Pistachios vs. chips

Been off chips and crackers for a few months as well as cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. and having pistachios instead. Not sure how smart that is after reading the label which says 170 calories a serving. That's more than the chips. And a 1 pound bag only lasts 2-3 days. Is substituting nuts for chips or other bad-for-you snacks really such a great idea?

Have you measured out how much you eat? Many (if not all?) find that unless they buy single serving containers, they do not get anywhere near the amount of “servings” that a big bag or container says it has. 10 servings in a bag of potato chips? more like 4 (on a good day!).

Something I’ve been meaning to try is something like hummus on whole wheat pita bread, with maybe baby carrots on the side. Much more filling, with perhaps less calories altogether.

Almonds are in my 'Keto' relatives snacking menu.
The Walmart seems to have the different flavors in stock all the time.
The almonds dusted with cocoa powder are delicate and quite good.

However, almond farming requires a lot of water so brace yourself for "aquatic ridicule".

edit: I think hummus is high in carbohydrates; what the OP wants to reduce.

Been off chips and crackers for a few months as well as cookies, cake, ice cream, etc. and having pistachios instead. Not sure how smart that is after reading the label which says 170 calories a serving. That's more than the chips. And a 1 pound bag only lasts 2-3 days. Is substituting nuts for chips or other bad-for-you snacks really such a great idea?
Even better if you buy the raw / unsalted pistachios. Once you go back to salted, they are just too strong.

Stay away from cold cuts. ;)
What's wrong with them? I'm not talking salami or bologna but 98% fat free turkey, chicken or ham.

+1
Most ppl are actually more thirsty than hungry.
Water does the body wonders, but you can't sell ppl on that!
Not water but I go through 2 gallons of Arizona Diet ice tea a week. Hydration and it stops desire for cake or cookie type goods.

Are you wanting to cut weight or just giving up junk. When you eat dinner will it consist of lots of vegetables.
Cut weight. Last few months 2/3 to 3/4 of dinner has been salad and the rest some kind of meat.

Last edited:
I love pistachios. But after snacking on them a few days in a row, just like any other snack, I get tired of them.

So many of the foods that are more healthy for us, also have their down sides. I love fruits, such as apples, oranges, and bananas. But all of these are loaded with sugar. Pecans and pistachios, although have good fats, are loaded with calories. I can only eat celery and baby carrots, before I get tired of them.

Switching between snacks really helps for me.

Back