paint protection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Xzilon is just a high-quality sealant. I used the leftovers on my own car when I worked for a dealer.

The best part about Xzilon is the warranty that comes with it. Another good thing about it was the fact that a Xzilon application necessitated a full detail (DA with a mild polish) before application vs just a wash + wax for delivery.

From what I've read the warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Xzilon is just a high-quality sealant. I used the leftovers on my own car when I worked for a dealer.

The best part about Xzilon is the warranty that comes with it. Another good thing about it was the fact that a Xzilon application necessitated a full detail (DA with a mild polish) before application vs just a wash + wax for delivery.

You are 100% correct. You can buy Xzilon on eBay, it's not a bad sealant, but the claims of durabiluty and the way the salespeople sell this product is totally outrageous. And good luck on a warrant claim, a quick google search will show you what that paper is really worth...nada. $1000 for $15-$30 worth of product, nicely done dealerships. And would I want a dealership giving my car a "full detail w/ polish", no thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FastEddie

You are 100% correct. You can buy Xzilon on eBay, it's not a bad sealant, but the claims of durabiluty and the way the salespeople sell this product is totally outrageous. And good luck on a warrant claim, a quick google search will show you what that paper is really worth...nada. $1000 for $15-$30 worth of product, nicely done dealerships. And would I want a dealership giving my car a "full detail w/ polish", no thanks.

Bingo. The last two vehicles I bought I had them write across the top of the buyers order DO NOT DETAIL VEHICLE. Then when the vehicle arrived I called to remind them. The last thing I want is some $10/hr lot boy washing and waxing my new vehicle. Those same $10/hr lot boys are most likely applying these $1,000 paint protectors. NO THANKS AND NO WAY for me!

Originally Posted By: FastEddie

Bingo. The last two vehicles I bought I had them write across the top of the buyers order DO NOT DETAIL VEHICLE. Then when the vehicle arrived I called to remind them. The last thing I want is some $10/hr lot boy washing and waxing my new vehicle. Those same $10/hr lot boys are most likely applying these $1,000 paint protectors. NO THANKS AND NO WAY for me!

Yep, and they use a wash rag or a mitt that has been on the ground more than anywhere else. Plus they use it to clean the wheels. The clearcoats get all scratched and swirled from that.

If you are really "lucky", the dealership may have an arrangement with a nearby machine car wash. I also tell the service advisor not to wash the vehicle but sometimes they forget.

Hmm. Both dealers I use have in-house professional detailers.

We had lot boys they called "detailers," they worked in the prep department. Dirty wash mitts, and brushes were the norm, and towels to dry the cars, no thanks. Maybe where you are it's different. They guys who worked were I did had no business detailing cars. That was the case with the five different dealerships I worked at. To me all professional in house detailers means is that someone is getting paid to detail cars, in house. It didn't speak to the quality of their work, the word professional in those places was meaningless.

We had lot boys they called "detailers," they worked in the prep department. Dirty wash mitts, and brushes were the norm, and towels to dry the cars, no thanks. Maybe where you are it's different. They guys who worked were I did had no business detailing cars. That was the case with the five different dealerships I worked at. To me all professional in house detailers means is that someone is getting paid to detail cars, in house. It didn't speak to the quality of their work, the word professional in those places was meaningless.

Exactly my experience. Once after a so called "detailing" my car had huge sweaty hand prints on a near white headliner! I am sure there are some good guys out there but around here that word means little...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Exactly my experience. Once after a so called "detailing" my car had huge sweaty hand prints on a near white headliner! I am sure there are some good guys out there but around here that word means little...

There are plenty of good detailers. Odds are they aren't working at a local dealership, they're in their own business, with clients willing to pay for quality work. They probably aren't working for dealers as subcontractors either because dealers are notoriously cheap and won't pay up for good work. There might be exceptions, I haven't seen one.

