OnStar to allow police to slow vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to picture a scenario where the police could abuse this to the detriment of the car owner, and I can't think of one. Can someone give an example?

Good for GM and OnStar.

This will beat the heck out of cops chasing people through red lights, shooting at them, and all the other mayhem associated with reckless car chases. If the cops abuse their power, see them in Court.

My GTO has a black box data monitor. I could care less. It's as much for my protection as it is GM's. I don't care about it being used to rat me out if I've done something - you're not much of a man if you can't be straightforward and truthful about what you've done, and accept the consequences that flow from it.

Things like this will happen because it will be driven by insurance companies. They are taking a beating right now because of so many problems like uninsured drivers and theft. Onstar can be setup so that if you disable it the car just won't run. Onstar can be hidden to the point that you would have to dismantle and sandblast the car and cut it apart to have any chance of finding it. One of my employees had his car stolen and the Police chased it all across town and when they stopped it was totaled. He got screwed by the insurance company and spent a lot of time in court. When his car was stolen the owner saw it happen. You can bet he would have made that call to Onstar to have his car stopped. His vote would be to completely disable the engine and lock the doors. He would have liked to have had the chance to explain to the visitor from the south that took his car how unhappy he was. The explanation would only take a couple of minutes and there would be no language barrier because he would only use those methods of communication that are universally understood. I asked everyone in the shop today and got 100% yes votes.

Quote:

I was behind a Cadillac the other day that I'm sure already had this feature, and the cops must have been closing in on him.

crackmeup.gif
crackmeup.gif

as long as I don't get speeding tickets in the mail because onstar told the local police I was driving 50 in a 45 mph zone.

Quote:

This is nothing but a good thing in my opinion. It is likely to save lives. If this was so easy to hack into do you really think gm would do it? Do you really think they would introduce this system without any security considerations. They're not trying to control you they're trying to stop a stolen car before the crack addict behind the wheel runs a red light and takes out a van full of kids.

Not for sure if this is sarcasm or not. I assume not.

I do believe GM would do this no matter the security considerations either way. Of course they will employ some sort of K-Mart blue light special security considerations. But I've also read about a company up in the PNW that has a lot of product in the marketplace but still tons of security problems. Some dude named Bill. But I'm sure he will shut it all down ASAP until they get the security problems under control.
smirk.gif
But heck, what am I thinking? You are right - it's for the children. It will make us all safer so we can just all get along.

a disgruntled wife calls the police that her 07 cadillac cts with plate number blah blah was stolen. the husband is driving and the vehicle shuts off on the interstate. hmmm

They will call the vehicle, and if it isn't hotwired (key in ignition) and husband knows the 4 digit code the customer provides OnStar with when they bought the vehicle, he'll keep right on rolling.

Quote:

Quote:

This is nothing but a good thing in my opinion. It is likely to save lives. If this was so easy to hack into do you really think gm would do it? Do you really think they would introduce this system without any security considerations. They're not trying to control you they're trying to stop a stolen car before the crack addict behind the wheel runs a red light and takes out a van full of kids.

Not for sure if this is sarcasm or not. I assume not.

I do believe GM would do this no matter the security considerations either way. Of course they will employ some sort of K-Mart blue light special security considerations. But I've also read about a company up in the PNW that has a lot of product in the marketplace but still tons of security problems. Some dude named Bill. But I'm sure he will shut it all down ASAP until they get the security problems under control.
smirk.gif
But heck, what am I thinking? You are right - it's for the children. It will make us all safer so we can just all get along.

I was sincere. I have a relative who works for onstar and I can tell you that people are not going to be hacking this system and shutting your car off. They have been able to shut down your car all along but there were all kinds of legal hassles to overcome until they could actually begin working with the police to do it. The police can't shut your car off, they call onstar when it is safe to do so and then onstar will slowly stop you. Unless the police call them they won't be monitoring you at all. Why do people assume that anyone is "watching"? Believe me the people at onstar are too busy to bother with looking into your driving habits.

There will always be bad apples at every company. Ten years ago the second biggest cash heist happened here in Charlotte. It was a simple, stupid inside job pulled off by a hillbilly working at Loomis and his idiot friends. Employees get mad, they get greedy, they make mistakes.

Quote:

"Parsons was Winston's fellow employee at the Ministry of Truth. He was a fattish but active man of paralyzing stupidity, a mass of imbecile enthusiasms—one of those completely unquestioning, devoted drudges on whom, more even than on the thought police, the stability of the Party depended."
- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 2

I would like the lawyer guys here to chime in on GM's possible liability of accidents it *could* have avoided if OnStar would have been used/worked properly.

I'm sure the lawsuits will be in the hundreds of millions of dollars against GM. I can see every bit of profit from this venture being transferred to only a few folks who get the 8 or 9 digit rewards.

the whole onstar thing scares me. i dont think ill ever own a car with that type of system installed.

whats next for onstar, a breathalizer asministered to the driver before they are allowed to start the car?

how about an automatic seatbelt device. if yours isnt locked in and clenched down, it wont let you run the motor.

/my huggles my honda/

thank you honda for not having any scary onstar type things that can record my vvoice or cut my engine. ill never own a car with any sort of computer line onstar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back