Please don't text and drive - I almost hit a kid today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand "the headphone crowd". What's up with this headphone fettish? It's like these people are perpetually walking around with headphones bolted on their skulls.

No different than kids of the 90s, 80s and 70s. New tech bring new products. Boomboxes, video games. No difference than the kids of the 50's that listened to vinyl in their treehouse.

Originally Posted by Mike L. V.
No different than kids of the 90s, 80s and 70s. New tech bring new products. Boomboxes, video games. No difference than the kids of the 50's that listened to vinyl in their treehouse.

Key difference: kids listening to vinyl in their treehouse were able to hear a car coming when they went to cross the street because the phonograph wasn't in their ears.

Kids with a Walkman in the 80s may have had earphones in place, but they weren't staring at a little blue screen and walking into traffic without looking.

This new tech has brought, for some users, complete oblivion to their surroundings. They walk into stationary objects, they walk into the street without looking.

Previous tech didn't have that result.

Originally Posted by Pew
Originally Posted by dlundblad
This reminds me of the train engineer that kicked the kid back from a train because he was taking a selfie on the tracks.

You did good by honking. Hopefully he learned something.

Last year my train going into the city had to pull an emergency stop because some high school kid was standing right next to the tracks, facing down at his phone, back to the tracks and we missed him by less than a foot. He looked up only when the wall of air hit him as we passed him. The train horn was blaring for at least 20 seconds but the kid didn't hear because he had his headphones in. 45MPH to zero takes a long time in a fully loaded passenger train and you could smell the brakes heating up. I really hoped the conductor kicked that kid's behind.

Dang, you have to be listening to music pretty darn loud to not hear a train horn blasting.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by Pew
This reminds me of the train engineer that kicked the kid back from a train because he was taking a selfie on the tracks.

Last year my train going into the city had to pull an emergency stop because some high school kid was standing right next to the tracks, facing down at his phone, back to the tracks and we missed him by less than a foot. He looked up only when the wall of air hit him as we passed him. The train horn was blaring for at least 20 seconds but the kid didn't hear because he had his headphones in. 45MPH to zero takes a long time in a fully loaded passenger train and you could smell the brakes heating up. I really hoped the conductor kicked that kid's behind.

Dang, you have to be listening to music pretty darn loud to not hear a train horn blasting.

For years I lived next to tram tracks. And those where quieter than trains running/air horns.

What kind of music/headphones was he using?

My generation: found hunting shells and place them on the train tracks. The local militia appeared got alerted in about 1.5 days.

RE: people versus trains: I knew of a drunk case, where he #1 on a high voltage line.....He didn't survive

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by Pew

For years I lived next to tram tracks. And those where quieter than trains running/air horns.

What kind of music/headphones was he using?

They were those over-the-ear Beats or Bose. I didn't realize those sealed sound THAT well. This was on the Metra inbound to the City but the train was able to slow down enough that we fully stopped with the kid next to the second car.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back