PF...Screwdiver Showdown

We use WIHA and PB swiss in my work.
The Tips of the green WIHA are on the soft side, they wore out over a year of use. I dont like them.
Saying this, WIHA has a yellow series with harder tips... intendend for garage use when you sometimes hammer on the screwdriver. But i never owned or used them. But these would be the ones i would buy for using in my garage.

The PB Swiss last forever, they are perfetcly hardened. Outstanding impressive qualitiy. They will serve your grandkids. But never use these screwdrivers as breaker bar, the tip is likely to snap.

FELO are great value. Good average Quality.

I own the VESSEL srewdrivers for use on my japanese vehicles, so far they are good, average quality. The tips fit perfect into Japanese JIS screws.

I have Wiha, Wera, and some 20ish yo Craftsman in my tool boxes. Only wore out a couple Craftsman #2s but there's always a new one around the corner.

My Kleins didn’t fare too well.

9454E18E-FCAA-407A-9DDD-0531A771E773.jpeg

My Dad was an electrician for 40 years. He bought Klein tools, and didn't care what they cost. To him, they were worth it, those tools helped him make a living.

And I got yelled at more than once, as a kid, for touching them.

We use WIHA and PB swiss in my work.
The Tips of the green WIHA are on the soft side, they wore out over a year of use. I dont like them.
Saying this, WIHA has a yellow series with harder tips... intendend for garage use when you sometimes hammer on the screwdriver. But i never owned or used them. But these would be the ones i would buy for using in my garage.

The PB Swiss last forever, they are perfetcly hardened. Outstanding impressive qualitiy. They will serve your grandkids. But never use these screwdrivers as breaker bar, the tip is likely to snap.

FELO are great value. Good average Quality.

I own the VESSEL srewdrivers for use on my japanese vehicles, so far they are good, average quality. The tips fit perfect into Japanese JIS screws.
PB Swiss are amazing, the fit, finish and quality of the materials is head and shoulders above most others. How many other brands of screwdrivers have an individual serial number on the blade? I use the hard red handle ones from Hoffman that no one else seems to sell. The only other ones that have lasted me for ages and are still going strong are the Walter, these are another top shelf tool.

I must say I have become fond of the Vessel ball grips, they have a great feel for me, others may hate them it is just a personal preference.

These are the ones Hoffman sells, good price too with no retail packaging.

IMG_0300.JPG

I wonder if the tip is ground off where it usually gets ruined phillips screwdrivers would work better? Or is it the tip gets beaten up as it cams out and strikes the wider part of the screw slot?

That is an old trick that works pretty slick. The more pointed the tip is the more it cams out, I just take a file to the tip and flatten it slightly or until it fits perfectly. Do not use a bench grinder, it will take the heat treating out.

I’m a screwdriver fanatic all my electrician’s drivers are Klein and greenlee. Mechanic’s screwdrivers steelcore channellock and my plumbers bag has the older craftsman made in USA 🇺🇸 acetate grips.

I do own some other’s such as USA 🇺🇸 Kobalt, whia, wera and horror freight for beaters.

I was glad and not surprised to see Wiha do so well in the comparison. I have a couple regular soft handle Wiha Phillips screwdrivers I brought back from Europe like 15 years ago and the tips are absolutely perfect despite the fact they're my most used PH1 & PH2 screwdrivers by a huge margin. My only complaint would be that the printing has worn off on the PH2 screwdriver, but that is kind of unavoidable on soft handle screwdrivers.

My best screwdrivers are Facom. Blade widths vary, and that is why you choose the tool suitable for the job. I think he should've match screw slots to blade width, and got more realistic results.

I was glad and not surprised to see Wiha do so well in the comparison. I have a couple regular soft handle Wiha Phillips screwdrivers I brought back from Europe like 15 years ago and the tips are absolutely perfect despite the fact they're my most used PH1 & PH2 screwdrivers by a huge margin. My only complaint would be that the printing has worn off on the PH2 screwdriver, but that is kind of unavoidable on soft handle screwdrivers.
I kind of was. I bought a set of regular ones around 2007, still have them all, but I’ve never been impressed by their performance. I have a set of those hammer cap ones, and they seem tougher, but I haven’t used them a lot.

I like my PB Swiss and old Craftsman screwdrivers. Ive had good luck with the US made husky drivers from HD too…

I have some cheap Mastercraft (Canadian Tire) ones for the kids to lose, some decent US made Craftsman ones for more general duty, some Snap-On ones for more demanding applications and some insulated Mannesmann German drivers for electrical work.

Sounds like i should be looking at PB Swiss, based on the comments in this thread.

I have some cheap Mastercraft (Canadian Tire) ones for the kids to lose, some decent US made Craftsman ones for more general duty, some Snap-On ones for more demanding applications and some insulated Mannesmann German drivers for electrical work.

Sounds like i should be looking at PB Swiss, based on the comments in this thread.

I don’t know that I’d use my PB Swiss drivers for real dirty or oily work, but their handles really are nice…

At work they use to use black handled Crescent brand screwdrivers. Best I ever used especially the phillips for a wear. If you did manage to bend one of the flat blade tips you could grind it off and make a good punch out of it.

Worst screwdriver is a Craftsman flat blade. No prying with those.

Back