Oversized battery Install in 2015 Escape 2.5L

BTW i made a big mistake with bigger is better in a BMW one time, computer controlled everything in a BMW. You actually need Scan tool to tell computer it's a new battery and since this BMW did not have cold weather package the original smaller battery was required, both were the same price.

BTW i made a big mistake with bigger is better in a BMW one time, computer controlled everything in a BMW. You actually need Scan tool to tell computer it's a new battery and since this BMW did not have cold weather package the original smaller battery was required, both were the same price.
So in this case a larger battery doesn't work either? Hmmmm.

First, the slight difference in weight has a practically, immeasurably low difference in fuel economy.
So you do agree there is a MPG hit? Thanks for admitting that. Mile after mile it all adds up guys. Cornering, tire wear..........
Suppose the vehicle needs 150A to start at a particular temperature
So if you only need like 150 amps to start the car, why do YOU need a larger battery? Makes no sense. It's all about the American bigger is better with zero evidence on the subject. Couple buzz terms like capacity and cells LOL.
Yes, it would be "fine" with the stock battery size. It will be even better, with a larger, higher capacity battery,
Prove it. Not just with words.

I can swap your battery out with a lawn mower battery. You would never know the difference. As long as your alternator can keep up that is.

Install the OEM factory sized battery. No further debate required. Ford made the OP's car. Ford knows what battery size needs to be in there.

I hope you are not into reloading ammunition for guns. Oh just throw in a little more Red Dot powder.........

I can swap your battery out with a lawn mower battery. You would never know the difference. As long as your alternator can keep up that is.

Till the lawnmower battery fails sooner than one of the correct size, or won't start the car in winter temperatures.

Till the lawnmower battery fails sooner than one of the correct size, or won't start the car in winter temperatures.
Or the car gets into an accident or someone steals the battery or the car catches on fire or a mouse chews through the wires. We can go all day with this and my poor English skills.

Install the OEM sized battery guy.

Larger batteries might not work with your hold down clamping device either. No need to reinvent the wheel.

So you do agree there is a MPG hit? Thanks for admitting that. Mile after mile it all adds up guys. Cornering, tire wear..........

A hit that is so immeasurably low that it's not at all worth thinking about.

In fact it doesn't all add up the way you want to assume, unless you also add the reality of the situation which is all else equal, the larger battery will have a longer service life, so fewer trips to have batteries replaced over time will swamp that 0.1% weight difference.

That weight difference is so small that you'd literally have 50% more gain by just no longer filling your tank, leave a gallon out, or any number of other ways to better be stingy about every last drop of fuel. Take the back seats out, take the trim panels off, roll with only 1/2 tank of windshield washer fluid, etc, etc. It's not worth the bother.

Install the OEM sized battery guy.

Larger batteries might not work with your hold down clamping device either. No need to reinvent the wheel.
That's the kind of situation that reminds me why a tape measure was invented.

No need to try to discourage other people from doing something that has benefit. As far as the wheel goes, I for one am glad we aren't driving around on wooden wagon wheels. :)

So the battery sits slightly in front of the driver, it will have about as much effect on tire wear and steering as a 225lb guy sitting in the driver's seat vs my dad at about 200lbs.

So if you only need like 150 amps to start the car, why do YOU need a larger battery? Makes no sense. It's all about the American bigger is better with zero evidence on the subject. Couple buzz terms like capacity and cells LOL.

Prove it. Not just with words.

Install the OEM factory sized battery. No further debate required. Ford made the OP's car. Ford knows what battery size needs to be in there.

I hope you are not into reloading ammunition for guns. Oh just throw in a little more Red Dot powder.........

If you're satisfied with having the bare minimum specs that your vehicle is able to operate with, then stick with what the OEM wants you to have.

Some people like to upgrade to better parts when possible. Life's too short, try not to let that bother you.

I have a theory that a larger battery, which starts out having way more cranking amps than you could ever need, should last much longer before wearing down to the point that your vehicle won't start.

I've never actually read one way or the other if my theory is true or not, but it makes sense to me.

Or the car gets into an accident or someone steals the battery or the car catches on fire or a mouse chews through the wires. We can go all day with this and my poor English skills.

Or it hits 0F (which sometimes happens here and probably never where you are) and the battery doesn't have the CCA to crank the engine over.

If you're satisfied with having the bare minimum specs that your vehicle is able to operate with, then stick with what the OEM wants you to have.

Some people like to upgrade to better parts when possible. Life's too short, try not to let that bother you.

I have a theory that a larger battery, which starts out having way more cranking amps than you could ever need, should last much longer before wearing down to the point that your vehicle won't start.

I've never actually read one way or the other if my theory is true or not, but it makes sense to me.
It's not just a theory. It's proven fact that the less the higher capacity battery discharges on each starting even, the longer it will last, all else being equal which is achieved by choosing the same battery design but in a larger form factor aka group size.

Any vehicle in any particular temperate will need X amount of current to start. If the smaller aged battery, let's say it's at 40% of new capacity, then falls below the theshold of being able to start the vehicle, then all else equal, the larger battery, suppose it has 30% more original CA, will have a longer lifespan till below the minimum CA needed to start the vehicle. This does depend on normal wear, not some vehicle fault like the alternator not charging it.

The backwards theory suggested by *someone*, would also suggest that you should even reduce the battery capacity below what the manufacturer suggested, put some little lawn mower battery in to save a few more pounds, nevermind if it only lasts till winter cold temps come this year or the next instead of a normal lifecycle.

The factory battery on many vehicles is not the optimal battery for it, rather it was chosen by bean counters.

Show us the proof.

Larger batteries have more plates. More plates equates to more parts count inside. More parts count equates to earlier failures. Much easier for the plates to short out and leave you stranded.

Buy the OEM size and never lose sleep over it.

You are missing the entire point of batteries. Most modern cars and trucks require only like lets call it 200 max amps to start the engine. That 200 amp guesstimate is on the very high side. More like 80 to 120 amps.

So when a person"thinks" he needs a 1,000 CCA battery to start his Honda Accord, total nonsense. F150, Hummer or minivan doesn't matter.

Again buy the OEM size. Millions of them out there on the roads, right now.........

So when a person"thinks" he needs a 1,000 CCA battery to start his Honda Accord, total nonsense.

No, they don't need a 1K CCA battery, but they do need better than a Group 51, particularly if they live in a cold climate.
If you want to know what I base this statement on, look at my signature.

I did the same modification on my 2011 Fusion to get the bigger battery into that car's battery tray. I noticed an immediate difference in cranking speed. Not to mention the bigger battery has a higher reserve capacity which works out for me because I like to sit in my car with the engine off listening to the radio....

I did the same modification on my 2011 Fusion to get the bigger battery into that car's battery tray. I noticed an immediate difference in cranking speed. Not to mention the bigger battery has a higher reserve capacity which works out for me because I like to sit in my car with the engine off listening to the radio....
My dad likes to sit in his car and eat with the radio going and the engine off.

Back