Pennzoil PZ-182 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil filter and PP 0w20 was off a co workers 2017 Subaru Forester vehicle for 4,xxx miles. Put more PP 0w20 and a Tough Guard 7317 he supplied on and on. Car has 56,640 miles on it

20190205_190538.jpg

20190205_190702.jpg

20190205_190718.jpg

20190205_190737.jpg

20190205_190758.jpg

20190205_190809.jpg

20190205_190828.jpg

20190205_190803.jpg

Originally Posted by Zee09
Love the color but not the filter but it looks okay.
Thank for the cp. Adam!

You're welcome sir
smile.gif

It's a good looking Purolator. They need to get with the times and start using silicone adbvs. I know it's a rebrand probably a jobber. But still.

Originally Posted by Pinoak
It's a good looking Purolator. They need to get with the times and start using silicone adbvs. I know it's a rebrand probably a jobber. But still.

Purolator won't ever do this.

Everything about this filter looks good to me. Uniform pleating, louvers look fine, no indentions/cuts in adbv with proper design. For 5-6k oci on this jobber tier filter, nitrile adbv works just fine. As comparison, Denso filters use nitrile and though I generally wouldn't use them that long ST claims up to 10k miles. For the ~4k mile oci, looks like the topic filter got the job done nicely.

Thanks for c&p.

Maybe Quaker State demands a stronger filter than what Purolator issues at the same price, with their name on it?.... I dunno.

If the new red can Purolator looked like this all the time, then life would be much gooder for them. Sales too!

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Maybe Quaker State demands a stronger filter than what Purolator issues at the same price, with their name on it?.... I dunno.

If the new red can Purolator looked like this all the time, then life would be much gooder for them. Sales too!

Have there really been a lot of bad open red Purolators?

I have no idea which Purolator model leads the pack in media tears.
I'm not afraid to buy one. For I am pro-flow with oil filters and those tears shown here a million times sure do improve flow......lol

I don't think we've seen a torn Purolator since the new paintjobs.

Why do people go only 4000 miles on synthetic (unless its over a year)???? What a waste. I dont care what kind of driving you do, any synthetic will last at least 7500-10000 miles. Send me the oil drained and i will run it another 6000 miles. Ugh...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Serge
Why do people go only 4000 miles on synthetic (unless its over a year)???? What a waste. I dont care what kind of driving you do, any synthetic will last at least 7500-10000 miles. Send me the oil drained and i will run it another 6000 miles. Ugh...

This is likely true but some manufacturers recommend shorter OCI's with synthetics or not. Also the difference between synthetic and conventional in ISLAC grades are close in performance it is becoming a non factor.

Originally Posted by dave1251

This is likely true but some manufacturers recommend shorter OCI's with synthetics or not. Also the difference between synthetic and conventional in ISLAC grades are close in performance it is becoming a non factor.

I find the conventional & blend oils shear down quickly. When the viscosity drops a bit, the ADBV begins to lose function and oil consumption seems to increase. By switching to synthetic, this does not happen. However, the engine is not really a good candidate for extension to 7500-10000 miles. I am seeing too much glitter in the oil for that. So, I am keeping these changes to 5K to 6K miles. I am also using up filters that may not last 10K. By doing this, the oil consumption has stopped and the engine sounds and runs good. It is a matter of time before this one has probably cam chain issues. Waste is relative. I may get another 20,000 miles by doing this.

I wonder if this is Purolator's Subaru-spec filter without the mixed media and silicone ADBV like the P1/Boss series. I have one in use on a friend's car and I want to see if the ADBV and media are intact still.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW

That's because nobody uses them and does a C&P of them here anymore.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by rooflessVW

That's because nobody uses them and does a C&P of them here anymore.

I don't know about that I have an ole Pure One I plan on using my next OCI. I've used them off and on for 8 plus years now and I haven't found a Tearolator yet.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I don't know about that I have an ole Pure One I plan on using my next OCI. I've used them off and on for 8 plus years now and I haven't found a Tearolator yet.

Is it yellow or red? They were talking about the new red ones. Been plenty of the old yellow Purolators that have media tearing issues.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Is it yellow or red? They were talking about the new red ones. Been plenty of the old yellow Purolators that have media tearing issues.

yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back