Opinions on new line trimmer please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate all the comments and never realized the weight factor with a 4 stroke unit. With the suggestions, I avoided something I am sure I wouldn't have been happy with.

The Echo SRM225 comes with a 5 year consumer warranty. My local lawn mower shop sold me one for $20 more than Home Depot. They unpackaged the unit, put gas in it started it up in front of me to verify proper operation, showed my how to operate it and how to re-spool the SPEED FEED bump head and filled out the warranty registration online. Then after a couple of hours in service, I brought it in and they adjusted the carb for free. It was well worth the $20 over Home Depot. No one mentioned the Echo speed feed head that is far superior to any other head on the market "no disassembly or tools required to reload" and many people install this head on other trimmer models including Stihl. It is a little over your budget, but I payed $220 for mine and I would highly recommend it!

I have a Stihl chainsaw and have heard their trimmers are amazing so I'd go stihl. I have a Troy Bilt 4 cycle and while it (surprisingly) starts up and works just fine, it can get very heavy...and I'm not even weak or anything. It just gets really freaking heavy as you walk around with it.

Originally Posted by Lubener
I appreciate all the comments and never realized the weight factor with a 4 stroke unit. With the suggestions, I avoided something I am sure I wouldn't have been happy with.

Even picking up in the store you don't notice it. But trim for a while and walk with it and you will feel it in your forearms and shoulders.

I'm going to be contrarian and say go with the cheapest 2 stroke you can find on sale somewhere. Here's my reasoning:

I bought the top of the line and fairly expensive Husqvarna in the hope it would stay trouble free for longer than my previous trimmer. It didn't. The problem with any new small engine is the EPA mandated crappy carb and crappy gas. They almost all use the same Chinese carbs that aren't adjustable without special tools. Even with a steady diet of alcohol-free gas and stabilizer my carb is clogged and won't run without being partially choked. So now I have to buy a new carb because it's cheaper to bolt on a new Zama carb from eBay than rebuild the old one.

Since you are likely going to be taking off the carb and throwing it away every few years it isn't economically sound to buy an expensive trimmer. Buy the cheapest one that meets your needs and has the features you like. All I care about is that it will accept the detachable accessories because I have several of them.

Don't buy a recycled brand -- one that used to be reliable but whose name was sold and outsourced to the highest bidder.

You can easily get a decade or more of good service from a Stihl or Echo with minimal maintenance, normal fuel and without swapping any carbs.

The advice given above will likely yield a poor performing trimmer whose saving grace is that it will only perform poorly for a year or two! I've tried the cheap gas trimmers, they are pure junk.

Why not go electric?
They're cheap, lightweight, strong, start each time every time, and get the job done.
I've got a Hecht 1445 and it's a beast. Not sure it's available in your neck of the woods though. 1400W corded. Takes 2.4mm line.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Don't buy a recycled brand -- one that used to be reliable but whose name was sold and outsourced to the highest bidder.

You can easily get a decade or more of good service from a Stihl or Echo with minimal maintenance, normal fuel and without swapping any carbs.

The advice given above will likely yield a poor performing trimmer whose saving grace is that it will only perform poorly for a year or two! I've tried the cheap gas trimmers, they are pure junk.

I will say I have been very pleased with my Echo saw, and it gets used a lot less frequently than my trimmer. After the third time replacing the hardened and cracked fuel lines on my McCulloch saw I broke down and bought a new top handle Echo and have been quite happy with it.

I don't know if I am swayed by your argument in regard to trimmers because my understanding is that because of relatively new rule changes even the high end models are stil hampered by the same rules for pollution and fuel consumption as the cheap ones. Tiny carb passages don't know whether they are attached to a pro model trimmer or an el-cheapo.

Home Depot has the Milwaukee M18 String Trimmer for $199 today with 9Ah battery and charger.

I have a 4 stroke Stihl. It's good, and it cuts/trims very well. I have used it for 4 years now, and I have had no issues with it at all. Much better than the Homelite POS I had before, but it was quite a bit more $$$.

But the electric trimmers are nice. Quieter and most are lighter. I use one at a relatives home fairly often, and sometimes wish I had one!

If you mostly use string and no attachments, I would strongly consider electric.

How long will a good electric trimmer run in heavy grass? I would be amenable to an electric unit if I could do the whole big yard/field with one.

No carb issues with an electric.

Longest I'd say was about 3 hours for me. That was when I bought it and grass and weeds were between knee and hip already! There is supposedly an overheat-shutoff switch but it has not activated since owning it.
Video is not mine, but same machine.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant how long would a charge last for a battery powered trimmer. That one is corded.

There's no access to power in most of the places I run a trimmer.

I have a TroyBilt 2 cycle that I bought last year. Toughest one yet and only problem is feeder for trim string which I have since figured out. I will run through at least 3 tanks of fuel during cuts on yard. Lots of ditch cleaning and tall grass on 3 acres. It takes me 2 days with rider, push, electric weedeater and gas weedeater. What I found out is use midgrade gas in open if you don't want carburetor problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back