Pad/Rotor Replacement? Should I go Drilled/Slotted.

OE drilled rotors are not in the same price range with aftermarket.
Here people mentioned Porsche rotors, BMW M, AMG etc. Compare price of those OE rotors with aftermarket which are usually around $80 to $100 depending on application. For example for 2014 M5, front rotor (one not pair) is around $500, regular steel, not carbon/ceramic.
There is a reason for such high price.

Exactly. BMW drilled rotors are not drilled, they are cast with the holes in them. Much stronger than drilling a bunch of holes in a rotor.

Never go with drilled rotors. They will crack from the thru-holes. Slotted are OK, but still not necessary unless you're frequently hitting the track. They do, however, help keep pad wear linear because the slots basically "clean" the pad. Realistically, buy a matched set from say EBC, and pick the appropriate pads based on your driving. I've used EBC kits on at least 6 of my cars and been pleased with all of them.

That will not run price at that level.
But, everything for jealous neighbors.
You and the jealous neighbors..hahahaa...I believe you told me that's why I use Liquimoly, to impress my neighbors!

Never go with drilled rotors. They will crack from the thru-holes. Slotted are OK, but still not necessary unless you're frequently hitting the track. They do, however, help keep pad wear linear because the slots basically "clean" the pad. Realistically, buy a matched set from say EBC, and pick the appropriate pads based on your driving. I've used EBC kits on at least 6 of my cars and been pleased with all of them.
Just checked both of my SUVs...no cracks on the drilled rotors yet so still safe thankfully...hahha

Extra time in the CNC machine for drilling costa more money. Don't you know anything about manufacturing and QC and lean methodology?

Actually yes and in every one of those categories.

I cannot see the robot speed, tooling and everything else being much more than insignificant for that little an operation.

Actually yes and in every one of those categories.

I cannot see the robot speed, tooling and everything else being much more than insignificant for that little an operation.
You still need to pay a sucker to monitor the CNC's, not to mention, drilling a hole more holes also means you have increased maintenance costs of the drill bits and the countersink bits, ie replacing them or resharpening them (which then you have to account for their labor), so that quality control is maintained on every product. This is why if a rotor is available in both as a drilled and as slotted, the slotted rotor will cost slightly less.

Directional slots/drilled rotors increases inventory costs, as you need to order additional packaging for the unique part number, as well as need the increased inventory space which is considered to be a "waste". So, a unidirectional drilling/slot where possible is preferred. For a curved vane rotor, this increased inventory and packaging cost is not avoidable.

Safety check performed on Atlas with Powerstop rotors. Looks ok.
20200930_154737.jpg

You still need to pay a sucker to monitor the CNC's, not to mention, drilling a hole more holes also means you have increased maintenance costs of the drill bits and the countersink bits, ie replacing them or resharpening them (which then you have to account for their labor), so that quality control is maintaine

I'm paying that sucker regardless so he should at least be producing.

As far as the rest of it those expenses barely go about incidentals for large scale production line machining

roofless, can you confirm that the Porsche OE rotors have cast holes? I do believe there would be measurable differences in the life cycle of cast holes vs drilled holes... any time you drill through metal you introduce microscopic cracks and surface deformities from the cutting tool that can propagate thru the rotor material when it is aggressively heat cycled; cast holes should theoretically avoid this introduction of defect origins around the thru-hole and provide better life, all other things being equal.

roofless, can you confirm that the Porsche OE rotors have cast holes? I do believe there would be measurable differences in the life cycle of cast holes vs drilled holes... any time you drill through metal you introduce microscopic cracks and surface deformities from the cutting tool that can propagate thru the rotor material when it is aggressively heat cycled; cast holes should theoretically avoid this introduction of defect origins around the thru-hole and provide better life, all other things being equal.
I am unsure whether they are cast or drilled.

I don't remember who posted the carbon fiber Ferrari brakes, but, cooling carbon fiber brakes beyond what is necessary to maintain reasonable temps at the wheel hub does not make sense because they work better the hotter they get. Conversely, they are less effective when cold, the opposite of street brakes.

Carbon Fiber brakes are utterly irrelevant to any discussion of street brakes....

You and the jealous neighbors..hahahaa...I believe you told me that's why I use Liquimoly, to impress my neighbors!
I have a friend who runs LM 5W50 in his 2016 M5 and posts on Facebook everytime he changes oil, and one of photos is always zoomed on Made in Germany.

I don't remember who posted the carbon fiber Ferrari brakes, but, cooling carbon fiber brakes beyond what is necessary to maintain reasonable temps at the wheel hub does not make sense because they work better the hotter they get. Conversely, they are less effective when cold, the opposite of street brakes.

Carbon Fiber brakes are utterly irrelevant to any discussion of street brakes....
That is true for any true racing brakes, but there is also limit. Those Ferrari brakes are still vented.

Wait? What? Did they shrink made in Germany letters? Ask for refund ASAP!
I think it's more prominent on some of their bottles than others....funny all the same.

Drilled slotted rotors, a gimmick for every day use, some people think it turns there mini van into a race car.

Slotted maybe, but the factory OEM rotors on even my pedestrian C-class Mercedes are drilled in the front,

large.jpg

The rear ones are not so I went with aftermarket. Yes, just for looks and to match the front.

large.jpg

Slotted maybe, but the factory OEM rotors on even my pedestrian C-class Mercedes are drilled in the front,

large.jpg

The rear ones are not so I went with aftermarket. Yes, just for looks and to match the front.

large.jpg
Scandalous!

Back