Piston Soak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: WyrTwister
After you pulled the plugs & blew out the gas , was the engine permanently damaged ?

thanks , :)

No, and I think it was because it was not an interference engine. I have seen Asian 4 cylinder hydro-locked and they have either a bent valve stem or broken rings.

I can't see as how it being interference or non would make a difference
21.gif

If the valves are open, whatever is in the cylinder is going to go out them. A hydro-lock occurs when an engine has something incompressible in a cylinder that is on the compression stroke, meaning all valves are closed. Whether it is interference or not at that juncture is entirely irrelevant.

Where interference makes a difference is when a timing belt snaps, a chain lets go or a chain jumps a tooth. On an interference engine this ends up causing the valves and pistons to meet each other. On a non-interference engine, the valves cannot, during that process, come in contact with the pistons.

There is less clearance in an interference engine when TDC with valves closed versus a non-interference engine. I only guessed I didn't say this was for sure. I have no way to tell.

All the Hydrolocked engines I got to see (because it's rare) where damaged existed were in interference engines of the Asian persuasion.
lol.gif

Last edited:
There is less clearance in an interference engine when TDC with valves closed versus a non-interference engine.

Not necessarily. Pent-roof versus semi-hemi versus wedge, there are plenty of different valve arrangements that have an impact on how much lift is required for the valves to hit the pistons. What you are talking about is ultimately part of what dictates the compression ratio (in conjunction with bore diameter and stroke). An engine with a mild camshaft and valve reliefs can still have a high compression ratio and be non-interference, the same engine with more lift can be interference, yet they would have the identical volume above the piston at TDC.

I only guessed I didn't say this was for sure. I have no way to tell.

Well, I would argue it is irrelevant. Water/gas/coolant are not compressible, it doesn't matter if your chamber volume is 60cc or 85cc, you put 500ml of fluid in there and you are going to bend a rod if you try hard enough
grin.gif

All the Hydrolocked engines I got to see (because it's rare) where damaged existed were in interference engines of the Asian persuasion.
lol.gif

I've seen it on a Briggs and Stratton flat-head, a Ford 302, an SBC, and a few outboards that were submerged and somebody wasn't smart enough to pull the plugs before they started them. Actually saw it on a Snowmobile once for the same reason
lol.gif
(it went swimming). I would posit that perhaps the examples you've seen it on were all simply more prone to it, or was simply coincidence. Ultimately the result is generally the same when you have a volume of incompressible fluid large enough to cause a lock and/or bent rod, its the likelihood of that fluid getting in there that varies and is perhaps more likely with certain designs or certain vehicles.

I'm gonna PM you before I post anything... Seems to be lots of issues and rather than argue I will run it by you first to prevent this.

cheers3.gif

I do not see how being an interference engine could have any effect on hydrolocking either.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

I've seen it on a Briggs and Stratton flat-head, a Ford 302, an SBC, and a few outboards that were submerged and somebody wasn't smart enough to pull the plugs before they started them. Actually saw it on a Snowmobile once for the same reason
lol.gif
(it went swimming). I would posit that perhaps the examples you've seen it on were all simply more prone to it, or was simply coincidence. Ultimately the result is generally the same when you have a volume of incompressible fluid large enough to cause a lock and/or bent rod, its the likelihood of that fluid getting in there that varies and is perhaps more likely with certain designs or certain vehicles.
Right. I knew a kid who took the family farm tractor (a diesel International) swimming," with the same result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back