Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 D1G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winter numbers certainly got better.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Thanks wemay for that comparison. On the Pennzoil Gold comparison the MRV viscosity changed quite a bit. Is it bigger numbers or lower numbers that are better in that category?

Another reason I am considering the Pennnzoil Platinum G2 is that it has the Honda HTO-06 certification. There are not very many 0w-20 oils that carry that. While my car doesn’t have a turbo, that certificate is impressive and should be able to handle other deposits better than a oil without the certificate. Of course, I just might be overthinking this. Normal for me.

Lower CCS and MRV viscosities at a given (low) temp are better, the issues than can happen at extreme cold temps are the oil can get too thick for the engine to crank properly (CCS) or for the oil to be pumped without air pockets forming around the pickup (MRV).
The CCS result for the Gold 5W30 is one of the lowest I've seen for that grade, I suspect if it did much better at low temps it might have to be labelled as a 0W30. I don't see MRV numbers too often, but I think that result for the Gold 5W30 is also quite good.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Also, the boron is new for PP, only in PUP before as far as I know, wonder what will set PUP apart now??

Exclusivity! (aka almost impossible to find on a consistent basis)

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Also, the boron is new for PP, only in PUP before as far as I know, wonder what will set PUP apart now??

Never saw PUP in the wild. Kind of like Sasquatch.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Thanks wemay for that comparison. On the Pennzoil Gold comparison the MRV viscosity changed quite a bit. Is it bigger numbers or lower numbers that are better in that category?

Another reason I am considering the Pennnzoil Platinum G2 is that it has the Honda HTO-06 certification. There are not very many 0w-20 oils that carry that. While my car doesn’t have a turbo, that certificate is impressive and should be able to handle other deposits better than a oil without the certificate. Of course, I just might be overthinking this. Normal for me.

Lower CCS and MRV viscosities at a given (low) temp are better, the issues than can happen at extreme cold temps are the oil can get too thick for the engine to crank properly (CCS) or for the oil to be pumped without air pockets forming around the pickup (MRV).
The CCS result for the Gold 5W30 is one of the lowest I've seen for that grade, I suspect if it did much better at low temps it might have to be labelled as a 0W30. I don't see MRV numbers too often, but I think that result for the Gold 5W30 is also quite good.

The improvement from gen 1 to gen 2 is huge then. Given this info and these numbers I will seriously consider the Platinum 0w-20 gen2 when it comes time to change the oil on the Mazda. I am hoping that before that time comes we will see a uoa or voa on the Valvoline Synpower 0w-20 for comparison. I imagine either one will suffice for my needs.

Quote the improvement in cold flow numbers for Pennzoil Gold.

The good news is that Castrol, Pennzoil, and Quaker State all have D1G2 on the shelves of my local Canadian Tire. So it's starting to roll in.

That Pennzoil Gold D1G2 spec sheet seems too good to be true for a "syn blend". Those cold flow numbers do not come from a syn blend. The previous spec sheet indicates that it wasn't D1 licensed:

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/b...Oil_TDS_nov.pdf

Where did we get the specs listed on page 1 showing it was D1 licensed?

While their PP D1G2 of the same viscosity is not even close; worse flash by almost 30 degrees, worse cold flow numbers, lower viscosity.

Something is not right.

When looking for flashpoint you have to check what specs being used D92 or D93 It used to be about 15°C differance hence D93 higher FP .

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Yeah PimTac finding Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is like finding one of these...
smile.gif

bbhero, I have actually seen an albino deer in a place called Nara in Japan. The PUP? I’ll likely see a ufo before I see that.

I kinda like this formulation. That's a solid looking add pack for a d1G2 oil with the little touch of added moly and a lot more boron, and I actually like how it looks over the Ultra Platinum flavor. It will be interesting to see what they do with Ultra Platinum, if anything.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I kinda like this formulation. That's a solid looking add pack for a d1G2 oil with the little touch of added moly and a lot more boron, and I actually like how it looks over the Ultra Platinum flavor. It will be interesting to see what they do with Ultra Platinum, if anything.

Question is, will it be worth the added cost? The new PP looks very good on paper, not to mention that you can find it everywhere unlike the Ultra, the albino deer.

Originally Posted By: JustN89

Question is, will it be worth the added cost? The new PP looks very good on paper, not to mention that you can find it everywhere unlike the Ultra, the albino deer.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what the difference is between the Ultra and regular Platinum. I would love to know what the difference between the two is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back