Pennzoil Gold 5W-30

Messages
4,094
Location
Kansas
Thank you for posting!! With 5w20, 0w20 and now a 16w, is there gonna be any need for the other viscosity oils soon? Is there a Pennzoil Gold 0w20?
 
Messages
2,094
Location
GoVols
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Marco620
Thank you for posting!! With 5w20, 0w20 and now a 16w, is there gonna be any need for the other viscosity oils soon? Is there a Pennzoil Gold 0w20?
Your very welcome ! There's such little info on this oil I was curious as to how it ranked with other 5W-30 blends. So I mailed off a sample.
 
Messages
1,894
Location
Somewhere in time
This stuff, while not particularly hard to come by, is slotted at a confusing level in SOPUS's marketing offerings. Right now 5q of Pennzoil Gold 5w-30 is $19.64 at Wally's. 5q of 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is $20.98. If I'm supposed to believe Pennzoil's marketing, why would I ever choose the Gold? Even if I'm not planning on extended drains, life happens, things sometimes get delayed or forgotten. Why not have the extra cushion of the PUP for $1 more? Given these circumstances, is there really any reason to select Gold? Thanks!!! cheers
 
Messages
2,094
Location
GoVols
Thread starter
My Walmart doesn't even stock Gold My local grocery stores does ...³ go figure...crazy Like I mention before, I sent off a sample just for curiosity to see how the Gold compared to other blends, my main interest was to see how the moly count was.....came in a little low from what I was hoping. Seems like a decent oil but as you mentioned it's in an odd place
 
Last edited:
Messages
13,322
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
I'm using this currently as a transition oil. My Kia factory fill (Total) was conventional. Dumped it at 1.5K. Will run the Pennzoil Gold for 3K OCI, then move up another step to full synthetic (Mobil-1).
 
Messages
2,094
Location
GoVols
Thread starter
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Kstanf150: thank you for posting the VOA smile
Your welcome sir !!!!👍
 
Last edited:
Messages
2,094
Location
GoVols
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I'm using this currently as a transition oil. My Kia factory fill (Total) was conventional. Dumped it at 1.5K. Will run the Pennzoil Gold for 3K OCI, then move up another step to full synthetic (Mobil-1).
What was your reason for choosing the Pennzoil Gold over all the other available blends on the shelf with much more data to go by ?
 
Messages
13,322
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Reminder that I will be using Mobil-1...... I could not locate Mobil Synblend anywhere brick & mortar, or online with free shipping at a reasonable price. I found the Pennzoil Gold at Walmart.com - then added new socks for free shipping. I am most familiar / most educated on Pennzoil products and will be using Platinum (long-term) in my Hyundai this summer. Don't take this wrong, for I like all the new formulas from Castrol and Valvoline. Neither of my two decisions were easy and were somewhat based on Pennzoil and Mobil-1 Rebate Promotions every year. Pennzoil Platinum boasts having the best pistons cleaning power for my Hyundai GDI and my co-worker's 2014 Kia Soul now has over 150K and has only been fed Mobil-1. Runs flawlessly. Hard working, long hours guy drives all over the country sometimes, as a regional educational director. Makes good money, but won't upgrade that six year-old Kia Soul yet. Thrifty is his middle name.....lol
 
Last edited:
Messages
4,094
Location
Kansas
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Reminder that I will be using Mobil-1...... I could not locate Mobil Synblend anywhere brick & mortar, or online with free shipping at a reasonable price. I found the Pennzoil Gold at Walmart.com - then added new socks for free shipping. I am most familiar / most educated on Pennzoil products and will be using Platinum (long-term) in my Hyundai this summer. Don't take this wrong, for I like all the new formulas from Castrol and Valvoline. Neither of my two decisions were easy and were somewhat based on Pennzoil and Mobil-1 Rebate Promotions every year. Pennzoil Platinum boasts having the best pistons cleaning power for my Hyundai GDI and my co-worker's 2014 Kia Soul now has over 150K and has only been fed Mobil-1. Runs flawlessly. Hard working, long hours guy drives all over the country sometimes, as a regional educational director. Makes good money, but won't upgrade that six year-old Kia Soul yet. Thrifty is his middle name.....lol
Could have gone with Mobil and one qt M1 for synblend. I think your car is gonna run a low time!
 
Messages
4,112
Location
WA
Originally Posted by Imp4
Given these circumstances, is there really any reason to select Gold?
Sometimes... A blend will have a naturally higher solvency due to the inclusion of a lesser refined grp2 BO's. If i really wanted to clean an engine out, I'd do several short runs with a full dino or syn blend HDEO.. From Machinery Lubrication.. "For example, there's the question of solvency. One of the main benefits of petroleum-based synthetic oils compared to their mineral oil cousins is the elimination of certain "undesirable" classes of molecules. Key among these is aromatics that contribute to a lower resistance to oxidation. But solvency can also be a good thing. For example, there have been numerous studies showing that the poor solvency of certain types of petroleum-based synthetics (and for that matter, highly refined mineral oils) can result in a greater tendency to lay down varnish in high-temperature applications such as gas turbines because the oil does not have the solvency to keep the oil-wetted components clean. Under these circumstances, the problem may be resolved by using oils with a higher natural solvency, perhaps a less highly refined mineral oil, or a nonhydrocarbon-based synthetic such as certain esters, or polyalkylene glycol (PAG) fluids which have excellent natural solvency. Solvency also plays a role in lubricant formulation..."
 
