Pennzoil Ultra Platinum No Dexos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my shipment of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and I noticed there isn't any Dexos labels on it anymore. Is there a formulation change that does not meet Gen2? Or is that Ultra is almost considered Unicorn tears so they didn't want to shell out the money for certification?

Originally Posted By: JHogan
Or is that Ultra is almost considered Unicorn tears so they didn't want to shell out the money for certification?

Probably this.

PUP 5W30 does not meet Dexos1 Gen2 specs which is why I've moved on to PP D1G2 5W30. It wouldn't surprise me if SOPUS eliminated PUP after existing inventories are used up.

Originally Posted By: turnbowm
PUP 5W30 does not meet Dexos1 Gen2 specs which is why I've moved on to PP D1G2 5W30. It wouldn't surprise me if SOPUS eliminated PUP after existing inventories are used up.

This. What arethe real benefits of Ultra over Platinum ?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
They can put that old PP on sale I'll snap it up and get my rebate. My Toyota ran just fine for over 13 year without D1G2.

Consider the fact it didn’t need d1G2 to start with. You don’t have GDI or high compression or a turbo.

What makes it not meet requirements?

I'm running NON DEXOS 10w30 QSUD in the Nissan And its better than any DEXOS oil I've had in there in all aspects that are important ... to ME
smile.gif

What makes it not meet requirements?

The PUP formulation has too much calcium, a known contributor to LSPI events in GDI engines.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

This. What arethe real benefits of Ultra over Platinum ?

In the past, Pennzoil advertised that Ultra had more cleaning detergents and friction modifiers than Platinum. Ultra was considered their "flagship" product, but it seems to be the victim of neglect. I have a GDI engine with timing chain and PUP's lack of Dexos1 Gen2 certs is a deal-breaker for me.

Same, I already had purchased 5 jugs of the PUP and I ended up trading with a co-worker for some PP.

They can put that old PP on sale I'll snap it up and get my rebate. My Toyota ran just fine for over 13 year without D1G2.

Consider the fact it didn’t need d1G2 to start with. You don’t have GDI or high compression or a turbo.

Yep and I wouldn't own one.

In years to come, that may be your only option.

Just got my shipment of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, and I noticed there isn't any Dexos labels on it anymore. Is there a formulation change that does not meet Gen2? Or is that Ultra is almost considered Unicorn tears so they didn't want to shell out the money for certification?

"Is there a formulation change that does not meet Gen2?"

I have LSPI in my Nissan QQR25DE LOW compression, NON=turbo, port injection., LONG stroke engine.

............... IF I run 100% E10 87.

Mix in about 1/3rd 93R/M Sunoco - and all is better.

I also run NON dexos 10w30. You know it "pinged" with Dexos 5w30 too.

Whaddja expect? DOHC 4 banger lugging 3700lbs of CUV at 1300rpm with the converter locked.
!
WAIT! MY PC just pinged the server and it doesn't have Dexos1.
Oh! the Humanity!

In years to come, that may be your only option.

Sad but probably true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back