Ram eTorque 12V Battery Replacement: FLA or AGM?

My truck has start/stop, but the engine restarts are handled by the 48V hybrid battery. However, when the engine is off, the accessory loads (radio, climate control, etc.) are drawn from the 12V battery. So, this 12V battery does experience more discharge than one found in a vehicle without this feature.

Naturally, I am inclined to replace with a FLA since the charging algorithm is not optimized for AGM. However, I cannot help but wonder if this is the perfect application for AGM given the discharge cycles.

The factory battery size is H7.

Option 3, an EFB battery which many people have never heard of.
I can get an ACDelco Gold 94R/H7 FLA for $137 from my supplier. All of the EFB options are more expensive than AGM.

Last edited:
I'd put the same type of battery in that it came with from the factory unless there was some overwhelming reason not to.

The charging algorithms for FLA versus AGM are not necessarily very different. There can be a lot of overlap. Most manufacturers seem to prefer AGM or EFB for start-stop applications. Is your OE battery an EFB?

The charging algorithms for FLA versus AGM are not necessarily very different. There can be a lot of overlap. Most manufacturers seem to prefer AGM or EFB for start-stop applications. Is your OE battery an EFB?
OE is FLA, probably because the engine restart is handled by the 48V hybrid battery and not the 12V.

here’s what I would do. I would seek whichever had the highest amp-hour capacity, either by comparing AH if listed or RC for reserve capacity, which is basically an AH derivative at a set discharge rate. Since this isn’t a starter battery (except if the 48v system fails, seems like it has a backup starter?), I’d favor one with better deep cycle characteristics. Chances are, this will land you in agm territory.

Back