Pennzoil Platinum to the rescue

Hey The-Nuke,

Great to hear. Pennzoil Platinum provides excellent performance in extreme temperatures, and provides faster low temperature oil flow and protects in extreme heat- glad you were able to see the results for yourself!

Best regards,
Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Been a Pennzoil user for the last 45 yrs, running Pennz Platinum in my 2017 Regal GS 2.0T, oil temp has never gone over 200* even with 100+ heat, a lot of confidence in this oil.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: WobblyElvis
According to this "HOT ROD" article conventional oil can handle up to 275F before it starts to break down. Seems rather hard to over heat engine oil.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/engine-oil-temperature/

That was pointed out by another member earlier. So my fears of premature oulvbreakdown had I been running a conventional oil were a little unnecessary it would seem.

Nevertheless, my warm and fuzzy feeling from having the Pennzoil Platinum remains. Even if a conventional oil can handle up to 275F once, how many times can it handle 230ish in a row before a drop off in protection begins?

I don’t know the answer to that, but I bet it is somewhere below the number of times the Pennzoil Platinum can handle it before taking a dive. And seeing as we have another month of these ballasted temp extremes to go, I like my chances with the PP.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
According to this "HOT ROD" article conventional oil can handle up to 275F before it starts to break down. Seems rather hard to over heat engine oil.

That was pointed out by another member earlier. So my fears of premature oulvbreakdown had I been running a conventional oil were a little unnecessary it would seem.

Nevertheless, my warm and fuzzy feeling from having the Pennzoil Platinum remains. Even if a conventional oil can handle up to 275F once, how many times can it handle 230ish in a row before a drop off in protection begins?

I don’t know the answer to that, but I bet it is somewhere below the number of times the Pennzoil Platinum can handle it before taking a dive. And seeing as we have another month of these ballasted temp extremes to go, I like my chances with the PP.

You can't go wrong with Pennzoil.
11.gif

I like Pennzoil products a lot too but I wish their technical data was a little more complete on their website. And I never get a response back when I email them with questions, unlike Mobil 1 that almost always answers my emails within a few days.

Originally Posted By: Bullwinkle007
Mopar likes to run a higher t/stat temp, so oil temp will be higher. In my Accord and Acura, Honda runs a 180 t/stat

Yup...I’ve never seen my coolant temp above 186F in my 2018 Pilot.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
What temps do you get with other oils ?

Good question. I’d like to hear the results as well.

The unofficial results:
Zero or insignificant difference if using same weight synthetic oil of different brands.
Insignificant in case one synthetic oil (for example 5Wx30) is thicker than other synthetic 5Wx30 ...

I'm sure you all knew that!
grin.gif
Hope I'm not wrong.

How about conventional vs. Synthetic of the same weight?
Does synthetic dissipate (move) the heat better than conventional? idk

Originally Posted By: GenaFishbeck
Hey The-Nuke,

Great to hear. Pennzoil Platinum provides excellent performance in extreme temperatures, and provides faster low temperature oil flow and protects in extreme heat- glad you were able to see the results for yourself!

Best regards,
Gena & The Pennzoil Team

Pennzoil Products RULE!!!!

In a turbo application, I imagine the oil temp would be pretty darn high at the turbo.

220s is about what my 5.7 hemi ran. A friends 6.1L hemi would go well past that when he was going for it, especially on warmer days.

I wanted to resurrect this older thread because I am running Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage as well (5W-30) and measured 270 degrees F after a 80 mph run for approximately 30 mins in 91 degree F weather. I used a high quality Fluke IR gun to take the temperature at the pan. It is a 1992 Toyota Previa 2.4 I-4 w/ under 100k miles approximately. Engine replaced with a newer, lower mileage engine.

I've been searching BITOG and cannot seem to find a definitive answer for what may be rather difficult to answer? At what temperature is a Group III synthetic motor oil safe to operate? I have seen some videos on YouTube that mention that synthetics (non-PAO) are good up to 270 degrees F and then can handle intermittent temperature increases up to 300 degrees?

