Options 2007 or 2008 vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all

I have to buy a newer car by the end of the year to keep doing Uber rides.

The years that make the most sense for me (mileage deduction vs depredation are 2007 and 2008) That way I get to deduct 54.5 cents but my car does not lose anything near that in value.

What larger 4 door car (or engine transmission) would you buy in those years. For the most part Toyota's and Honda's bring too much for me.
I got a great year from a 2004 Grand Prix but it will be too old by Jan 1.

I read a thread here about the GM 3900 engine It was not good.
Are there any cars with no built in issues... or What cars/engine tranny's have known issues?
(As in I've been told to stay away from the Honda Odyssey vans as the trannys go)

Thanks

Look into Ford Fusion and Mazda 6 with the 2.3L 4 cylinder engines. These are dirt cheap used but are as reliable as Toyota and Honda.
Maintenance is of course much more important than the badge on used cars, so I would shop condition, not brand.

Last edited:
Depreciation is only part of the equation - a car that old being used for fleet duty will need extra maintenance, which will add up over time.

Originally Posted by oilpsi2high
Depreciation is only part of the equation - a car that old being used for fleet duty will need extra maintenance, which will add up over time.

Good point. That said I only work weekends averaging 1500 miles a month.
My 3800 Pontiac 90,000 miles to 109,000 just needed a water pump, oil changes and an AC blower fan. I would love to repeat that performance...Looking to get the best chance. Avoiding problem cars

I did do the Intake manifold manifold gaskets as a preventative measure as I was planning on giving the car to my son but sadly he just passed away.

Last edited:
[I was planning on giving the car to my son but sadly he just passed away. [/quote]

I am really sorry for your loss...had it happen to me about 14 years ago. Don't know if it was expected or not, but even if expected, it's very hard.

Thoughts, prayers and hugs to you, especially this time of year.

Thanks very much!

4 year battle. Bad bone break. Oxycodone to nothing. Then Oxy that went for $20 on the street to $6 dollar heroin. (It was 100 when I was 17-20)

Just when I though we had won the battle and the risk of death was gone.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Crown Vic or Mercury Grand Marquis. Will run forever if maintained.

I tend to agree. Just have not seen the right one.
I saw the Impala but....

Thankfully I work for a bigger car auction

Last edited:
Originally Posted by clarkflower

Oh, I'm jealous! I'd be in trouble if I had access to auction cars.

I agree with a lot of the recommendations- Crown Vics/Grand Marquis are excellent choices, as is the Ford Fusion, Mazda 6, and of course a Camry or Accord. I believe the GM 3.5L is also a pretty stout engine as well which you can find in the Impala and Pontiac G6.

A well maintained manual transmission 2007 2.4L 4cyl Accord will sell at a large discount compared to an automatic one. I'd avoid the 2008 model because of brake issues. The 2007 was an older style and all of the bugs were worked out. The 2007 V6 model requires a timing belt charge around 105K, so I'd avoid that.

Originally Posted by JustN89

I agree with a lot of the recommendations- Crown Vics/Grand Marquis are excellent choices, as is the Ford Fusion, Mazda 6, and of course a Camry or Accord. I believe the GM 3.5L is also a pretty stout engine as well which you can find in the Impala and Pontiac G6.
Just beware of the torque converters in the Vic and Marquis, air suspension issues in the Marquis, and the 4T65Es in the GMs. Been there done that on all of them. I'd say Vic ftw, but that gas mileage may not be ideal for Uber. No questions on the 4.6L though. Owned 5 of them, my favorite engine of all time.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by JustN89
JLTD said:

'd say Vic ftw, but that gas mileage may not be ideal for Uber. No questions on the 4.6L though. Owned 5 of them, my favorite engine of all time.

Thanks

When I work, weekends 5-10 pm, I average 22 an hour so fuel is not an issue. My Pontiac 3800 sucks fuel around town. I have tried weekdays but at 8 an hour and I supply a car and gas, I won't do it.

Saw a 3-4 y/o impala with all sorts of warning lights like "Service Electric Power steering" and a CEL. Would have been about a 2011 spotted in 2014-15. No thanks!

I repeat the idea of a 4 cyl camry or fusion, the base model with cheaper tires and consumables.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Look into Ford Fusion and Mazda 6 with the 2.3L 4 cylinder engines.
These are dirt cheap used but are as reliable as Toyota and Honda.

Ditto!!!

Originally Posted by eljefino
Saw a 3-4 y/o impala with all sorts of warning lights like "Service Electric Power steering" and a CEL. Would have been about a 2011 spotted in 2014-15. No thanks!

I repeat the idea of a 4 cyl camry or fusion, the base model with cheaper tires and consumables.

My friend has 350,000 on his 2009 Impala, original everything except brakes

Thanks

When I work, weekends 5-10 pm, I average 22 an hour so fuel is not an issue. My Pontiac 3800 sucks fuel around town. I have tried weekdays but at 8 an hour and I supply a car and gas, I won't do it.
Although, I forgot you said a newer one, 2007-2008 or up
33.gif
. Disregard what I said about torque converters, I have no idea how the newer ones are. I only know the 4R70Ws.

Also, I have heard the 3V heads were a little problematic, but no experience with those either. I can only speak for '98-'04.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back