Is this a bad lifter?

Im doing a cheap refresh on my sbc 350. I am inspecting the cam and lifters that were in the engine to see if they could be reused. I know the lifters are supposed to have a crown and when you touch the two faces of two lifters together you should see light around the edges and they should rock a little. Its hard to tell in the photos but looking at some of the lifters in person there appears to be a small dish in the center. Its very faint but when the light hits it the light bends around the dish. Hopefully you can see in the photos. Three photos are of the one lifter showing light bending around the center. The last photos are of another lifter without the light bending.
IMG_3589.jpeg
IMG_3588.jpeg
IMG_3590.jpeg
IMG_3592.jpeg
IMG_3591.jpeg

New lifters might have a crown but wouldn't that crown be worn down over time?

If the lifters are hydraulic are they pumping up properly and not clacking?

New lifters might have a crown but wouldn't that crown be worn down over time?

If the lifters are hydraulic are they pumping up properly and not clacking?
The lifters spin in there bores because of the crown. The cam lobe has a slight taper that causes the lifter to spin on the lobe. My concern is if these lifters are wearing in the middle they will cease to spin and wipe out the cam and lifters.

Yes. That’s a bad lifter.

Those lifter feet (surfaces) have pitting. I’ve got a 30+ year old lifter sitting on a shelf, that came out of a ‘77 Olds. Doesn’t look anything like that. It’s smooth.

That pitting is a sign that they’ve worn, considerably, and not worn well. The cam lobe will have the same pitting. The pitting is the result of galling between cam lobe and lifter foot.

You need a new cam and lifters.

Use a good assembly lube on the new cam and lifters, and follow the cam manufacturer break in instructions. Usually it’s something like 2,000 - 2,500 RPM immediately after start, for 20 minutes, to break in the cam and lifters, so that they wear in properly.

I have to wonder if that was correctly done with this set.

Agree replace cam and lifters.

Assuming a stockfish cam - follow break in instructions form cam manufacturer to a T

If cam is more radical, consider EDM drilled lifters in new can or hyd roller retrofit.

Back