Ok, I found a detailer who would do the 5 year warranty Ceramic Pro with interior for about the same price as the dealers Xzilon. Basically, the detailer would be hands down the place to go? I debating doing that or doing nothing.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

There are plenty of good detailers. Odds are they aren't working at a local dealership, they're in their own business, with clients willing to pay for quality work. They probably aren't working for dealers as subcontractors either because dealers are notoriously cheap and won't pay up for good work. There might be exceptions, I haven't seen one.

In both cases, (BMW/VW and Porsche) a local detail shop ended up partnering with the dealership. The detail company gets a constant stream of business and a good location, the dealership gets a quality product and can deal with issues on-site. At both dealers the detailers are paid well. New cars for the lot paid ~$100, used cars for the lot were $2-300. Customer cars ended up being anywhere from $1-500 depending on the car and it's condition. They do great work.

The free "service wash" though... *shudders* Just a machine wash and "hand dry." No thank you.

$800 for paint protection?? Thats like 20% of getting a new quality paint job. Im pretty new to detailing but Ive found if you take your time, wash, seal, and wax your paint, it will last a long time and look better than 90% of the cars out there.

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
$800 for paint protection?? Thats like 20% of getting a new quality paint job. Im pretty new to detailing but Ive found if you take your time, wash, seal, and wax your paint, it will last a long time and look better than 90% of the cars out there.
It seems like that is what I find that it cost that much, if you want something more than a glorified wax job. I not into spending hours into detailing my vehicles. I do have a pressure washer go do notice that it does get all the dirt off. Would you suggest that not to use a pressure washer, or what for tips should I know?

In both cases, (BMW/VW and Porsche) a local detail shop ended up partnering with the dealership. The detail company gets a constant stream of business and a good location, the dealership gets a quality product and can deal with issues on-site. At both dealers the detailers are paid well. New cars for the lot paid ~$100, used cars for the lot were $2-300. Customer cars ended up being anywhere from $1-500 depending on the car and it's condition. They do great work.

The free "service wash" though... *shudders* Just a machine wash and "hand dry." No thank you.

That can work, there's a market for quality work. If they really deliver the quality people will pay up. But for me, for that kind of money I'll do it myself.

The dealer I ordered my 2018 Corvette from offers ceramic coating, with paint correction, for only $699 Canadian. It's done at the dealer, but not by one of the regular techs, but by someone who's only job is to do paint correction and detailing. What I was told is that the guy doing the paint correction is a real perfectionist, he'll spend the entire day making sure the paint is perfect before the coating is put on. This coating offers a ten year warranty, which includes redoing the coating at the 5 year mark. I had already planned on getting the paint protected like this, but when I heard the great price and that it would be done before I take delivery of the car I was 100% sold!

Originally Posted By: NH73
I just bought my first vehicle on Friday. And of course, got hit with the dealer trying to make money. I declined all of them. One of them paint and interior protection. Of course, I like to do my best in protecting my paint the best I can, but didn't want to spend $800 doing it. Besides washing bird poop off as soon as possible, what are some of the easiest cheap things I could put on my paint. Yes, I understand there isn't any thing out there that will do near as good of what the expensive professional services offers.

I'd say it's worth the trouble to claybar a brand new car.

Beyond that, I'd say find yourself a spray sealant. Ultimate spray wax or Rejex come to mind. I'm sure that there are others. They are as good as your average sealant---maybe three months. Takes all of 20 minutes to apply.

I'd use a rinseless wash with a light spray wax built in. Duragloss and Ultimate Rinseless come to mind. I have good luck with the "Garry Dean" method. It's easier to Google than it is to explain. The method isn't particularly fast, but you can do it at night or even in inclement weather in the garage. That's a real convenience.

It's been five and a half years and my car still looks better than 95% of the cars in the company parking lot.

PS. Don't expect to do a rinseless wash with a really grimey car. Either hose it off with plain water at the coin-op or wash it conventionally.

If you live in a salty area get under there with plain water.

PPS If I lived in Pennsylvania I'd buy undercoating before I paid for some ridiculous dealer sealant. My recollection is that the Canadian forumites liked Krown brand undercoating. They ought to know.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back