Pennzoil Gold 5W-30

Thank you for posting!! With 5w20, 0w20 and now a 16w, is there gonna be any need for the other viscosity oils soon? Is there a Pennzoil Gold 0w20?

Originally Posted by Marco620
Thank you for posting!! With 5w20, 0w20 and now a 16w, is there gonna be any need for the other viscosity oils soon? Is there a Pennzoil Gold 0w20?
Your very welcome ! There's such little info on this oil I was curious as to how it ranked with other 5W-30 blends. So I mailed off a sample.

This stuff, while not particularly hard to come by, is slotted at a confusing level in SOPUS's marketing offerings. Right now 5q of Pennzoil Gold 5w-30 is $19.64 at Wally's. 5q of 5w-30 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is $20.98. If I'm supposed to believe Pennzoil's marketing, why would I ever choose the Gold? Even if I'm not planning on extended drains, life happens, things sometimes get delayed or forgotten. Why not have the extra cushion of the PUP for $1 more? Given these circumstances, is there really any reason to select Gold? Thanks!!! cheers

My Walmart doesn't even stock Gold My local grocery stores does ...³ go figure...crazy Like I mention before, I sent off a sample just for curiosity to see how the Gold compared to other blends, my main interest was to see how the moly count was.....came in a little low from what I was hoping. Seems like a decent oil but as you mentioned it's in an odd place

Last edited:
I'm using this currently as a transition oil. My Kia factory fill (Total) was conventional. Dumped it at 1.5K. Will run the Pennzoil Gold for 3K OCI, then move up another step to full synthetic (Mobil-1).

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Kstanf150: thank you for posting the VOA smile
Your welcome sir !!!!👍

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I'm using this currently as a transition oil. My Kia factory fill (Total) was conventional. Dumped it at 1.5K. Will run the Pennzoil Gold for 3K OCI, then move up another step to full synthetic (Mobil-1).
What was your reason for choosing the Pennzoil Gold over all the other available blends on the shelf with much more data to go by ?

Reminder that I will be using Mobil-1...... I could not locate Mobil Synblend anywhere brick & mortar, or online with free shipping at a reasonable price. I found the Pennzoil Gold at Walmart.com - then added new socks for free shipping. I am most familiar / most educated on Pennzoil products and will be using Platinum (long-term) in my Hyundai this summer. Don't take this wrong, for I like all the new formulas from Castrol and Valvoline. Neither of my two decisions were easy and were somewhat based on Pennzoil and Mobil-1 Rebate Promotions every year. Pennzoil Platinum boasts having the best pistons cleaning power for my Hyundai GDI and my co-worker's 2014 Kia Soul now has over 150K and has only been fed Mobil-1. Runs flawlessly. Hard working, long hours guy drives all over the country sometimes, as a regional educational director. Makes good money, but won't upgrade that six year-old Kia Soul yet. Thrifty is his middle name.....lol

Last edited:
Reminder that I will be using Mobil-1...... I could not locate Mobil Synblend anywhere brick & mortar, or online with free shipping at a reasonable price. I found the Pennzoil Gold at Walmart.com - then added new socks for free shipping. I am most familiar / most educated on Pennzoil products and will be using Platinum (long-term) in my Hyundai this summer. Don't take this wrong, for I like all the new formulas from Castrol and Valvoline. Neither of my two decisions were easy and were somewhat based on Pennzoil and Mobil-1 Rebate Promotions every year. Pennzoil Platinum boasts having the best pistons cleaning power for my Hyundai GDI and my co-worker's 2014 Kia Soul now has over 150K and has only been fed Mobil-1. Runs flawlessly. Hard working, long hours guy drives all over the country sometimes, as a regional educational director. Makes good money, but won't upgrade that six year-old Kia Soul yet. Thrifty is his middle name.....lol
Could have gone with Mobil and one qt M1 for synblend. I think your car is gonna run a low time!

Originally Posted by Imp4
Given these circumstances, is there really any reason to select Gold?
Sometimes... A blend will have a naturally higher solvency due to the inclusion of a lesser refined grp2 BO's. If i really wanted to clean an engine out, I'd do several short runs with a full dino or syn blend HDEO.. From Machinery Lubrication.. "For example, there's the question of solvency. One of the main benefits of petroleum-based synthetic oils compared to their mineral oil cousins is the elimination of certain "undesirable" classes of molecules. Key among these is aromatics that contribute to a lower resistance to oxidation. But solvency can also be a good thing. For example, there have been numerous studies showing that the poor solvency of certain types of petroleum-based synthetics (and for that matter, highly refined mineral oils) can result in a greater tendency to lay down varnish in high-temperature applications such as gas turbines because the oil does not have the solvency to keep the oil-wetted components clean. Under these circumstances, the problem may be resolved by using oils with a higher natural solvency, perhaps a less highly refined mineral oil, or a nonhydrocarbon-based synthetic such as certain esters, or polyalkylene glycol (PAG) fluids which have excellent natural solvency. Solvency also plays a role in lubricant formulation..."

Last edited:
Could have gone with Mobil and one qt M1 for synblend. I think your car is gonna run a low time!
Been reported here multiple times that Pennzoil Gold is 50% synthetic and I never propose buying single quarts of the major brands. Just too expensive that way. (Example) My Colorado holds six quarts. When I moved it to Castrol Euro 0W40, I bought two five quart jugs. That means I only need one five quart jug for the next few OCIs and I saved money buying the larger bulk jug.

Been reported here multiple times that Pennzoil Gold is 50% synthetic and I never propose buying single quarts of the major brands. Just too expensive that way. (Example) My Colorado holds six quarts. When I moved it to Castrol Euro 0W40, I bought two five quart jugs. That means I only need one five quart jug for the next few OCIs and I saved money buying the larger bulk jug.
The 50/50 blend has been dropped from the label like it once was. I guess we can assume it's still 50/50 but it's not advertised on the bottle any longer.

4WD

Originally Posted by kstanf150
My Walmart doesn't even stock Gold My local grocery stores does ...³ go figure...crazy Like I mention before, I sent off a sample just for curiosity to see how the Gold compared to other blends, my main interest was to see how the moly count was.....came in a little low from what I was hoping. Seems like a decent oil but as you mentioned it's in an odd place
Same, recently got a six gallon PG box off ebay …but when the blow outs came along, it was gifted. And just did an unplanned change to PG at a quick lube. Some have been impressed by RDS saying its 50/50 which is good when you list as a semi … but I perhaps there are better 75/25's called synthetic but sell for less. And it was the cheapest Dex 1.2 since you would jump up to PP price that was too large when only the oil changed - all the other services were the same.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by kstanf150
Same, recently got a six gallon PG box off ebay …but when the blow outs came along, it was gifted. And just did an unplanned change to PG at a quick lube. Some have been impressed by RDS saying its 50/50 which is good when you list as a semi … but I perhaps there are better 75/25's called synthetic but sell for less. And it was the cheapest Dex 1.2 since you would jump up to PP price that was too large when only the oil changed - all the other services were the same.
I can get quarts for $4 bucks, so it's a good buy for stock inventory 👍