Other sues for CVT fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the consensus? I have about 90 quarts of it from the Autozone $1 clearance, and want to see what I can use it for. I'd be shocked if I couldn't use it as a power steering fluid in vehicles that call for Dex/Merc. Thoughts?

burn it in the gas as top end lube.

I also bought a few quarts and am thinking of using it in my regular auto thinking it may grab harder gears.

Also in my manual thinking it may make the synchros work better.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
burn it in the gas as top end lube.

Top end lube? I don't own any rotary engines. And my helocopter is a turbo jet
wink.gif

Last edited:
Mix blend it with some STP or Lucas to the right viscosity next time you see it on sale, and make a bar oil. LOL Or better yet try and sell it for a profit.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Only on BITOG would someone buy oil they can't use.

How about sell it on Craigslist?

When AutoZone had SAE 30 Delo gallons for 99¢ some people bought 20 gallons even though they didn't need it.

Hello,
SERIOUS QUESTION: Which CVT fluid is it exactly? Provide brand name and any particulars from the bottle.
Lesser question: What on Earth prompted you to buy 90 quarts of a petroleum product you didn't need?

SERIOUS SUGGESTIONS: 1) Aside from Craigslisting it, why not offer the lot to nearby transmission shops?
Determine the cost of bulk CVT fluid delivery and come up with a price.
2) DO NOT use it anywhere else in a car except in a CVT. "Upper cylinder lube" had to have been a joke. Kira

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
Only on BITOG would someone buy oil they can't use.

How about sell it on Craigslist?

When AutoZone had SAE 30 Delo gallons for 99¢ some people bought 20 gallons even though they didn't need it.

I would have bought all they had even then. (CVT fluid not so much..) I would have given it to people that I know who use 30 weight in their heavy machinery. Plus our OPE would have loved the stuff.

On a side note, our local AZ has Rotella 10w30 on clearence for $12.99 a gallon. Not great, but not bad either.

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello,
SERIOUS QUESTION: Which CVT fluid is it exactly? Provide brand name and any particulars from the bottle.
Lesser question: What on Earth prompted you to buy 90 quarts of a petroleum product you didn't need?

SERIOUS SUGGESTIONS: 1) Aside from Craigslisting it, why not offer the lot to nearby transmission shops?
Determine the cost of bulk CVT fluid delivery and come up with a price.
2) DO NOT use it anywhere else in a car except in a CVT. "Upper cylinder lube" had to have been a joke. Kira

It's the Valvoline blue bottle CVT, this stuff here:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/cvt_fluid.pdf

And what prompted me to buy it? It was $1/qt. I'll be VERY shocked if I cannot find a good use for it.

You can use it in almost any transfer case, differential, or gearbox.... that calls for a DexMerc.
Also, would make a good hydraulic fluid or PSF.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
You can use it in almost any transfer case, differential, or gearbox.... that calls for a DexMerc.
Also, would make a good hydraulic fluid or PSF.

I don't necessarily disbelieve this, but do you have a source?

The power steering system won't care about friction modifiers being different but it would need to be correct viscosity range for the intended application. Probably would work fine in GM systems calling for regular psf.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
The power steering system won't care about friction modifiers being different but it would need to be correct viscosity range for the intended application. Probably would work fine in GM systems calling for regular psf.

Materials compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back