Opinions on Toyota 8 speed Transmission.

Any opinions on a 2020 Toyota 8 speed Transmission lifespan? Wondered how these are holding up. The transmission I have Is used in the Sienna/Highlander/4Runner etc. What fluid change interval should I follow? Plan on using OEM fluid as I’m under warrant. I’m not planning on doing the 150,000 fluid interval

Same Aisin unit as in my 2020 Tiguan? If so it has been fine so far at a little over 70,000 miles. I've done a fluid replacement twice so far using Maxlife and the second drain was much more red in color than the first one. The first drain I replaced the filter but not the second time and I didn't see much of anything in the filter at 35,000 miles.

35K or so is not an unreasonable interval in my opinion but I'm sure you could go longer if you wish. It's not a difficult task on the VW.

You are referring to more than one kind of transmission. 4R is RWD, sienna and highlander are FWD, etc..

ive owned a number of aisin transmissions, used in Toyotas Volvos and even an older Jeep. They are a “known good quality” to me. They occasionally have a model-specific weakness, or a weakness in a particular application, but in general I find aisin transmissions to be a Good Thing.

You are referring to more than one kind of transmission. 4R is RWD, sienna and highlander are FWD, etc..

ive owned a number of aisin transmissions, used in Toyotas Volvos and even an older Jeep. They are a “known good quality” to me. They occasionally have a model-specific weakness, or a weakness in a particular application, but in general I find aisin transmissions to be a Good Thing.
This is a FWD for a Toyota Sienna.

I have a 2017, it failed when it was new around 15K but Toyota replaced it under warrranty.
So far so good. It is about 85K now.

I have just done a drain and refill once at around 80K with Valvoline Maxlife ATF.

Back