Petro Canada Supreme synthetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used it with no complaints. I get it for free with Petro Points. Hard to go wrong there.
I believe last I read something on it is, it's not a long drain oil like some, but it has good cold weather properties.

I still would not hesitate to use it for the standard OCI I usually run (maintenance minder)

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: Oily_hair
Originally Posted By: WillB
Whats the consensus on the Supreme syn 5W30? Going to run it in my 2011 GMC 1500 4.8 next oil change, plan on staying full synthetic.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/594.aspx

What is the cost of Petro oil compared to oil sold at CanTire when on special? Is it not more expensive?

It is just over $10/L, and any other Dexos spec oils are close to $14/L.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I have used it with no complaints. I get it for free with Petro Points. Hard to go wrong there.
I believe last I read something on it is, it's not a long drain oil like some, but it has good cold weather properties.

I still would not hesitate to use it for the standard OCI I usually run (maintenance minder)

Hope this helps.

What would you re commend for long drain? GM says I can go 12,000km OCI.

Whats the consensus on the Supreme syn 5W30? Going to run it in my 2011 GMC 1500 4.8 next oil change, plan on staying full synthetic.

http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/594.aspx

What is the cost of Petro oil compared to oil sold at CanTire when on special? Is it not more expensive?

It is just over $10/L, and any other Dexos spec oils are close to $14/L.

PP or QSUD can be had for about roughly $30.00 on special for 5L jug ($6.00/L) I don't have any problem with Petro syn oil as I ask because I was interested in using it too but I think I'll stick with the cheaper stuff on special.

You can get the PC stuff for WAY less than that if you get it through the local distributor.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2084219/Re:_Petro-Canada_Supreme_Synth#Post2084219

I was paying $5.38/L

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You can get the PC stuff for WAY less than that if you get it through the local distributor.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2084219/Re:_Petro-Canada_Supreme_Synth#Post2084219

I was paying $5.38/L

Thanks. I will call one this week.

That thread was posted 5 years ago...I would think the prices have increased since then...seems like a hassle for an oil that won't do much much more than one you can get much more easily at your local CT and dexos approved too.

That thread was posted 5 years ago...I would think the prices have increased since then...seems like a hassle for an oil that won't do much much more than one you can get much more easily at your local CT and dexos approved too.
Its not a hassle to get, very accessable. I won't run Pennzoil, Castrol or Mobil, and CT is on the top end of the price scale. TSC is priced much lower than CT, just waiting for them to expand their stock.

I was paying $5.38/L

Do you just submit a quote to them? Do you need like a minimum amount? How do they deliver?

Wasn't a hassle for me. Local fuels place carried it, was closer than CT. I called them, they brought it in, I picked it up. Was pretty simple
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Stewie

I was paying $5.38/L

Do you just submit a quote to them? Do you need like a minimum amount? How do they deliver?

No quote, call 'em up and ask how much a case of whatever you want is. They'll bring in a 4x4 or a 12L case. IIRC, the 4x4 was a TOUCH cheaper but I preferred the 12L case for convenience.

I was paying $5.38/L

No quote, call 'em up and ask how much a case of whatever you want is. They'll bring in a 4x4 or a 12L case. IIRC, the 4x4 was a TOUCH cheaper but I preferred the 12L case for convenience.

Is this the number you used? 1-866-335-3369

Do they deliver with cad post or you pick it up somewhere?

Thanks

Last edited:

I was paying $5.38/L

Is this the number you used? 1-866-335-3369

Do they deliver with cad post or you pick it up somewhere?

Thanks

They have a distributor link on their website IIRC, my local was Upper Canada Fuels. I called them, they told me the price, I ordered the case, and then I picked it up. Took a couple days to come in.

Wasn't a hassle for me. Local fuels place carried it, was closer than CT. I called them, they brought it in, I picked it up. Was pretty simple
21.gif

I can see in your situation as you invested in the 0w30 which is a limited supply at CT but the OP wants 5w30....pretty common and an abundance they can find at great prices at various stores. If I have to call anyone by phone (which I hate doing) it's already a hassle and I don't have to worry about a minimum quantity order too. I'm still relatively new here so am I missing something or is PC synthetic that special compared to PP, QSUD, Castrol, etc. Is it comparable or better than say Castrol gold? According to the OP it's PC or nothing at all? And the price still isn't different than getting the 5L jug on special which CT should be due for their 45% off deals soon. I'm not knocking PetroCans oil as I would love to try some myself but wish I could pick it up without negotiating or ordering quanitities by phone.

21.gif

I can see in your situation as you invested in the 0w30 which is a limited supply at CT but the OP wants 5w30....pretty common and an abundance they can find at great prices at various stores. If I have to call anyone by phone (which I hate doing) it's already a hassle and I don't have to worry about a minimum quantity order too. I'm still relatively new here so am I missing something or is PC synthetic that special compared to PP, QSUD, Castrol, etc. Is it comparable or better than say Castrol gold? According to the OP it's PC or nothing at all? And the price still isn't different than getting the 5L jug on special which CT should be due for their 45% off deals soon. I'm not knocking PetroCans oil as I would love to try some myself but wish I could pick it up without negotiating or ordering quanitities by phone.

