P0101 & p0172; 2010 Toyota Corolla 1.8l 48k miles

As title states I just got these codes as I was driving to my brothers to watch the bills game. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe something was disconnected but don’t see any lines undone. Any hep is appreciated .
2010 Toyota Corolla 1.8l 48k miles

Attachments

• IMG_4310.jpeg
    IMG_4310.jpeg
    143.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4305.jpeg
    IMG_4305.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4306.jpeg
    IMG_4306.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4307.jpeg
    IMG_4307.jpeg
    190.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4302.jpeg
    IMG_4302.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4300.jpg
    IMG_4300.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 50
It’s pretty clear where the problems lie. You just need to have a confirmed diagnosis and a confirmed repair.
It’s one or both of those sensors(air fuel ratio sensor or the mass airflow sensor). One sensor may be causing the other one to trigger the code as well but that’s where the confirmed diagnosis comes in. Whatever you do stay with OE parts or you’ll be chasing/replacing forever. I may wager that it’s the MAF causing both codes and the MAF could just need a cleaning and then reset the CEL.

Last edited:
my 2 cents:
mass airflow sensor appears to not be working correctly due to age or wiring.
is usually right behind the air intake filter in the pipe.

If part is cheap enough I sometimes parts cannon repairs.. other times its not cost effective.

I'd disconnect the Battery and then clean the Mass airflow sensor with a bit of contact cleaner and see if the air filter is dirty.

Then reset the codes and see if they come back.

Does it have a K&N (or other oiled gauze) air filter? That mileage seems low for a MAP to fail-AFAIK my Corolla is still on the original @ 107K (knock on wood).
not gonna lie, even though I am totally against K&N, I did recently have the TRD air filter installed. However , I only had it in for about 10 days max, and went back to the OEM air filter. I changed back to the OEM about a week ago.

So I cleared the codes, and drove from a local bar/eatery to my brothers house and code didn’t come back. It was only about a 20 minute ride, but on my way home after the game, I will update if codes return. The drive from brothers to my house is well over an hour

i wouldnt clear the codes.

172-dump a bottle of techron and some top tier gas. Dont run the tank below half again.
101-since you mentioned you messed around with the intake system, Id double check my work.

Sounds like a dirty/bad maf but let's verify......Clear the codes and unplug MAF. Then drive it and see if those codes return (you will obviously have MAF codes since it is disconnected). If no other codes come back then look at the MAF as the culprit.

Update: drive home yesterday was fine no engine code but to my dismay it’s back on this morning.

Clean the MAF. Make sure to use only MAF cleaner spray. Remove and disconnect the MAF. Keep the sensor in a downward position and spray liberally from all sides/directions. Gently shake off excess liquid and let it air dry for a few minutes. Reinstall.

Update: so yesterday I had some free time at work, so I popped my hood to take a good look. The night before when I originally saw the code, it was dark out so I couldn’t really take a good look. Anyhow, I grabbed the mat sensor and gave her a little wiggle, and sure enough she was loose. The screws backed slighy out , so it wasn’t a complete seal. Which also explains why I had a few stumbles when trying to start the other day. We are finally almost done with this neighborhood, 2 more houses to finish and it’s on to the next one. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments, and I will continue to monitor. Here’s my view this morning :

Attachments

• IMG_4388.jpeg
    IMG_4388.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4391.jpeg
    IMG_4391.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4390.jpeg
    IMG_4390.jpeg
    191.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4395.jpeg
    IMG_4395.jpeg