Peeling Dash Panel - Recommend an Adhesive

This little panel goes around the ignition on the Lexus' dash. The pad is lifting off the plastic backing due to age.

I'm think of some kind of adhesive (and clamping) to get the pad back onto the substrate. I'm thinking Gorilla Glue, the type that that woman used on her hair. What other options are out there? TIA

20220707_200551_cropped.jpg
20220707_200603_cropped.jpg

Silicone II caulk, shoe goo, I don’t think it will be particular. Used properly, rubber cement could be good. How are the surfaces? Rotten foam will far apart if that’s what you are gluing to.

I tried using weldwood rubber cement to glue a new piece of vinyl to my dash its its coming up because it doesnt have the temperature rating for sitting in a hot vehicle in the sun. I would probably use something like 3m 8090.

Upholstery guys tend to stick to contact cements for stuff like this. I would wager 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive could work.

The pad is not deteriorating at all. I think the pad is actually over-molded to some extent to the plastic backing. The pad is pretty stiff so it needs something strong. My guess is the stronger the adhesive, the more likely the "foam" portion of the pad will tear away eventually.

Even though there wouldn't be a lot of time to finesse things into place I'd likely use a quality hot glue. Have used it for various fixes and it never lets me down.

Back