Overfilled diff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish mine said that much so I'd have that to rationalize against … there is nothing …

Don't loose any sleep over this one, if its not dripping out of the fill hole its fine. If it were that critical they would have moved the fill hole 13mm lower.

Originally Posted by Trav
Don't loose any sleep over this one, if its not dripping out of the fill hole its fine. If it were that critical they would have moved the fill hole 13mm lower.

Anyone know the link with the transparent diffy cover video … was he with AFE, Banks maybe ?
That would help put this subject in perspective …

On my sig vehicles and previous ones, I filled until it dribbled out of the fill hole while cold. After a few drive cycles, I would check and as long as it was at the fill hole or a slight dribble, it was good. Never had any failures or issues.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Anyone know the link with the transparent diffy cover video … was he with AFE, Banks maybe ?

Gale Banks did a Youtube series on how diff covers work, or don't work. Interesting stuff and yeah Banks makes one apparently but there are some pretty iffy products out there. More capacity isn't necessarily better.

Originally Posted by 4WD

It's only applicable to that differential though. Not all are designed alike. Similar, yeah, but not identical enough to cover all scenarios.

I do not own a 4WD or Jeep . I have driven my share of RWD vehicles . I was always tought to fill the diff or manual transmission until the oil comes out .

Our 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l automatic has a fill hole on top , a drain hole on bottom and a check fluid level hole in between . Add DEXRON 6 ATF untill it runs out the check hole . Start the car & run through the gears . Add ATF untill it comes out the fill hole , again & then replace the threaded plug .

Originally Posted by HoosierJeeper
Thanks for the discussion.... I ended up taking some out, makes me sleep better at night!

I guess that is worth something, personally I wouldn't have even thought about it never mind loose sleep over it but believe me I know the feeling.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by 4WD

It's only applicable to that differential though. Not all are designed alike. Similar, yeah, but not identical enough to cover all scenarios.

Yeah they are so unique since AAM hardly makes any of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back