Our trash guy is getting on my nerves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Several neighbors are having the same problem. When he dumps the bin he backs away for from it. As he does this the forks pull it.

This is the 2nd time this month that its blocking my circle driveway.

The wheels are bent and buried in the dirt so I can't push it back. When I try to push it it flips it over onto its back instead of moving. I can't pull it from behind as there is no room.

I called the trash company but it does not get moved.
I can't be home when he dumps it.

I'm thinking of either flipping it over and leaving for him to flip back. Or dragging it out into the desert away from my house.Maybe he will get the hint then.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
I'm thinking of either flipping it over and leaving for him to flip back. Or dragging it out into the desert away from my house.Maybe he will get the hint then.

I doubt that he would get out of the truck to do anything. If it's not readily accessible, he'd likely just skip your place.

You will lose any psychological war you try to wage with a garbage collector.

If he is doing the job improperly, video it and make a rational case. Right now you are coming off as a loon with too much free time on your hands but a video would concrete your issue.

Also if you video him causing damage, you should be able to get your property replaced.

However if "several neighbors are having the same problem", it would send a stronger message if you get multiple people to complain so they don't see you as just a one-off cranky old f4rt.
wink.gif

Last edited:
I had something similar happen on my block recently. One guy was grabbing the bin so hard it split down the side. Not a big issue, except it allowed flies to get into the bin, and in no time you have maggots. So I called the city for a new bin. 4 calls and a month later they finally delivered one.

On the very next pickup the nit wit slammed it down so hard after he emptied it, he managed to break one wheel in half. And he did it to 3 others on my block. My next door neighbor included. This time they delivered a new bin the next day. (They were no doubt flooded with calls from everyone else on the block).

They obviously knew they had a problem with this guy, because the following week, (last week), our trash wasn't picked up until late that afternoon. And it took the guy 10 minutes just to dump the bins on my side of the street. So he was obviously a new trainee learning how to operate the equipment. He was setting them down like they were full of eggs. So they must have finally canned Mr. Grab & Smash.

Garbage collection has changed since I did it for 1 year in 1950. Then we had to pick up from the close to the house, empty the bins into a cardboard box and carry that to the truck. Residents only had to fill their own garbage cans.

Can you take your own trash to a dump or transfer station?
I don't miss having trash pickup one bit, even though our transfer station is a mess on weekends...my wife usually takes stuff during the week as she heads into work much later than me and also only works 3-4 days a week.
I take heavy stuff and oil in on the weekends, it's frustrating due to crowds and people being stupid but honestly never takes that long.
When we had pickup at our last house, trash had to be put out by early on a certain morning and you couldn't really put it out the night before because animals might get into it and drivers might crash into it. The cans would be blown all over the street on windy days and some folks would always have extra trash piled by the cans the might not get taken and that was a bigger mess. Sounds like you don't have to deal with this if everybody has their own dumpster, though.
Now that I'm thinking about this, I think our newer neighbors might have dropped having their trash picked up...haven't seen their cans out or excess trash blowing around the neighborhood lately.

IDK what kind of trash load you have to deal with and if you can even take it in yourself, but it might be worth thinking about given that your trash guy is actually making it hard for you to get out of your driveway.

I could. But. Its 45 min each way to the dump. Once at the dump I have to stomp a round in ankle deep stinky mud which I track into my truck and ruin my shoes. No thanks.

Last edited:
I could. But. Its 45 min each way to the dump. Once at the dump I have to stomp a round in ankle deep stinky mud which I track into my truck and ruin my shoes. No thanks.

Yeah, that's no good. Guess you need to figure out how to get your trash guy to stop being a tool!

Since you've got neighbors in the same situation, why not try to get 5-6 guys together to move it?

Or install a concrete pad for it....because right now there's no defined area for it to be in, so he may see that as a free form situation where precision isn't required.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Can you make another area for it?

I can but I would have to carry my trash much much farther.

You don't carry a wheeled bin. You walk it Walk a few more steps and drop it off further away from where your vehicle rolls on your circle drive. Just don;t place it where any vehicle-operated mailman might need access to your curbside mailbox.

Either that, or take pics and forward them to the trash supervisor. Never enter mouth-to-mouth disagreement with a garbageman that may service your home for years. You could regret that decision..

Last edited:
That stinks. All my garbage men (and mailmen for that matter) have been great folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back