(Pic Heavy) Chevy Impala Rental Car Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
It actually won a number of these - previous model made it hard / and dumping is alive and well

I just got back from a road trip in a 2016 Impala with the V6.
Denver to Vegas to L.A. to San Diego then back to L.A. and Vegas and then to Denver.
I spent the entire trip in the back seat.
Roomy, quiet and smooth ride.
But the back seat bottom cushion is too flat and hard.
Probably fine for short rides but hour after hour my butt hurt.

This gen to me is the coolest Impala in a long time. I agree on the steering wheel. It just looks weird. I like the interior overall.

I think it's official that it's been discontinued.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
All the Impalas for sale from Hertz around here, about 200 of them have the 2.5 4 cylinder in them. So good thing you didn't get one of those.
I'd pick the 4 cylinder if I wanted to save money on the purchase price, and drove half-way gently enough to not exceed the most efficient 75% load that gets you max MPG. This works for a lot of people's style. For a rental car, yep, want the V6 !

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
My wife put 250,000 trouble free miles on her Impala before we sold it. I give it 2 thumbs up.

You're probably talking about the previous generation of Impala, W Body, most likely with pushrod engines (Buick 3800 or Chevy V6).
Thats completely different than the latest GM Epsilon II body Impala discussed here. This Impala shares its body with the Cadillac XTS. The engine is the uber-complicated 24-valve V6 most W-Body Impalas didn't have (later ones had it).

Fwiw I rented both the 2017 Impala 4cyl and 2017 XTS V6 platform mates within a week from each other. I found the 4cyl Impala to be enough for me around town and on the highway. Just looking it up now it does 0-60 in 8.7 for a 3700lb car which isn't horrible. Only problem with either was parking the whale of a car in the tiny one car garage usually reserved for my hatchback.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Year model and mileage?

Not sure of the year (my guess would be a 2016) but we crossed the 15,000 mile mark while we had it.

Good review.

I've had the same car as a rental and put over 600 miles over 2 weeks. I wouldn't buy one but it drove very nice. I agree with others that the steering wheel design is very ugly.

I rent the new Impala with regularity. However, I've not rented the latest version with the V6. FWIW, the 4 cylinder version is downright annoying to drive when loaded up, screaming at 5000 RPM in the hills. And I find the 4 cylinder front suspension inadequate on rough city streets, regularly "topping" out (reaching the top of the suspension travel as if jumping the car) over city bumps and jars. I'm sure the V6 is far more pleasing in the power department. I wonder if the heavier V6 also has upgraded suspension, or if the additional weight settles the car down a bit.

I found out recently that you can get a light-colored interior in an Impala, you just have to buy the top-of-the-line model, but at least it's not all black interiors. A sharp-looking car with a dark exterior and light interior.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I rent the new Impala with regularity. However, I've not rented the latest version with the V6. FWIW, the 4 cylinder version is downright annoying to drive when loaded up, screaming at 5000 RPM in the hills. And I find the 4 cylinder front suspension inadequate on rough city streets, regularly "topping" out (reaching the top of the suspension travel as if jumping the car) over city bumps and jars. I'm sure the V6 is far more pleasing in the power department. I wonder if the heavier V6 also has upgraded suspension, or if the additional weight settles the car down a bit.

The V6 gives you 305hp vs 196hp and only a 2mpg (24mpg vs 26mpg combined) hit. In my opinion it's well worth it.

I give it a big thumbs up. I've driven a rental 3 times, Very solid structure. Should have the LFX V-6. One of GM's best efforts in the modern era (post 2008). Probably the nicest full size fwd car on the road,

An LTZ (top of the line?) Impala parked next to me last weekend. Black, with a biscuit-tan interior and dark piping on the seats like the old Jaguar sedans, a tiny bit more chrome: dynamite looking. Maybe in a few years, when even the top models are reasonably priced, I can look at them seriously.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral
An LTZ (top of the line?) Impala parked next to me last weekend. Black, with a biscuit-tan interior and dark piping on the seats like the old Jaguar sedans, a tiny bit more chrome: dynamite looking. Maybe in a few years, when even the top models are reasonably priced, I can look at them seriously.

We just purchased one today. A 2017 Impala Premier with the 3.6. and only 20,000km's on it. We pick it up this Wednesday and my wife and I can't wait. We drove many cars while looking to upgrade from her 2002 Olds Intrigue, and, by far, the Impala was the best riding, smoothest, quickest of the cars we drove. We both loved it. Personally, I think it is well appointed and I don't find anything negative to say about the interior or the dash. Granted, it's a big difference from our 02 Olds, but I find everything easy and simple to use.
The one thing I also liked was the 5 out of 5 safety rating! Our son, who recently turned 16, will be driving this car occasionally and I like knowing that. 10 air bags throughout will help me breath easier. It also comes with the front collision alert, blind spot alert, rear crossover alert and lane departure warning. We chose black, and I think the car looks very classy. Can't wait to get it home!

These are excellent cars. It’s a shame it doesn’t sell better. Everyone buys SUV’s / CUV’s / Crossovers / and Trucks. The current sales patterns are devastating to the sedan market. The Luxury SUV has [censored] near killed the Luxury car.

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
These are excellent cars. It’s a shame it doesn’t sell better. Everyone buys SUV’s / CUV’s / Crossovers / and Trucks. The current sales patterns are devastating to the sedan market. The Luxury SUV has [censored] near killed the Luxury car.

Unfortunately, GM has overpriced them as well. The Premier model, with an option or 2 is north of 50g's up here in Canada. A dealer/salesman friend of mine said, when they get to that level, people start looking at BMW's, Audi's and the like.
My wife, who works at GM, said what you also said, however. People, especially in the States currently, are truck/SUV crazy. Not near as many people want cars anymore.
It is a shame as this is one sweet car! We brought it home last night and what a ride! Super smooth, comfy and quiet! The 3.6 is also sneaky fast. I was up over 130 kms an hour and I didn't even know it. It is so linear, it takes nothing, if you are not paying attention, to reach those speeds and more! We absolutely love it. It is simply a gorgeous car all around.

Originally Posted By: irv

The Premier model, with an option or 2 is north of 50g's up here in Canada. A dealer/salesman friend of mine said, when they get to that level, people start looking at BMW's, Audi's and the like.
My wife, who works at GM, said what you also said, however. People, especially in the States currently, are truck/SUV crazy. Not near as many people want cars anymore.

Nailed it, couldn't agree more.

I don't think it's overpriced, it just doesn't have the prestige that comes with a luxury car badge, even though it is every bit as much car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back