Plug or patch

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I got a screw in the tread of my fallen ziex 512 tires. The tires are from 2003, have about 40k on them, and about 80% tread left. They're starting to show uv cracking, but they hold air perfectly, show no tread cracks, and they are onmy commuter car- it is rare I ever take them over 50mph.

All that said, I'm sure I can get another 2 years or so out of them, but I want the best repair to ensure this. Does that mean a plug or patch?

Thanks!!!

ditto on the patch. glad that you are both having good luck with your 512's. I had to replace mine at 3 years/30k miles. one of them would not balance, and they all had cracking. I have never had such poor service out of a tire.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Does that mean a plug or patch?

Plug AND patch, but if they won't do both, then I'd go for the patch.

Patch plug. I don't think that shops will patch a tire and put in an inner tube. That's what we used to do if it wasn't speed rated (H or above). I think we got away from doing that after I stopped working there. Patch plug is a good repair but requires re-balancing of the tire as you have to remove it from the rim..

You can plug it if you use the right plug and do it right..

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
plug and patch is the only approved method for the tire manufacturers, at least thats what i was told when i worked for sears.

Knowing Sears, that was probably their policy, not necessarily the tire manufacturers'. I've plugged a few tires and have had them hold up for years. If you do it right it should hold up. Patching from the inside is the best way, but if you're in a bind or just want to do it yourself, plugging isn't hard to do at all.

true, a lot of stuff was sears policy. its nice to get to take the tire off, especially if the tire was driven on with little or no air in it to check for sidewall confetti.

When I worked for WM, we had this poster on the wall from the Rubber Manufactures Association showing how to do a plug patch. Also mentioned it was the only approved repair.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
When I worked for WM, we had this poster on the wall from the Rubber Manufactures Association showing how to do a plug patch. Also mentioned it was the only approved repair.

Is Walmart a member of the Rubber Manufacturers Association? If so, then they'd probably have to adhere to that recommendation.

The best way to go is with a plug & patch. The plug is needed to help prevent water, salt, etc. from getting to the metal belts which sets up corrosion and further tire damage. The plug is strictly for air retention. Tire balancing is recommended after this repair.

Originally Posted By: xtell
The best way to go is with a plug & patch. The plug is needed to help prevent water, salt, etc. from getting to the metal belts which sets up corrosion and further tire damage. The plug is strictly for air retention. Tire balancing is recommended after this repair.

I agree with this. Also only repair if 1 inch from edge of thread. Tires should be removed to assure no damage or foreign object(s) remains in tire.

Originally Posted By: froggy81500
Is Walmart a member of the Rubber Manufacturers Association? ........

No, only folks who manufacture stuff out of rubber can be members of the RMA. (I would have thought that would be obvious because of the name?)

That means dealers, retailers, wholesalers, etc. can not be memebrs - and that would include WalMart, Discount Tire, Tire Rack, Ford, General Motors, ......

However, sometimes the RMA will grant observer status to someone. For example, NHTSA is allowed to attend certain committee mettings. The RMA does this to foster the cooperative nature of their interaction with the government.

Originally Posted By: froggy81500

If so, then they'd probably have to adhere to that recommendation.

NO ONE is required to adhere to the guideline. However, if a tire is not repaired according to the guieline, then the warranty is void. Plus there are legal liability implications.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CapriRacer

NO ONE is required to adhere to the guideline. However, if a tire is not repaired according to the guieline, then the warranty is void. Plus there are legal liability implications.

Warranty issues, that was my next guess. the tire manufacturers are not going to honor the warranty if te tire is not repaired by their approved methods. makes more sense now. And if walmart or sears does not do it the approved way, they are not going to get paid under the warranty. makes much more sense now. I failed to see the connection at first.

The ideal solution is a "mushroom patch" or a combination patch and fitted plug. The entry is supposed to be reamed out with an abrasive bit such that the plug portion fits perfectly in the "wound". I think it's also supposed to smooth out any jagged edges.

c08.jpg

http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=5

I recently got my tire patched. I thought I found a place (a Firestone Service place) that would do a full plug/patch complete with reaming out the puncture area, but they took a look at some inside shoulder tire wear (probably from riding on it while with low pressure coupled with negative camber) and refused to do the repair on the grounds of possible liability. They didn't charge me for the evaluation, but they would have charged maybe $34 for the job when other places were charging $25 for a patch only. A previous place took one look at the tire and refused. I found some other place to do a patch only, but they actually wrestled with whether or not to do it. I'm probably getting the replacement tire there in a few weeks.

I noticed that it's hard to get tire patched these days at tire shops even well within the thread area. I guess selling new tires makes a bigger profit margin.

Due to this, the last 3 flat tires I fixed myself with premium vulcanizing plugs and no problems whatsoever many K miles later.

I understand the plug/patch is the best but good plug is almost as good.

I found myself with a nail in my tire a long way from anywhere.

The tire probably only had 35% left. I keep a tire plugging kit and 12v compressor in my truck. I plugged it on the spot and filled the tire, then chopped the end off with a set of side cutters. Plugging it took about 2 minutes and filling it took close to 1/2 hour. I drove it like that for the next year until I got new tires and had no problems. That kit saved me some grief that day and is a better repair than an aerosol can of spooge.

If I had been in town I'm not sure if I would have taken it in given the tire didn't have that much life left.

Last edited:
This one looks good to me: http://www.safetyseal.com/store/safety.htm

I have not used it, but the company seems to have a good reputation for plugs. The patch plus liquid filler looks to have the advantage that it can fill angled punctures. I also figure it is probably good in that the reamed out hole won't be precise. So it may be even better than the mushroom patch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back