Pennzoil Ultra Platinum enigma

Originally Posted by turnbowm
PUP was my personal fave, but the lack of Dexos1 Gen2 certs is the reason I switched to PP. IMHO, PUP is no longer relevant in today's modern GDI/TGDI world.

I hear ya. I figure I won't be owning GDI/TGDI anytime soon. By the time I own something that needs it I'll worry about it.

Originally Posted by wemay
What about this oil frustrates you most?

a. hard to find in stores
b. no more Noack info
c. no dexos cert
d. not labelled as an extended drain oil
f. what makes it better than Platinum

I just bought some on Amazon for $24 ea. w/free shipping. Decent deal.

Almost all of the above. I don't care about extended drain, but everything else is a question mark for it. I'm going to do one OCI with it in 0w20, but will then probably settle in with Mobil 1 EP on my 18 Jeep. I'll get a UOA afterward and will compare it to the current run of M1.

When i take a step back and view the big picture...
I have GDi and TGDi, my vehicles don't spec dexos and Pennzoil has always used moly which is a LSPI squelcher. Besides, in the first 60k miles, the Santa Fe Sport, most of what it got was VSP. That was heavy on Sodium and Calcium. But i do feel Ultra has become the "red haired stepchild."

Last edited:
I wonder if the new Shell Rotella Truck and SUV oil is closer to PP or PPU? Maybe it is a chance to repackage/revive the PPU formula?

Last edited:
I can order PUP SN 10/30 online WMT but $25 right now...ordered it a month or so ago @$19.99 and they shipped PP in error, I returned it next day.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
I wonder if the new Shell Rotella Truck and SUV oil is closer to PP or PPU? Maybe it is a chance to repackage/revive the PPU formula?

I would be surprised if SOPUS did anything but drop the PUP line.

Originally Posted by Linctex
I have some that I bought from Walmart online (Then SOPUS wouldn't accept info from WM for rebate)

I haven't run it yet.

I'm currently running the Mobil 1 AP 5W-20 that was $10 a jug on clearance from AutoZone

Who needs PUP when a crazy deal on a great engine oil like AP 5w20 can be had. Up here in Canada CT will put PUP on sale two or three times a year, around $30 Canadian for 5 litres or $22 US for 5 1/2 quarts. Not bad.

My opinion:

I would think that Pennzoil is waiting for gf-6 before re-releasing their flagship product.

Ultra got caught up in the sn+ Dexos 1g2 shuffle and its "premium status" is no longer warranted.

It's lack of availability during this fairly tumultuous time in the industry is likely just Pennzoil doing a soft kill while they buy time.

d and f for me. Differentiation is important, and competing with other high end offerings. The availability issues have been mostly settled here and I'm not terribly concerned with dexos1 with the G37. I'm already running a low calcium oil anyhow.
wink.gif

I thought I wanted big Ca big SAPS in the PGFI Toyota.. it going the way of Moly?

Last edited:
You can still get plenty of SAPS in a magnesium oil. Of course, "plenty of" might mean different things depending upon which specification regime you're looking at. The Rotella 5w-30 I'm using still has SA of 1.0 which ILSAC phosphorus levels, so a higher SA than most ordinary PCMOs, particularly dexos1 kinds, yet it's got magnesium and is designed to be kind to commercial diesel engine emissions devices, being E6.

A mainly more than anything. And aside from allegedly keeping things slightly cleaner than PP, I can't differentiate between the two. I went back to M1 in the Tacoma because it's way easier to find than both of Pennzoil's offerings, and the 0W-30 is ideal for how cold it gets up here.

a. hard to find in stores - I have no trouble getting it on-line or from the dealer
b. no more Noack info - I don't care
c. no dexos cert - I have nothing that requires Dexos
d. not labelled as an extended drain oil - My OCIs are 6 months or 5K miles on everything I own (except the whole house generator). I don't try to save pennies on oil changes for my expensive machinery.
f. what makes it better than Platinum - Nothing wrong with Platinum but I always go for the best as I perceive it

Originally Posted by hemitruck
I have to buy on line, for me a pia, but it meets the specs for my hemi.

That is the reason I bought it. Much easier to buy online, sort of. Wal-Mart was supposed to send 3 jugs for a set price. They sent one, but gave it to me. Bought second time two jugs shipped to door. Cheaper than PP after rebate. What is not to love?

I bought a jug of PUP 5w30 from Amazon last month because SOPUS had a $10 rebate ending 12-31. $14.25 end cost. Great deal.
Will run in my Tacoma which supposedly has ring pack issues and the super cleaning of PUP might help with that although I'm not having any oil consumption issues... yet.

Back