Well, I have a cell phone, and the Internet, so making that one minute phone call wasn't a big deal. If that's a problem for you, which it seems like it might be, then it isn't for you.

At the price I was getting for, it was literally 1/2 the price of your normal synthetic 5w-30, and there wasn't much in the way of options for 0w-30 products aside from GC, as at that point in time, M1 AFE 0w-30 wasn't sold up here.

My experience is sort of the opposite of what you've noted to be yours. For me, a hassle is driving up to either of our CT stores, going through the store, going to the oil section, selecting the product (if it is in stock), then going and waiting in line behind Bertha and Jim-Bob who are trying to get a refund on their Microwave that they cooked a set of silverware in while Jungle Jim picks his nose behind me and the guy behind him fills his shorts and it smells like he's eaten bad pork for the last month.

In stark contrast to that was calling Upper Canada fuels, confirming I wanted a case (12L) of the product. They called me when it was in, I swung by at my convenience with no worry about stock or lines, paid the woman, grabbed my case and was out of there.
21.gif
And I saved a pile of money in the process.

I've gotten even more lazy now and ordered my latest case of oil from Amazon and it was delivered to my work (Motul 0w-30). I'll probably do the same with filters going forward.

I hate stores. I'm not a people person and I avoid immersing myself in the pool of "public" whenever possible. The only time I AM willing to deal with that is when they've got one of the sales you've noted on where I can get AFE 0w-30 at a bargain price or they've got ammo on sale.
smile.gif

21.gif

Well, I have a cell phone, and the Internet, so making that one minute phone call wasn't a big deal. If that's a problem for you, which it seems like it might be, then it isn't for you.

At the price I was getting for, it was literally 1/2 the price of your normal synthetic 5w-30, and there wasn't much in the way of options for 0w-30 products aside from GC, as at that point in time, M1 AFE 0w-30 wasn't sold up here.

My experience is sort of the opposite of what you've noted to be yours. For me, a hassle is driving up to either of our CT stores, going through the store, going to the oil section, selecting the product (if it is in stock), then going and waiting in line behind Bertha and Jim-Bob who are trying to get a refund on their Microwave that they cooked a set of silverware in while Jungle Jim picks his nose behind me and the guy behind him fills his shorts and it smells like he's eaten bad pork for the last month.

In stark contrast to that was calling Upper Canada fuels, confirming I wanted a case (12L) of the product. They called me when it was in, I swung by at my convenience with no worry about stock or lines, paid the woman, grabbed my case and was out of there.
21.gif
And I saved a pile of money in the process.

I've gotten even more lazy now and ordered my latest case of oil from Amazon and it was delivered to my work (Motul 0w-30). I'll probably do the same with filters going forward.

I hate stores. I'm not a people person and I avoid immersing myself in the pool of "public" whenever possible. The only time I AM willing to deal with that is when they've got one of the sales you've noted on where I can get AFE 0w-30 at a bargain price or they've got ammo on sale.
smile.gif

We are definitely opposites...I can spend hours going through all the automotive products, tools, sports, etc. but a phone call seems to be a big chore. You did say a minute phone call...don't you have to find out prices and so on? I'm picturing a phone call like when you call a cable or phone company and being put on hold, then not understanding why you need a case of oil, and so on...you do make it seem like a painless procedure so I might just give it a try as I will need to restock my syn supplies soon. Thanks for you input in this thread Overkill. Much appreciated!!
smile.gif

We are definitely opposites...I can spend hours going through all the automotive products, tools, sports, etc. but a phone call seems to be a big chore. You did say a minute phone call...don't you have to find out prices and so on? I'm picturing a phone call like when you call a cable or phone company and being put on hold, then not understanding why you need a case of oil, and so on...you do make it seem like a painless procedure so I might just give it a try as I will need to restock my syn supplies soon. Thanks for you input in this thread Overkill. Much appreciated!!
smile.gif

You are calling (at least in my case) a company that wholesales fuels and lubricants. She asked what I was looking for, she brought it up on their system and gave me the price. I told her to order it. I wasn't put on hold at any point during all of this and the same person who answered the phone was the same person who did the look-up, processed the order and was the same person who I paid when picked up the product
smile.gif

It was about a minute. These aren't generally places that deal with the public, they deal with shops that just want to call up, order what they want and have it delivered or pick it up. Subsequently there were no unnecessary steps in the process and it was very quick.

It was, as I noted, quite painless. A painful call is calling up Bell Canada. That's a nightmare. If that's what you relate to when you think about picking up the phone, I feel your pain, LOL!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back