Pennzoil Platinum - 15k mile or 1yr

1) Buy the cheapest quality oil available that is right for your car.

2) Buy a quality synthetic oil filter. One that lasts 15k to 20k miles.

3) Change the oil every 5k. Change the filter every 10k.

Spend $30 to $50 a year. Worry about other things. Like the weather.

P.S. If you find a two-fer rebate consider it a blessing. My last two oil changed were only $10 each.

One might say that the oils formulated to go the longer distances also have better cleaning and wear protection as well though.
I'm sure the Waltons Clan has done enough testing with Supertech, to match all the rigorous, numerous testings done by HPL and Amsoil ;) ..... the only two oils I desire for our Hyunkia's.soft metallurgy engines. Mobil-1 EP Triple Action 10w30 worked well also, when frankenblended with their 0w40 Euro.

I would probably run Supertech 20k too, if I had engines that can handle the upper echelon store brand name oils.
I did run the Supertech 20k once and gave it a thumbs-up. Thought it was worlds-better than the 10k version. If Supertech had an 0w40 SP Standard oil to blend with their 5w30 SP, I'd run it again for another test.

I need csts@100 that are thicker than 11. Our two engines seem to do best at 12-12.5.
A couple times I tried 5w40s at 13.5+ csts and they weren't at their best running those. The worst offender was Quaker State Euro 5w40...... sewing machine chatter increased.

I'm about to try Castrol Euro 5w40 next week in the Kia. I have six five quart jugs @ $8 a-piece from Walmart. I sense another failure in the works, since I have no plans on frakenblending it with Castrol Edge 5w30. Might be a real short OCI...... like 1k.:(

Last edited:
I'm sure the Waltons Clan has done enough testing with Supertech, to match all the rigorous, numerous testings done by HPL and Amsoil ;) ..... the only two oils I desire for our Hyunkia's.soft metallurgy engines. Mobil-1 EP Triple Action 10w30 worked well also, when frankenblended with their 0w40 Euro.

I would probably run Supertech 20k too, if I had engines that can handle the upper echelon store brand name oils.
I did run the Supertech 20k once and gave it a thumbs-up. Thought it was worlds-better than the 10k version. If Supertech had an 0w40 SP Standard oil to blend with their 5w30 SP, I'd run it again for another test.

I honestly think my Civic will get to 500,000km no matter what oil I use, it's just a rock solid reliable engine, plus I baby it too. But being the oil nerd that I am, I just can't resist trying out new stuff, so even though Supertech can get the job done, next oil change I've got some Quaker State Ultimate Protection to go in there. And if I can find it in the near future I'd like to try Valvoline Protect and Restore for a few intervals as well :)

I honestly think my Civic will get to 500,000km no matter what oil I use, it's just a rock solid reliable engine, plus I baby it too. But being the oil nerd that I am, I just can't resist trying out new stuff, so even though Supertech can get the job done, next oil change I've got some Quaker State Ultimate Protection to go in there. And if I can find it in the near future I'd like to try Valvoline Protect and Restore for a few intervals as well :)

Where did you find the QSUP?

P.S. If you find a two-fer rebate consider it a blessing. My last two oil changed were only $10 each.
That’s right my current oil changes are costing me $24.30 that’s all in with tax. 5Qt NAPA full synthetic, ecogard blue can twice a year. Under $50 for the yr.

I was just getting ready to post this but searched it up first of course & here it is already posted. Wonderful! I just wish walmart stocked their 0w-40 Euro so I could get the $25 rebate.

Nah. Boutique for life.

There is already an extended performance version of PYJ (Pennzoil Yellow Jug) and that is this:

Quaker-State-Ultimate-Protection-Full-Synthetic-0W-20-Motor-Oil-5-Quart_0f550e61-6556-47a2-a048-2ec824ff609c.0a6c90fd8cdd2feed80f6d79541d0aea.jpeg

I just filled our new 2024 Odyssey with PPPP 5W-30. The jugs I bought from Walmart don’t have the 15,000 mile guarantee on them yet.
IMG_4175.jpeg

I assume it’s the same formula, just with the 15K marketing mumbo jumbo.

Incidentally, are we still using the PPPP (Pennzoil Platinum Pure Plus) acronym for Pennzoil Platinum?

1) Buy the Mobil1 FS High Mileage that is right for your car.

3) Change the oil every 6 mos. Change the filter every 6 mos.

Spend $60 to $80 a year. Worry about other things. Like the weather.

Edited to reflect my maintenance schedule for the wife's Hyundai Accent. 6 mos is usually less than 2k miles, but her trip to work is 1/4 mile each way so it's nothing but short trips save the occasional run into town. GDI 1.6L (the early version, not version II that has all the issues).

My Mazda3 is the same formula, but 1x/yr instead of 6 mos. And it gets mainly highway miles vs short tripped. MPFI.

I'm firmly in camp "oil changes are cheap, engines are not" and consider $120-150/yr on oil changes to be cheap insurance against issues.

Back