? on Rotella smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Dello and Mobil delvac 1300 before, I just changed the oil out to Rotella 15w40 and it has a different smell to it, it almost smells like a slight gear oil smell to it, anyone else notice this or no what the different smell is.

Shell uses salicylate detergent chemistry whereas most other mfgs use phenates and sulfonates for detergents.
I don't know if that accounts for the smell difference.

Charlie

I love the smell of Rotella...even out of the bottle!
lol.gif

M37charlie, that is a great answer to my question, although I don't understand any of it. Does that mean it cleans better, holds up under load better.

And to you D-Roc I must have been lost or something, what is the deal with the snake,frog and flies.

I think I like the Rotella pretty good, but it is Mighty tempting to go and buy some more Delvac, right now is is 9.50 a gallon and you buy 2 get 1 free after rebate, you can get 4 rebates so thats paying for 8 gallons getting 12, But I really don't like it as good as the Rottella, no strong data to stand on just a mind thing.

Regarding the smell and the additive packages, it makes for great internet chat. But it likely means nil in the real world.

All the major players (Delo, Delvac, Rotella, VPB, Tection Extra, etc) all have slightly different base stock configuration and additive packages. That is the whole point of free market solutions.

But, the output of those products is actually quite similar, if not the same. They all protect against wear, fight contamination, and resist heat to a degree that suffices the OEM criteria, and API, SAE, ILSAC specifications. Different roads to the same destination.

Yeah I don't think smell means much at all. But...I love the smell of Rotella 15w-40. My kids will probably have two heads and glow in the dark but oh well.

I had read about others who changed their oil to Rotella in a dodge diesel said they could smell it bad right after the change at stop lights, not sure if they may have spilled it or not. But on mine when I was checking the dipstick level it had a funny smell and the closer I got to it the more I thought it smelled like gear oil, which I would think their is no place for gear oil in the engine.

Rotella smell I am used to, but yes it does smell.

I tried a jug of MC 15w-40... there is another STRONG smell... a different smell also, but very strong.

Delo does not have too much of a smell.

I used to use Rotella a while back in my 2002 F350 7.3, and I remember someone commenting on the Rotella smell. I did infact smell the Rotella, and it did have an odd odor compared to other 15w40 oils.I am now using Delo 15w40, no odd smell.

Rotella may have a peculiar smell but it's by far and away the most used oil according to the respondents of a poll I saw on the Diesel Truck Resource website. I think the poll was a year or two old. Personally I have never smelled the stuff so I can't comment on that. I wonder if there is any correlation between the smell and its' popularity?

I just stuck my nose in my 4L jug of Rotella T6. Now that it has been mentioned, it definitely smells different than any other dino or synthetic oil I have ever used. I'll post the smell up on a youtube video :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
I just stuck my nose in my 4L jug of Rotella T6. Now that it has been mentioned, it definitely smells different than any other dino or synthetic oil I have ever used. I'll post the smell up on a youtube video :)

You should do it during a spring snow storm down on Portage ave when it's really windy...make a 3 minute vid.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: D-Roc
You should do it during a spring snow storm down on Portage ave when it's really windy...make a 3 minute vid.
lol.gif

Only if you do a youtube video of a P&W or GE at 100% N1 and a TOT of 1000C. You should have easy access to that at Cold Lake.

I can smell it on my dodge cummins and big trucks out of the breather too. Seems to go away from the breather tube in a few months.

To me T5 10w30 and T6 5w40 smell almost identical: they both have a "synthetic" odor to them. Regular Rotella T 15w40 smells different, more like a regular motor oil.

Quote:
Shell uses salicylate detergent chemistry whereas most other mfgs use phenates and sulfonates for detergents.

So it has aspirin in it?

This would explain why Rotella has never clogged the oil journals and galleries of my engines with sludge. Very therapeutic.
55.gif
55.gif
55.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back