Pennzoil Ultra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think this has been discussed yet (please correct me if I'm wrong), but just as I thought I was getting the best value in synthetics by using Pennzoil Platinum, now there's an "Ultra" version? What gives?

Regards,
Andrew

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Longer way to drain...

So just an extended drain interval version? My vehicle (2002 Acura RSX Type-S) has had a steady diet of Pennzoil Platinum since 2005 on 14,000 km intervals. I haven't been keeping up to date with the oil world in a while until recently (I have a 2013 Ford Focus ST on order). Would I be better off staying with this or moving to Platinum Ultra?

Thanks,
Andrew

Ultra has been available for a couple/three years now, just keep using the PP and enjoy continued success
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Ultra has been available for a couple/three years now, just keep using the PP and enjoy continued success
smile.gif

I think you're right. From my experience with the Type-S, which I've had for 10 years (incidentally the same time I've been following BITOG), I realized that my car will crumble from rust far earlier than the engine will blow from the kind of oil I use!!!

Regards,
Andrew

Originally Posted By: lemonade
Seriously those K20 will run forever if you don't redline everytime you get to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf8_tqUqHVY

Well, for me, every OTHER day is a redline day (for only a minute or so), and has been for the past 10 years!
grin.gif
But I agree. The K20 shows no signs of letting up.

Regards,
Andrew

Last edited:
Quote:
just as I thought I was getting the best value in synthetics by using Pennzoil Platinum, now there's an "Ultra"

Ultra may just be the best value in synthetic oils on the shelf.
According to Shell its 100% PAO and or GTL Both true synthetics.
Shell claims the Ultra is from superior base stock, cleans better and out performs Platinum.

Personally i take Shells word for it, they made it and should know which one is better.

Ultra has been out for a while, we had it here in Canada when it was SM but we haven't gotten the SN stuff yet.

SM are sold out almost everywhere in the major cities.

I had my brother in law pick some up in Syracuse and bring it over and it was SM as well.

The only place where I can think of that can even get it in here is Napa. Canadian Tire and Walmart have abandoned it completely. I haven't checked all my local parts stores. One has gotten rid of all SOPUS products. Another that is heavily into SOPUS sticks mostly to the Shell branded stuff.

CT and WM both have Pennzoil Yellow Bottle and Pennzoil Platinum in various grades however both do seem to push Castrol almost always in terms of advertising and such.

I guess Canadian's buy Castrol :p. BTW PP is only sale at 27 bucks @ CT this week.

I guess that's why I believed that Pennzoil Edge was a new product, when in fact it's been around for a while; I haven't seen it in the Canadian Tire stores I've been to.

As I've said though, I haven't had a problem with PP after 100000 km with 14000 km intervals. So no reason to change. I will say this though, when I compared an RSX of similar age on a diet of non-synthetics with mine, the difference in engine cleanliness when you shine a flashlight into the oil cap opening was huge. Mine has absolutely no varnish or deposits on or around the camshafts or along areas engine oil tends to cling on to (edges, flat areas etc.).

Regards,
Andrew

Originally Posted By: ajwan
I guess that's why I believed that Pennzoil Edge was a new product, when in fact it's been around for a while; I haven't seen it in the Canadian Tire stores I've been to.

I'm assuming you mean Pennzoil Ultra, since Edge is a Castrol trade name.
wink.gif
In any case, if someone sees it, it certainly is understandable for someone to think it's new. I don't know if CT ever had it; Walmart here did. Synthetic is expensive enough as it is here, and I doubt that the average user would see any benefit above and beyond Platinum to warrant the difference in price.

And Mau is right; there's no shortage of Castrol advertising, promotion, and sales in this country.

Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

Pennzoil Edge is what you get when you mix Ultra with Edge.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Garak
wink.gif

Pennzoil Edge is what you get when you mix Ultra with Edge.
smile.gif

LOL! You guys are right! I meant Pennzoil Ultra!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back