Permatex Easy Disassembly RTV’s

If you check the the www.permatex.com website you’ll notice a video of someone easily peeling off a RTV gasket. This is Permatex Easy Disassembly RTV. It’s offered in the Optimum line of RTV’s. Some folks might find it handy if for some reason they think they may have to remove a component in the future. Here are some screen shots. Enjoy.

1F77177A-F5F0-40C5-8EF7-6BF1D69E3D0D.png
DD5D9D37-9C2A-4330-BCB6-7147773A82B8.png
0284AE75-57D6-4A07-8297-6EE5F93B400C.png

Last edited:
If it easily peels off after taking it apart, it's adhesive properties must be minimal when parts are assembled. Wouldn't that make it more prone to leaking?
I suspect it works just like many rubber gaskets do. It’s not the adhesive properties that make it a sealant, but the compressibility. Squeeze it like rubber so it displaces all air between parts, and walla, you got a seal. Just a theory. Would I use it? Maybe for something that needs to come apart more often, like a valve cover gasket. But an oil pan? Something I don’t want to change ever again? No.

If I'm taking apart something I just put together with RTV, it's probably because the RTV is leaking. :whistle:

I don't need easy disassembly, I need it to come off the surface easy as in cleaning it off. In my opinion, RTV should only be used for house projects, not cars and trucks. I rarely use the stuff.

If you're using RTV it's likely in an area that ideally shouldn't require servicing for a long time. Although many manufacturers do use RTV on differential covers (Ford) and transmission pans. In those cases it's easier to simply get a gasket.

RTVs also require more prep than a gasket and in this case I'm guessing it's even more important to follow the instruction of hand tight first only, wait 24 hrs to cure, then torque to spec.

I don't need easy disassembly, I need it to come off the surface easy as in cleaning it off. In my opinion, RTV should only be used for house projects, not cars and trucks. I rarely use the stuff.

What should you use on cars and trucks?

What should you use on cars and trucks?
What was used before RTV became a thing.
And in situations it is meant for an anaerobic.
I just spent 2 hours cleaning off RTV crap from a transmission case, yeah I know most people would just buzz it off and ruin the machined surfaces, but they then wouldn't spend 2 hours at it.
For an RTV story look at the problems with the 2016 up oil pan sealing issue ford had with trucks. It now takes them a few days to do that job. Since the engine oil has to drain off for that period of time, to be able to clean and re apply RTV.

Last edited:
Isnt rtv also the stuff you use on valve covers to cover the spots where pieces of the engine block come together? Where there is a “seam” in the otherwise contiguous sealing surface?

Back