Pennzoil Start/Stop Protection 0W-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Originally Posted by jongies3
Okay, so how is this different than PP 0W-20? What a joke lol, I don't imagine it being a hot seller, since it will cost more than standard PP likely for no difference in performance.

From what I can see they literally look to be the same oil. Maybe this is rebranding (a new label) the "old" 0w20... different labeling but exact same product, based upon the two PDS sheets???🤔

It would be silly to put these oils side by side and charge more for the "stop and go", that said the avg consumer won't know any better. (they don't do deep dives on an oils properties.. they simply equate higher price to better quality... and mfgs know this, so they take advantage of that)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by jongies3
Okay, so how is this different than PP 0W-20? What a joke lol, I don't imagine it being a hot seller, since it will cost more than standard PP likely for no difference in performance.

From what I can see they literally look to be the same oil. Maybe this is rebranding (a new label) the "old" 0w20... different labeling but exact same product, based upon the two PDS sheets???🤔

It would be silly to put these oils side by side and charge more for the "stop and go", that said the avg consumer won't know any better. (they don't do deep dives on an oils properties.. they simply equate higher price to better quality... and mfgs know this, so they take advantage of that)

The PP Start/Stop Protection lacks Dexos1 approval so they may not be identical oils.

Originally Posted by The Critic
The PP Start/Stop Protection lacks Dexos1 approval so they may not be identical oils.

For now...

The PDS is just a few months old. I would be surprised if they didn't apply for Dexos approval especially since practically every (even other SOPUS oils) off the shelf 0w20 oil on the market seems to carry D1G2. Obviously a VOA would go far in determining differences, if any.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Advertising spin IMO.

LOL my thoughts exactly. I thought the engines were specifically designed for stop/start systems to have no negative impact on them. If so in theory the current oil formulations should be just fine, and the engines suffer no additional wear. Is Pennzoil onto something, or lacking something? Take your pick.

I could not bring myself to click the link … Soon to catch Baskin Robbins in flavors

Shell could have just added the line on their jugs regarding start/stop but in their wisdom they've decided to create a whole new product line. 🙄

Next thing you know they will have a station wagon blend.

that said the avg consumer won't know any better. (they don't do deep dives on an oils properties.. they simply equate higher price to better quality... and mfgs know this, so they take advantage of that)

How has that panned out for Mobil 1 Annual Protection?

But I agree, we've had this discussion numerous times; oils at one point were converging towards some sort of "universality" about 10 years ago, with SN providing just about everything that an engine could need. Now, with T-GDI, 16 foot long timing chains, and other "new" technologies that seem to only hinder overall reliability, we are seeing more and more divergent oil specs across the board with individual manufacturer requirements driving a multitude of various oils on the shelves.

I'm pretty sure that in all reality you could fill 95%+ of all gasoline-powered passenger cars from the past 25 years with a 5W30, d1G2 A5/B5 oil and never see any ill effects changing at OLM/OM directive. We just like to think our opinions matter (me included).

I've always been of the "simple is better " mindset. I'm not one to like it when companies do exactly what Shell is doing with their product line, but I get it. Good points SubieRubyRoo.

One thing I'm certain of, you'll be getting a top notch oil if it's from Shell.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Not well at all...Seems even sheep have a built-in threshold for BS.... (and it doesn't mean a mfg won't try, right?)

Last edited:

Not well at all...Seems even sheep have a built-in threshold for BS.... (and it doesn't mean a mfg won't try, right?)

I don't know, I got 5 q jugs of the stuff for $5, it was an excellent value

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

So they practically paid you to try it...my point exactly....

Originally Posted by Rmay635703

I'd buy it at that price too. The $49.99 they initially offered it for no way. Funny thing is we knew here the price would come down in a big way, and it did. I can't wait to see what Auto Zone blows out later this year to make shelf space, AP might be on the list.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

I suggest MotorKote much better

for a Start/STOP engine

Based on.... the pattern that last night's Taco Bell left on the TP? OP asked a question about oil from a reputable supplier, and you respond with an unproven additive that has a known no-no for engine oils (chlorinated compounds), so please don't crap and run without some proof to back up your statement.

Originally Posted by tahoe_hybrid

I suggest MotorKote much better

for a Start/STOP engine

Based on.... the pattern that last night's Taco Bell left on the TP? OP asked a question about oil from a reputable supplier, and you respond with an unproven additive that has a known no-no for engine oils (chlorinated compounds), so please don't crap and run without some proof to back up your statement.

Amsoil did a "TSB" regarding Motorkote, Duralube and ProLong all containing chlorinated paraffins. Holy HCL acid Batman!

The BITOG Community is always ahead of the curve! As you know, Pennzoil continuously strives to develop new and innovative products, and we're excited to confirm that there is a new product lineup made from natural gas coming soon. - The Pennzoil Team

Originally Posted by GenaFishbeck
The BITOG Community is always ahead of the curve! As you know, Pennzoil continuously strives to develop new and innovative products, and we're excited to confirm that there is a new product lineup made from natural gas coming soon. - The Pennzoil Team

You can't just drop that little nugget of info and scoot out the backdoor! ...‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back