Pressure Treated Wood Adhesive

I built a two canoe storage rack on the side of my home using pressure treated wood. Basically, two 4x4 posts cemented into the ground at 8ft apart. Upper and lower 2x bracing; unsupported 32" arms on top, bottom arms supported with cut off 4x4; through bolted (bolts galv & offset), and glued. The heaviest canoe (Old Town Discovery 164) is from my college days; while it sure does feel a lot heavier now than it did in 1995!! it really is about 100lbs. Not the heaviest load. I'll probably add a short arm top rack for storing two extension ladders.

Rack.jpg

Back to the point! I tried a few adhesives over the years for pressure treated wood and they all had issues with curing when applied to internally wet wood, strength, and flexibility. 3M makes 2 adhesives (I can't remember the # designation) but they have no flex to them. I used Gorilla Heavy Duty Ultimate (the heavy duty won't cut it) and bolted and clamped for 72hrs. The glue is tacky quick but won't quite cure with wet wood for up to a week. I left the clamps on, plus the bolts for 72hrs. It is fully cured now and I'm impressed with the strength of the bolts and adhesive together. I still have to take the circ saw and angle the arm ends.

I don't have any ties to Gorilla Glue, I actually despise using the poly glue for exotic woods. PITA dealing with the expansion and needs moisture and scraping squeeze out, etc... This glue is totally different. No expansion, squeeze out easily wiped with a wet rag. Good stuff. AND it is reportedly flexible. I'll have to report back in a decade!

Ultimate.jpg

Please disregard the mess! The side of the home has been neglected for many years. I am cleaning it all up now! Mulch, trimming shrubs, etc.. It's a work in progress. While I work the "boys" watch!

Dozer and Rocco.jpg

Without adhesive, the bolts will sag under load. Even with 6" 3/8 bolts and washers on both sides, tight enough to just begin crushing wood; PT is just too soft. If it were against the house into a ledger, 3/8 lags with washers would need no adhesive and be rather robust. The 32" unsupported arms need adhesive.

Gorilla Glue is a must-use in each household. It's incredibly strong, so I'm not surprised that it suited perfectly to build your canoe. Did you make the canoe for yourself, or you sell them?

Gorilla Glue is a must-use in each household. It's incredibly strong, so I'm not surprised that it suited perfectly to build your canoe. Did you make the canoe for yourself, or you sell them? I have started to work on a canoe project during the pandemic, but I gave up. Not enough knowledge, and I had no patience. I prefer having everything now and quickly. Maybe that's why I have just bought one for my fishing hobby and family at the same time. I have read all reviews on how to choose one according to my needs, on outdoorlifecafe.com
I chose a lightweight and comfortable one, a sun dolphin mackinaw. My kids are excited to go fishing next weekend.

Back