Last edited:
Messages
13,322
Location
1/2 hr N.E. of Detroit
Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Reminder that I will be using Mobil-1...... I could not locate Mobil Synblend anywhere brick & mortar, or online with free shipping at a reasonable price. I found the Pennzoil Gold at Walmart.com - then added new socks for free shipping. I am most familiar / most educated on Pennzoil products and will be using Platinum (long-term) in my Hyundai this summer. Don't take this wrong, for I like all the new formulas from Castrol and Valvoline. Neither of my two decisions were easy and were somewhat based on Pennzoil and Mobil-1 Rebate Promotions every year. Pennzoil Platinum boasts having the best pistons cleaning power for my Hyundai GDI and my co-worker's 2014 Kia Soul now has over 150K and has only been fed Mobil-1. Runs flawlessly. Hard working, long hours guy drives all over the country sometimes, as a regional educational director. Makes good money, but won't upgrade that six year-old Kia Soul yet. Thrifty is his middle name.....lol
Could have gone with Mobil and one qt M1 for synblend. I think your car is gonna run a low time!
Been reported here multiple times that Pennzoil Gold is 50% synthetic and I never propose buying single quarts of the major brands. Just too expensive that way. (Example) My Colorado holds six quarts. When I moved it to Castrol Euro 0W40, I bought two five quart jugs. That means I only need one five quart jug for the next few OCIs and I saved money buying the larger bulk jug.
 
Messages
2,094
Location
GoVols
Thread starter
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by Marco620
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Reminder that I will be using Mobil-1...... I could not locate Mobil Synblend anywhere brick & mortar, or online with free shipping at a reasonable price. I found the Pennzoil Gold at Walmart.com - then added new socks for free shipping. I am most familiar / most educated on Pennzoil products and will be using Platinum (long-term) in my Hyundai this summer. Don't take this wrong, for I like all the new formulas from Castrol and Valvoline. Neither of my two decisions were easy and were somewhat based on Pennzoil and Mobil-1 Rebate Promotions every year. Pennzoil Platinum boasts having the best pistons cleaning power for my Hyundai GDI and my co-worker's 2014 Kia Soul now has over 150K and has only been fed Mobil-1. Runs flawlessly. Hard working, long hours guy drives all over the country sometimes, as a regional educational director. Makes good money, but won't upgrade that six year-old Kia Soul yet. Thrifty is his middle name.....lol
Could have gone with Mobil and one qt M1 for synblend. I think your car is gonna run a low time!
Been reported here multiple times that Pennzoil Gold is 50% synthetic and I never propose buying single quarts of the major brands. Just too expensive that way. (Example) My Colorado holds six quarts. When I moved it to Castrol Euro 0W40, I bought two five quart jugs. That means I only need one five quart jug for the next few OCIs and I saved money buying the larger bulk jug.
The 50/50 blend has been dropped from the label like it once was. I guess we can assume it's still 50/50 but it's not advertised on the bottle any longer.
 

4WD

Messages
13,525
Location
Texas
Originally Posted by kstanf150
My Walmart doesn't even stock Gold My local grocery stores does ...³ go figure...crazy Like I mention before, I sent off a sample just for curiosity to see how the Gold compared to other blends, my main interest was to see how the moly count was.....came in a little low from what I was hoping. Seems like a decent oil but as you mentioned it's in an odd place
Same, recently got a six gallon PG box off ebay …but when the blow outs came along, it was gifted. And just did an unplanned change to PG at a quick lube. Some have been impressed by RDS saying its 50/50 which is good when you list as a semi … but I perhaps there are better 75/25's called synthetic but sell for less. And it was the cheapest Dex 1.2 since you would jump up to PP price that was too large when only the oil changed - all the other services were the same.
 
Messages
2,094
Location
GoVols
Thread starter
Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by kstanf150
My Walmart doesn't even stock Gold My local grocery stores does ...³ go figure...crazy Like I mention before, I sent off a sample just for curiosity to see how the Gold compared to other blends, my main interest was to see how the moly count was.....came in a little low from what I was hoping. Seems like a decent oil but as you mentioned it's in an odd place
Same, recently got a six gallon PG box off ebay …but when the blow outs came along, it was gifted. And just did an unplanned change to PG at a quick lube. Some have been impressed by RDS saying its 50/50 which is good when you list as a semi … but I perhaps there are better 75/25's called synthetic but sell for less. And it was the cheapest Dex 1.2 since you would jump up to PP price that was too large when only the oil changed - all the other services were the same.
I can get quarts for $4 bucks, so it's a good buy for stock inventory 👍
 
Top