Pickup truck vs. car + trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.
My old coupe was only just over four feet shorter than my crewcab pickup. Coupe + trailer would never fit in the garage. The pickup fits and I could have even gone for the 6.5' bed, barely...

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
No room to park a trailer but have room for a truck? Spacial logistics doesn't compute.

I'll take a stab at this: backing a truck into a narrow driveway is easier than backing up a small car with a short wheelbase trailer. Past that, err... One can get a folding trailer, and fold it up and take up less space. My HF trailer did that, but I disabled the feature since I knew I'd never use it.

Originally Posted By: Coprolite
My old coupe was only just over four feet shorter than my crewcab pickup. Coupe + trailer would never fit in the garage. The pickup fits and I could have even gone for the 6.5' bed, barely...

I think that you are missing the point.

Unless you live in one of those "deed restricted" communities, you just park your trailer beside your garage or barn and hook it up to your car when you need it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
My Dodge Ram gets 25 MPG.

I could probably put your Civic and your trailer on my 12K GVW trailer and still get 25 MPG.

That's impressive.

My Civic averages about 36mpg when it is not pulling a trailer and 30mpg when it is.

I never haul cars but if that is what you do then your Dodge is perfect for you.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eric Smith
No room to park a trailer but have room for a truck? Spacial logistics doesn't compute.

Trailers take up almost as much space as another vehicle.

Back when I needed a trailer and a pickup, the trailer was kept in the back yard chained to the deck. It was against my HOA's regulations to have it stored outside at all, but they let it slide because the trailer was out of sight and the neighbors didn't complain.

I don't need a trailer or really a pickup anymore, but I hang on to the truck because I like it and it's still useful to me. Having one right sized truck works better for me than a car and a trailer would, and the types of cars I'd even want to own don't get really great MPG anyway. I live in a downtown apartment now, so a trailer would have to stay at my aunt's house. I keep enough junk there as it is, so I don't need to add a trailer to it. Plus it would probably get stolen. Trailers are not hassle-free.

If a car and a trailer works, by all means use it. For some a pickup works out better.

I put my 5x8 enclosed trailer all the way into my 2-car garage then turn it 90 degrees. That leaves enough room for two cars as well.

The best combo is a pickup and trailer, than you can tow cars, boats, and ATV's and such.

The car and trailer thing is great if you are a homeowner and move a couch once in awhile.

Not sure why this thread got resurrected? I mean, I have both and like the options of using either. But this thread came and went long ago, pretty sure we have newer versions of it too.

A cargo van is better than both. 12 feet of fully enclosed hauling without towing. Most can tow pretty well too if you really have lots to haul. Plus they sell for less than trucks.

Originally Posted by dareo
A cargo van is better than both. 12 feet of fully enclosed hauling without towing. Most can tow pretty well too if you really have lots to haul. Plus they sell for less than trucks.

Yeah but they rarely have 4WD option. Friends of ours had a 3/4 ton (I think, it looked pretty heavy duty for a 1/2 ton) for a family vehicle (not a cargo version!) and they basically couldn't drive it if it snowed--they weren't the sort to run snow tires, but still, the thing would get stuck if it saw snow.

But yeah, at times I miss having a minivan, my parents had one and it certainly was a workhorse.

i guess that depends on how bad your snow is but a cargo van is better than a 2WD pickup due to the heavy cargo box. None of them came factory 4x4 and conversions are not cheap.

i guess that depends on how bad your snow is but a cargo van is better than a 2WD pickup due to the heavy cargo box. None of them came factory 4x4 and conversions are not cheap.

Chevy Express/GMC Savana came with factory AWD option. They're not nearly as common as the RWD ones though.

The 4WD vans are outrageous … shame too … great platform for a small camper … especially in a park that has restrooms etc …

Originally Posted by exranger06

Chevy Express/GMC Savana came with factory AWD option. They're not nearly as common as the RWD ones though.

I looked at some GM AWD vans yesterday … one had 388k and some from 100k to 200k+
Guess they did not sell … rare as hens teeth …

I used to service a Chevy express 1500 van for Canadian blood services in the express lube when I worked at Goodyear still. It was all wheel drive and had the 4.8. in 130k miles it had zero work besides oil changes and had all original brakes and suspension.

These would be great for my work doing land surveying/construction layout. I'd put a little desk in the back to do my notes. Doing them in the driver's seat is a pain in the Silverado. Even worse in the Tacoma one of the other guys drives now.

Originally Posted by getnpsi
I'm over trucks too. I'd consider a light or medium duty fullsize classic to restore, as it's cheaper for parts and when you are done it still has plenty of use. I like the 1969-1973 Ford F100, "uncle jesse's rig" from dukes of hazzard. Anything brand mid 1960's and earlier cleaned up and EFI converted would be fine by me.

73-87 Chevy with a 5.3 swap would be my choice. But I'm settling for my 83 Caprice with a class 2 hitch and hopefully next year the 5.3 swap. I can get well over 20mpg highway as long as it's not hilly or windy. The 5.3 will probably help with that some. Hoping for 25mpg average.

Originally Posted by exranger06

They only made those in the 1500 vans, so any heavy hauler needs cannot be met with a low payload. Those are nice for passengers though.

Right tool for the right job guys -

A full half ton truck has incredible capability - but unless you use it for that its an excessive, and a poor choice.

A midsize truck is a much better choice for almost everyone - but people let their egos get in the way and buy too much truck much more often than too little.

A car with a trailer is stuck towing at trailering speed where a pickup with a load in the bed is not.

Dragging around half again as much to double the rubber will never get you the same economy.

A midsize truck has the capability that half tons had just 10-15 years ago and deliver mileage technology AND utility.

UD

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back