Pittsburgh Automotive 1.5 Ton Aluminum Floor Jack, ~$68. 5/14 only

I have one of those...only jack that will get under my Vette. Works pretty well, but I'm not a fan of the single wheel in the front. It doesn't have a bearing, and just slides on the concrete most of the time. Mine has done that to the point, there is a slight flat spot. That also causes it to not move a bit as the jack raises, to keep it directly below the load. If I use it in my garage on the super smooth concrete, it is not a problem, but in my driveway, not so nice. I may get another though, as it sure beats dragging out my 5 ton beast for small cars.

I've owned one for years and find it to be very practical serviceable jack, especially at price point here. Iirc, think it was $60 on sale, but that was years ago. 'Imo,' if one is looking for a jack to put in the trunk, topic would fit the bill.

I do have those but I switched to steel 3 ton low pros. Mine eventually leaked and I also thought it’s too small for my wife’s SUV which is almost 5,000 lbs. the price also seems high but I get it’s now 2024 and I got them 2009

I've been debating one of these. How would they do in a gravel driveway? I hate carrying around my 3 ton steel jack to do my mom's winter/all season tire swapout.

Very good price although I'd caution that it's on the slim side at 1.5 tons. 3k lbs would be adequate for smaller vehicles raising one wheel w/some safety margin. Grab some jack stands for safety while you're there. I'm headed to a newly opened one today. Trying to find a vice for the garage.

I've been debating one of these. How would they do in a gravel driveway? I hate carrying around my 3 ton steel jack to do my mom's winter/all season tire swapout.
you shouldn't jack on a gravel driveway. The jack has to roll forward as the lift arm lifts or the car might tumble off of it.. This style would be even worse than the 4 wheeled jack type.

Last edited:
All these aluminum bolt-together jacks tweak out of square pretty easily. They need a good foundation, even if that's a piece of hardwood

For about $70 I may pick one up. I was actually going to buy this Jack a few months ago but opted for the ‘Daytona’ 1.5 ton green and black colored one. It has two wheels in front rather than the single little roller. I wanted something lighter and smaller than my bigger heavier Jack. So far it fits the bill. But this Pittsburg 1.5 may be a great thing to toss in the back of the car for a spare.

Gravel destroys any floor jack-they sink, and the gravel destroys the surface of the cylinder piston. That’s if they don’t fall over when lifting!
At my parents farm, they had gravel on a lot of the roads out there (central Texas.) I used to use a piece of cut off Baltic Birch plywood (good strong and thick stuff) under the jack. Worked well. Important to try and be as level as possible.

I'm to the point now where I'm willing to go to an estate sale and get a better 'anything' that way.

So many Boomers are giving up the hobby. It's silly to pay retail for second-tier products.

Back