Oversized battery Install in 2015 Escape 2.5L

Show us the proof.

Larger batteries have more plates. More plates equates to more parts count inside. More parts count equates to earlier failures. Much easier for the plates to short out and leave you stranded.

Buy the OEM size and never lose sleep over it.

Read wrxsixeights post on this thread….

And read his numerous other posts about batteries on here.

He got 1,200 deep cycles out of a TPPL battery. Which is a remarkable achievement. And used it to start his vehicle too.

And…. That battery was way, way, way heavier than the oem battery.

No, they don't need a 1K CCA battery, but they do need better than a Group 51, particularly if they live in a cold climate.
If you want to know what I base this statement on, look at my signature.
Yep the four cylinder Gen 8 Accord came with a battery that was marginal for really cold weather.
I bought my '12 around the same time Tdbo bought his and I can tell you that on a 0F or below morning the Accord cranked pretty reluctantly.
The fix was to replace the OEM battery when it died with the one intended for the V-6, which fit easily with a little bending of the hold-down.

Yep the four cylinder Gen 8 Accord came with a battery that was marginal for really cold weather.
I bought my '12 around the same time Tdbo bought his and I can tell you that on a 0F or below morning the Accord cranked pretty reluctantly.
The fix was to replace the OEM battery when it died with the one intended for the V-6, which fit easily with a little bending of the hold-down.
Some comparing a new battery regardless of size to an old one is the ticket right? Apples to cannon balls fella.

Read wrxsixeights post on this thread….

And read his numerous other posts about batteries on here.

He got 1,200 deep cycles out of a TPPL battery. Which is a remarkable achievement. And used it to start his vehicle too.

And…. That battery was way, way, way heavier than the oem battery.
I see zero mention of any car or truck brand here guy. OEM like battery install as the OP was stating.

All you are impressed with is some over sized deep cycle boat battery. WOW, 1200 cycles out of a "deep cycle" battery. Aren't they supposed to do that? LOL

Going ONE place a day for a year is 2 starts per day. One start at A and one start at B to get you home. Multiply that by 365 for one whole year is 730 starts. So this WONDER battery lasted less than 2 full years? Not impressed guy. Any other real world evidence?

I did the same modification on my 2011 Fusion to get the bigger battery into that car's battery tray. I noticed an immediate difference in cranking speed.
So you went from an old dead/weak battery to a new larger battery. Now you saw faster cranking. Impressive.........

My flashlight is really dim. I put new batteries in. Now I can see better. I should of put in larger batteries with the SAME voltage as the OEM batteries. Really shine so much further away. Come on guys.

So you went from an old dead/weak battery to a new larger battery. Now you saw faster cranking. Impressive.........

My flashlight is really dim. I put new batteries in. Now I can see better. I should of put in larger batteries with the SAME voltage as the OEM batteries. Really shine so much further away. Come on guys.
I never said that. I replaced a good battery with the larger AGM because I was going on a trip where the car would spend more time powering devices with the engine off, therefore (to me) the cost of the larger battery was worth it. And I noticed that between the two, the larger battery cranked the engine faster.

Why did we resurrect my year and a half old thread about my dad's larger battery that may I add has been working perfectly fine for the last 19 months and is still going, if you don't want a larger battery then don't put one in, the 2016+ version of the car with stop/start comes with an H6 out of the box although the BMS on those models can have the battery type and group size set while you can't do that on the older models, but even without setting that I don't think it's a big deal because other Ford cars of this vintage come with a T5 from the factory but come with two holes drilled for the hold down bracket one so that it can hold an H5/T5 and another that can hold a H6/T6 and there's no problem putting an H6 in those.

I think that we all know that a larger capacity battery is always a good thing.
Nothing to do with flashlights, and anyone who actually read the post they quoted would note that the original battery was weak in very cold ambient temperatures even when new while the larger battery intended for the V-6 was considerably better.

I always got by the size and getting the biggest that fits. My Accent I went two sizes up. Doesn't quite fit the tray, about 1/4" too long but the hold down works. Spins like summer at -10F.

I think that we all know that a larger capacity battery is always a good thing.
Nothing to do with flashlights, and anyone who actually read the post they quoted would note that the original battery was weak in very cold ambient temperatures even when new while the larger battery intended for the V-6 was considerably better.

Especially when one could buy the larger battery for less money, and have superior performance.

You continue to demonstrate that you don't understand lead acid battery tech.

It's not the same voltage. A smaller battery, all else equal, drops to a lower voltage during cranking, and this (again all else equal) decreases its lifespan, before even considering it had a lower viable lifespan to begin with because even if the degradation rate were equal, starting with a lower CCA battery means the same % degradation, makes it drop to a lower (than needed to start the vehicle) capacity sooner.

The more it degrades in capacity faster, the lower the crank voltage is, and the faster still it degrades.

In fact the same is somewhat true of flashlights. If you have a high power flashlight, say a 1000 lumen light and are trying to run it from a 14500 cell, it will be dimmer than if running from an equal quality 18650 cell because despite their nominal voltage being the same, that is rated at a specific load and the smaller 14500 cell is rated for a lower load to meet its capacity spec, will droop more under high (or really any measurably different) current draw.

The greater difference with lead acid is this additional voltage droop, causes a more substantial permanent decrease in battery capacity.

Further, since the larger battery keeps a higher voltage longer, in a flashlight you really will see it shine further past the half life of the cell capacity, where it is depleted below the optimal forward voltage of the LED plus the forward voltage drop across the LED driver circuit. Battery voltage is not constant, it drops as the battery drains. A higher capacity battery keeps voltage higher at the same drain rate, unless there's a construction difference that causes higher impedance.

Ultimately with your flashlight analogy, it is more the same than different. Your battery will be depleted sooner and leave you scrambling in the dark, similar to a vehicle owner being stranded sooner because their vehicle won't start.

Last edited:
I see zero mention of any car or truck brand here guy. OEM like battery install as the OP was stating.

All you are impressed with is some over sized deep cycle boat battery. WOW, 1200 cycles out of a "deep cycle" battery. Aren't they supposed to do that? LOL

Going ONE place a day for a year is 2 starts per day. One start at A and one start at B to get you home. Multiply that by 365 for one whole year is 730 starts. So this WONDER battery lasted less than 2 full years? Not impressed guy. Any other real world evidence?

????? That's deep cycles. Your preferred smaller starting battery wouldn't last 3 months in the same deep cycle scenario.

I noticed that between the two, the larger battery cranked the engine faster.
Your starter only draws x amount of amps. Under 200 amps on the very high side. Didn't we cover this?

To sum it up, your larger battery, in your mind, cranks your starter faster. That is what you should of said. Or you had a bad connection on the old battery or flaky ground causing your slow cranks.

You changing it out for a larger battery to listen to your ear buds is laughable at best. What you might get an extra 3 songs till the larger battery dies on your ipod?

????? That's deep cycles. Your preferred smaller starting battery wouldn't last 3 months in the same deep cycle scenario.
1200 totally depleted deep cycles right? So after every start you had to charge it back up fully from a dead 0 capacity. Is this what you are saying? Still not impressed. Less than 2 years IF that was the case.

I never spoke about RV or boat deep cycle batteries guy. Just said a smaller battery would still start the vehicle and you or I would never know it was smaller than OEM equipped.

And of course I know zero about lead acid batteries, agreed. No argument there.

Back