Phone says it needs a "Network Unlock" 4 digit code...

Last post of the night for me.. trying to clear caches and things, as it can sometimes take awhile for the network to properly process basic functions like texts. When it gets going it should be fine.

So. Attempting to get to Wipe Cache Partition screen.. what is this screen, how long will it be on this and how to get out of? From memory, it is on this for an hour or two then just kind of gets out of it by itself.
?
Screenshot_20220921-211341_Camera.jpg

Just understand that you won't be having the best T-Mobile experience with this antiquated phone

It's missing all the greatest hits (LTE/5G bands) that have made T-Mobile relevant outside cities for the past 5 years

No B71/n71, no N41 5G, VoLTE/VoWiFi won't work

Band 2/4 means reasonably speedy LTE, but poor range and building penetration

B12 can help, but it's narrow and gets congested easily

And with no B71/n71, your missing out on Extended Range LTE, that's made T-Mobile useful outside a major city

...can you tell I did this for a living 😏

Just understand that you won't be having the best T-Mobile experience with this antiquated phone

It's missing all the greatest hits (LTE/5G bands) that have made T-Mobile relevant outside cities for the past 5 years

No B71/n71, no N41 5G, VoLTE/VoWiFi won't work

Band 2/4 means reasonably speedy LTE, but poor range and building penetration

B12 can help, but it's narrow and gets congested easily

And with no B71/n71, your missing out on Extended Range LTE, that's made T-Mobile useful outside a major city

...can you tell I did this for a living 😏
Now you're almost making me want to select some kind of 5.1 inch better Samsung phone 🤣🤣

Simple Mobile has been really good for me,..... only $27 a month and that is with tax included..

Now you're almost making me want to select some kind of 5.1 inch better Samsung phone 🤣🤣

Simple Mobile has been really good for me,..... only $27 a month and that is with tax included..
If it works for you, it works

But if your phone's dropping out when someone else's newer T-Mobile spec device is working, don't blame Simple Mobile

I liken an out of date/wrong model phone to an old analog car radio
1663835612170.png

Now imagine if you couldn't tune to half of the dial, because your radio was old/outdated/broken

Is that the radio stations fault?

Yes, you can hear something, but is it really the same?

I always liked the Active series, shame it was an AT&T exclusive

fyi you could disable the bixby button or make it do something else.. it was configurable on most devices.

IIRC phones that old are vulnerable to the drive by text attack.

someone texts you and you dont even see it but they take over your phone.

Just one of many reasons not to use an antique.

Phones aren’t like cars. A six year old car is viable and performs well. Even a 90 year old car can be driven on modern roads.

The changes in protocols and in technology make a six year old phone really outdated. It won’t perform nearly as well as a newer one.

For that reason (and the inevitable battery performance decline) I get a new phone every couple of years.

It’s amusing to see people spend nearly a thousand dollars every month on a car payment, then balk at the price of a new phone. Or worse, finance the new phone. Phones have become so important for many of us, that an $800 and up purchase should be a non-event.

I use my phone to book hotels, airline and train tickets, museum tickets, subway and train tickets, pay for various items (Apple Pay) including beer and/or dinner for the crew in London (where cash is no longer accepted at many places), do my banking and bill paying, email, take pictures, shop, call friends and relatives, text, and oh yeah, post on internet fora…

With all that, I want a fast, well-connected, reliable device with a good camera and lots of memory.

I don’t mind paying for it.

Last edited:
Phones aren’t like cars. A six year old car is viable and performs well. Even a 90 year old car can be driven on modern roads.

The changes in protocols and in technology make a six year old phone really outdated. It won’t perform nearly as well as a newer one.

For that reason (and the inevitable battery performance decline) I get a new phone every couple of years.

It’s amusing to see people spend nearly a thousand dollars every month on a car payment, then balk at the price of a new phone. Or worse, finance the new phone. Phones have become so important for many of us, that an $800 and up purchase should be a non-event.

I use my phone to book hotels, airline and train tickets, museum tickets, subway and train tickets, pay for various items (Apple Pay) including beer and/or dinner for the crew in London (where cash is no longer accepted at many places), do my banking and bill paying, email, take pictures, shop, call friends and relatives, text, and oh yeah, post on internet fora…

With all that, I want a fast, well-connected, reliable device with a good camera and lots of memory.

I don’t mind paying for it.

To add to this excellent post, if one didn’t have a iPhone or similar device they would have to have a landline at home ( if you can still get one) plus write checks for bills, run around burning gasoline and your own time shopping, spend time in line getting tickets, carry a camera around if you wanted to take picture, and a long list of additional factors that would cost you more money in the end.

I will be stepping out for my morning walk in a while and my iPhone will monitor everything associated with that walk including speed and miles but also my walking gait, steadiness, calories burned and a lot more. I keep track of my blood sugars and it reminds me to take my medications.

The iPhone does so much that it would take too long to list everything here.

In fact, I just scanned my new First Class Medical (saved as a .pdf) so that I can have an archive copy as well as email it to our company admin folks to update my records. So very convenient to have this technology in the palm of my hand.

So very convenient to have this technology in the palm of my hand.
And you don't have to spend a lot doing it either. My current phone I purchase at Wally, Moto G Pure for $52. My Tracfone bill is $22 a month. It doesn't take very good pictures in low light but don't care.

I'll second the TracFone as we have three of them, but hardly use them because the phone are prepaid, but use them for walkie talkie instant text, chat and images. Our latest phablet phone is smaller than a tablet but larger than a smart phone we use this strictly for offline maps and navigations.

Its working pretty well, I've always enjoyed S7 Active and is easily replaceable if something happens to it. Won't be my first rodeo with it.

My service goes off soon and I am OCD about paying on or just before the 1st of the month. $27 a month really isn't much at all for unlimited service.

Just wanted to update the thread that the seller was willing to make good on my issue.

Now in a different aspect of this whole thing I think the major problem with just about any phone I can't think of one that doesn't is gives all of the information collected by after third parties and you don't know who's doing what with what and it doesn't even tell you that it's giving the info...

Screenshot_20220922-130809_Chrome.jpg

Aside from me asking it to make a phone call and it appearing to not want to make a phone call the phone is working good.

Make sure that VoLTE (sometimes also known as HD Voice) is turned on. It is now the only voice mode supported on most networks.
I'm looking for where that setting is. Can't seem to find it. Seem to have found everything else

Reset network APNs (I did)

A fun thing about Android is that every carrier gets to tinker with the menu system. So there's never one set of instructions how to do something. This article seems to cover most of the US versions:

Another place to look is under More on the Phone app itself.

If you don't see any of these options try running Software Update to make sure you have the last version.

If your looking for a budget Android phone that'll work on T-Mobiles network properly, consider
  1. Moto G Pure
  2. Galaxy A03s
  3. Galaxy A13
  4. T-Mobile branded Revvl 4/6/V+5G
A used Galaxy S20/S21 could also fit the bill

Will Apple iPhone SE 3rd Gen work?​

I think you're on to something about the 5G.

Maybe time to switch to iPhone..

The T-mobile Prepaid phones are likely to be locked to own-brand T-Mobile. Would be best to avoid those, the prices are not very good anyway.

Simple's website seems to have a good price on the iPhone SE, at least on the page for new customers.

Okay so the latest with this whole thing is that my S7 active is basically a text only phone now because it won't talk to the network for calls.

So I really am trying to make a goal that in about a month or so I can buy one of the third generation iPhone SE for my provider it only costs approximately $400 and even though that's the most I'll ever have paid for a phone if the cheapest iPhone by far and I hope they don't raise the price.

As long as I can use Waze.......

Back