My concern really comes down to how much can I push my vehicle in these hot 90+ degree days? I am wondering if the motor oil temperatures would/could climb higher than 270 degrees F if I were to say drive 80+ mph in 90+ degree F temperatures for 2 hours?

PP Sounds smooth. I wish they had 10W40 in Platinum.

are you sure about your Fluke? 270F is very hot since you are not racing either. Does the car need any repairs? You are also reading temps externally and at the pan ... which should even read lower. Inside temps maybe 300+

Last edited:
The Fluke has been accurate as far as I am aware and has been consistent in its readings. It’s a professional unit, Fluke 561. So I think the temperature is fairly accurate.

If I am not mistaken, most motor oil temperature gauges monitor the oil sump? This would be considered the most relevant reading since oil degrades when it stays/dwells at higher temperatures.

I have taken measures of the engine oil while driving about 70 mph in 80 degree F weather and gotten readings of approximately 235 degrees F. So the 270 degrees F in 91 degrees F weather doesn’t seem outside of the realm of possibility. Especially since I was pushing it at 80+ mph.

As for repairs, there’s nothing that I’m aware of that needs immediate attention. I am planning on doing my PVC valve shortly. Not because I suspect anything, but as maintenance. Would a clogged PVC increase oil temperatures like this?

I am more used to the 230F range with most my cars and that's not at the pan. Meaning the pan would measure even lower than 230F. However i don't do any 80's either (our speed limit is 70 max.) So maybe it's normal for your car at that speed.

I would either take it easy with that size engine and/or car condition or use a very good syn or semi racing oil like Red Line ... lol

Haha, an almost 30 year old Toyota Minivan on Full Synthetic race oil. (y)

Some of criticized me for running full synthetic everywhere on this van. I have Amsoil Signature Series ATF and Severe Gear 80W-90. I don’t drive easy on my vehicles, but another factor that plays a rather important role is the fluid capacity.

I think of it this way, Toyota engineered the vehicle to handle the specific use case that it was intended for. In 1992 the Federal speed limit was capped at 55 mph. Therefore, all the fluid capacity designs seemingly followed suit. The rear differential on this van is only 1.6 quarts! While Tacomas rear ends nowadays run in the neighborhood of 3 quarts. The 4-speed automatic transmission (Model: A46DE) has a paltry 6 quarts TOTAL capacity! Toyota 4Runners/Tacomas transmissions have approximately 12+ quarts! So to say the least, I am deficient with fluid capacity to handle heat.

I have since installed a transmission cooler with an electric fan. It has kept temperatures at bay. Running today with the readings I found of 270F on the engine oil, I measured 197F on the transmission pan. From what I gather this is relatively safe operating temperature for the ATF, especially since it’s full synthetic.

As for the differential, it read 235F today. Which is on the high side, but well within Amsoil Severe Gear’s capability to handle.

The odd part is that the engine oil is the last thing I thought would overheat because of capacity. It has a healthy 6 quart capacity for its 2.4 liter displacement. So it’s odd to me that it’s heating up to 270F.

I do this drive, 80+ mph, every afternoon going home. I live in the Southeast and anticipate 90+ degree F weather for July, August, and possibly part of September. I’m running 5,000 mile OCIs, but I’m considering cutting this one short and sending off the oil for analysis. Then replacing the Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage with Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 and just run Amsoil in the hotter months. I do not plan on changing my driving habits, so I guess there’s little choice I have.

I would run Amsoil exclusively, but I just cannot afford it on 5,000 mile OCI. I don’t feel comfortable with extended OCIs, so I can see myself running half Amsoil Signature Series and then half Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage during the year.

you mentioned clogged pcv ... Does your car burn any oil?

I would estimate that it loses about half a quart per 5,000 miles oil change. Nothing significant that I have been concerned about. Again, the PCV valve replacement is merely a maintenance item that I wanted to get done. I have parts coming in for it and plan on doing it shortly. Me doing the PCV valve has nothing to do with any issue that I am having or any indication that there is an issue with the PCV.

Back