Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30

(VOA) Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 SN Plus

Date sampled was Feb 26th, 2020. NAPA's Oil Analysis Report.
Future Intentions for 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe 2.4 GDI - around June 2020.

Lead.................................1
Aluminum.........................2
Titanium...........................2
--------------------------------
Silicon..............................2
Sodium............................1
--------------------------------
Magnesium.....................765
Calcium..........................1119
Phosphorous..................719
Zinc................................822
Molybdenum ..................96
Boron.............................282
------------------------------
Viscosity cst@100C ......9.4
Viscosity [email protected]
Base Number ................8.7

So this is basically a 5W-20 motor oil (at the thick end of 5W-20) with a beefy additive pack. IIRC the cSt@100 for 9.3 or less. This can be safely used in any older vehicle that called for 5W-20.

So this is basically a 5W-20 motor oil (at the thick end of 5W-20) with a beefy additive pack. IIRC the cSt@100 for 9.3 or less. This can be safely used in any older vehicle that called for 5W-20.
Just FYI, the OP of this thread (and the individual you were replying to) no longer exists on this board per his own request.

Unless he's here under a new user name which is quite probable :)

Just FYI, the OP of this thread (and the individual you were replying to) no longer exists on this board per his own request.

Unless he's here under a new user name which is quite probable :)

That's interesting, I wonder why someone would do that. :cautious:

I guess that this thread can be closed then since its outlived its usefulness. 😁

They sure lost me with PUP 5w30 for my VQ35 engine. I used to swear by it as it well quieted the engine a fair bit but from now on I don't feel confident with this watery stuff. Could be very well why I started to burn a bit of oil lately (4 OCIs).

They sure lost me with PUP 5w30 for my VQ35 engine. I used to swear by it as it well quieted the engine a fair bit but from now on I don't feel confident with this watery stuff. Could be very well why I started to burn a bit of oil lately (4 OCIs).

I believe that Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is the product lineup that SOPUS uses to dump their low cSt GTL base stock. It may be an explanation as simple as that. PUP also lacks Dexos 1 Gen 2 certification, and it "meets and exceeds" more often than any other oils in their lineup. It's also interesting that you have to order PUP online, and right now, Amazon wants about $36 for a 5-quart jug of PUP 5W-30. Thanks, but no, thanks. For that kind of money, I can buy PP and have money left for a filter, or just about any other decent motor oil. I think PUP is a weird product at this point.

Can I use this in my 2020 Corvette Z06? No? Ok, how about in my 94 yo mother’s 2002 Cadillac, since she drives 2500 miles per YEAR and never drives over 40...drives to church on Sunday, the doctor’s, and Walmart grocery...0.5-5 mile trip max each way. Go Pennzoil. Haha. Phew, finally found a use for the PUP I bought. Hope I don’t blow up her engine putting this “fluid” in it. OK, I presume it’s better than regular Platinum.

Can I use this in my 2020 Corvette Z06? No? Ok, how about in my 94 yo mother’s 2002 Cadillac, since she drives 2500 miles per YEAR and never drives over 40...drives to church on Sunday, the doctor’s, and Walmart grocery...0.5-5 mile trip max each way. Go Pennzoil. Haha. Phew, finally found a use for the PUP I bought. Hope I don’t blow up her engine putting this “fluid” in it. OK, I presume it’s better than regular Platinum.
Why would you want to use the oil in your Vette? Why would you want to use it is Grandmas car?

Why would you want to use the oil in your Vette? Why would you want to use it is Grandmas car?

I was being sarcastic. P.S. I don’t own a Vette. Why use it in her car? I would think Mom’s use would be as “gentle” on an oil as is possible, and I already own it. The real question should be: why did I buy it in the first place?

Last edited:
Both PUP and PPPP 5W30 synthetic oils are light 30 weight oils (<10 cSt) coming in from 9.4 to 9.6 cSt . The GTL Pennzoil oils are a little odd in various ways as compared to say M1 5W30 EP or Valvoline Advanced 5W30 .

Back