VOA - Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 SP

Hi,

Got a new WRX and sent some samples away to the lab, including some new Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20 SP that I plan on using going forward. Been reading the forum for a long time, I guess I'm long overdue to contribute. I've included the link to the datasheet for the oil as well:

https://www.shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en-CA/c1afe73e-f667-4549-966a-3712e000c86e.pdf

NEW_OIL_VOA_PENN_PLAT_0W20_SP_post.jpg

You got a AN & BN reading...Nice! And the results matches up well with PQIA's test of this oil.

Last edited:
Last edited:
PQIA uses D2896. CAT is using D4739. My PPHM 5W30 VOA had a TBN of 5.4 (D4739 from both Blackstone and Oil Analyzers), so this low TBN is not far off from Pennzoil's "new normal" so it seems.

If my observation is correct, TBN has been dropping in general as new standards are rolled out.
What are these traditional tests missing in the base oil formulation and/or other additives?

PQIA uses D2896. CAT is using D4739. My PPHM 5W30 VOA had a TBN of 5.4 (D4739 from both Blackstone and Oil Analyzers), so this low TBN is not far off from Pennzoil's "new normal" so it seems.

Yes , 5.5 of this P.P. 0w-20 at YOUTUBE site from 9/3/23 . V.O.A.s' of P.P. ( S.P., GF-6A ) oils .

IMG_2563.JPG
IMG_2565.JPG
IMG_2567.JPG
IMG_2568.JPG

Last edited:
This oil seems to have a weak additive package on paper, but it meets Dexos1 Gen3, which has some pretty stringent requirements.

I did an idle fuel economy test comparing this PP 0W-20 D1G3 oil to the older PP 5W-30 D1G2 oil that had a lot more additives. I've added some more testing data since I made that post, and estimate the fuel consumption to be 5.5% lower, and friction 10% lower with the new formula. This is despite the newer oil having 40% less moly friction modifier, and 0 ppm boron vs 280 ppm.

This is an example of why more additive is not always better. Detergents that increase TBN increase friction, and will also compete with anti-wear and friction modifier additives, so adding more detergent than necessary can be detrimental. As I understand it, TBN is not as important as it once was due improvements in fuel standards, as well as emissions standards that reduce the amount of combustion byproducts that increase oil acidity.

Thanks for this. I was going to ask CAT but you provided the answer.

This oil seems to have a weak additive package on paper, but it meets Dexos1 Gen3, which has some pretty stringent requirements.

I did an idle fuel economy test comparing this PP 0W-20 D1G3 oil to the older PP 5W-30 D1G2 oil that had a lot more additives. I've added some more testing data since I made that post, and estimate the fuel consumption to be 5.5% lower, and friction 10% lower with the new formula. This is despite the newer oil having 40% less moly friction modifier, and 0 ppm boron vs 280 ppm.

This is an example of why more additive is not always better. Detergents that increase TBN increase friction, and will also compete with anti-wear and friction modifier additives, so adding more detergent than necessary can be detrimental. As I understand it, TBN is not as important as it once was due improvements in fuel standards, as well as emissions standards that reduce the amount of combustion byproducts that increase oil acidity.
Interesting information. That explanation fits!

It's a trade off . May have to start doing shorter intervals of oil for the cars .
Agreed, and this is the primary reason why I got the new oil tested that I was planning on using, to establish a baseline for safe intervals. I'm also just curious to see.

Car is a 2023 WRX 2.4 Direct Injection Turbo that does more in town than highway, at least for now. Holds about 5 litres, and Subaru recommended interval is 10,000kms. Between the short trips, the turbo, the DI, and the viscosity, I'm not so sure about 10,000kms. I feel like 8,000 is about right, but want the analysis to back that up to go forward confidently.

I dumped the factory fill at 1793 kms, and did another oil change at 8419 kms. I sent those away to CAT as well but still waiting for the results.

The reason for choosing Pennzoil Platinum is that it's the cheapest thing around here that's decent. Often found at walmart for $30-40cdn for a jug. If I'm going to change it somewhat often, the price point is nice.

Car is a 2023 WRX 2.4 Direct Injection Turbo that does more in town than highway, at least for now. Holds about 5 litres, and Subaru recommended interval is 10,000kms. Between the short trips, the turbo, the DI, and the viscosity, I'm not so sure about 10,000kms. I feel like 8,000 is about right, but want the analysis to back that up to go forward confidently.
FWIW, I've used nothing but PP on my 2015 WRX since it was new. Mostly 7-11k km intervals in 70% highway driving, but quite a lot of short-trips in very cold winters as well. I've never done a UOA, but the oil filters I've cut open have looked really clean, the car doesn't use any oil, no signs of sludge or varnish down the oil fill tube, and no engine issues to speak of.

If you're looking for a good oil filter that's more efficient than the OEM filters and has the proper bypass pressure setting, I'd recommend the PurolatorOne or Purolator BOSS for these cars.

Received the UOAs for the factory fill and the subsequent run of oil:

Interesting stuff in them, fuel dilution and copper.

If my observation is correct, TBN has been dropping in general as new standards are rolled out.
What are these traditional tests missing in the base oil formulation and/or other additives?
It seems that oxidation has become another method for testing oil life. Oil Analyzers condemns an oil as spent if the used oxidation is 17 points higher than the virgin oxidation value. So if you used this oil and the oxidation reached 6 + 17 = 23, they would consider the oil to be completely spent.

FWIW, I've used nothing but PP on my 2015 WRX since it was new. Mostly 7-11k km intervals in 70% highway driving, but quite a lot of short-trips in very cold winters as well. I've never done a UOA, but the oil filters I've cut open have looked really clean, the car doesn't use any oil, no signs of sludge or varnish down the oil fill tube, and no engine issues to speak of.

If you're looking for a good oil filter that's more efficient than the OEM filters and has the proper bypass pressure setting, I'd recommend the PurolatorOne or Purolator BOSS for these cars.
Where do you buy the Purolator's in Canada?

It's time for P.U.P. . Better Oxidation and additive pack . Wish they'd put DEX 1 , Gen 3 on their site and bottles . Would help those with D.I. engines that have warranty . Not 0w-20 ( 5w-30 below ) , but may apply to other weights of P.U.P..

IMG_2514.JPG
IMG_2468.JPG
IMG_2490.JPG
IMG_2582.JPG
IMG_2580.JPG

Last edited:
Back