Pennzoil 10W-30, '00 Ford F150 5.4L, 3,769 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil in use 4 months. 35% highway miles, 65% city miles. Miles on unit 41,063. No make-up oil. Good mix of ambient outside temperatures. Analysis by Blackstone on 5-12-04.

code:

ELEMENT TESTED UNIV

ALUMINUM 3 4

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 9 20

COPPER 4 7

LEAD 1 2

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 66

NICKEL 1

MANGANESE 1

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 53

SILICON 7

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 1835

MAGNESIUM 5

PHOSPHORUS 685

ZINC 937

BARIUM 0

SUS @ 210 55.7 (high 20 - started life at SUS of 63 per Pennz PDS)

FLASH 340

FUEL 1.3%

AF 0

H2O 0

INSOLS 0.3%

Blackstone comments: Your viscosity was a little low again this time, and now the oil does appear to have some fuel dilution (note the low flashpoint). Insolubles were still low at 0.3%, and no coolant or water contamination was found. TBN was the same as last time at 1.2, so not much active additive is remaining. Wear metals held steady or dropped, so the lower viscosity has not been a problem so far. We would suggest staying with your current change interval and resampling to monitor the flashpoint (% fuel). It's probably from idling or city driving & will disappear.

My comments: Ho-hum.

I agree. Get it out on the road a little more often if you can, but now that it's warming up, you probably won't need to idle so much. FWIW, I think that this is a pretty good report. Look at the wear metals...or rather...WHAT wear metals? You probably know as well as I by being on BITOG this long that a dino won't get you much past 3K on these big V8's. I'm using M1 5W-30 on my 5.4 and doing 5K changes. I haven't UOA'ed it yet, but from other members, that is about the norm for this engine. Surprized the TBN was that low, but fuel dilution will do that. If you stayed with this oil, wouldn't put it much past 3K, and it took you 4 months to get there so it won't really cost you a lot as compared to a good syn. What type of filter? The motorcraft FL820S?

quote:

Originally posted by Schmoe:
If you stayed with this oil, wouldn't put it much past 3K, and it took you 4 months to get there so it won't really cost you a lot as compared to a good syn. What type of filter? The motorcraft FL820S?

I did refill with this oil and since I will be doing some boat towing this summer I certainly do not intend to go past 3K. Filter is a Warner branded Champ Labs item used by American Fast Lube.

Well..the hotter months ought to allow you to go this distance at least but just for the heck of it-and considering the towing you would probably be smart to not go much over 3K miles.

Oh-darn good report as far as wear is concerned
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back