On backup power due to storm

I’m watching the hours on my generac for just that.

Cummins & Kohler never returned my calls or emails so business went to generac. Mines too loud & I wish I’d opted for a water cooled unit. Live/learn.

It's always a mystery to me when people dont call you back - the local Pella window place just lost a house full of windows to Anlin.

Sometimes people don't seem to want or need or care about the business.

Curious how hard it really is to check lash, is it a rocker with a jam nut or a shim setup?

I’m watching the hours on my generac for just that.

Cummins & Kohler never returned my calls or emails so business went to generac. Mines too loud & I wish I’d opted for a water cooled unit. Live/learn.
What model is your Gererac? They have a wide selection of models.

I am considering a multi fuel model from a gas only type now.

It's always a mystery to me when people dont call you back - the local Pella window place just lost a house full of windows to Anlin.

Sometimes people don't seem to want or need or care about the business.

Curious how hard it really is to check lash, is it a rocker with a jam nut or a shim setup?
I’d have to read the manual again tbh. I browsed it when I got it last year but I’ve slept since then 😉

What model is your Gererac? They have a wide selection of models.

I am considering a multi fuel model from a gas only type now.
It’s the 18kW air cooled. V Twin. I should remember the model & engine but haven’t racked up enough hours for a service yet so just haven’t pulled the manual out.

Thanks. Cold weather outages are brutal. Your dad was no doubt a smart guy and knew what he had to do to keep the whole system from being destroyed. We dont get weather like that here at 1500FT, but we do get pole crashes and storm outages in the winter, and PSPS shutoffs in the summer - on the hottest driest days of the year.

There's just a lot of random instability in the mountain area here and not surprisingly there some like 250K miles of lines and poles throughout the PG&E areas of coverage. The late summer "public safety power shutoff" outages are nasty and dangerous usually on the heels of a month or more of 100+ degree days and no water or power for up to three days. This setup keeps the whole place going just like the grid.

This is as close to fully automatic and turn key as I could get it, and with equal opportunities in the winter and summer to go down. The % chance of an outage mysteriously multiplies whenever I'm on the road the road and my wife is alone.

I struggle with thinking I could have either downgraded to a 14 KW unit and saved a bit of money during low consumption running, or taken it up a notch to a geared slower turning water cooled unit that would be quieter, but this project took place amid 5 other gigantic money sinks, so I ended up with a pretty solid B+ solution implemented well, but not the highest end gear available.

Best sir!
My memory was off, January, 1978. The storm in this case was particularly challenging, for power, and for load on structures. Over a foot of snow, that then changed to freezing rain. The snow weighed down the trees (and the roof), the the freezing rain increased the weight, but the drains on the roof were plugged with snow. The roof came down just hours after UCONN had a basketball game.

For us, there were trees down everywhere, and the roads covered in ice. Ice that was over an inch thick on our street. You could walk on the sheet of ice that was on top of all that snow. Plows couldn’t get out, or climb hills, and the utility trucks couldn’t, either, right after the storm brought down a record number of trees with the weight.

I am not faulting the power company. The mixed precipitation was epic. Never seen anything like it, with that much ice on top of the snow.

But it was 6 days without power - and without power, in January, we had no heat. We had some wood for the fireplace, and went through all of it. The fireplace was a luxury, not a source of regular heat, but thank goodness for the backup, and thank goodness that we were big campers - so, sleeping bags for warmth, Coleman lantern for light (once all the batteries died, which was night one or two). Fortunately, any food we had kept just fine in the snow. No spoiling despite the loss of the refrigerator. Even more fortunate - we had a well that was significantly up the hill, and had water pressure. Cold, but you could cook, wash, and flush.

And it was six days before the roads were cleared enough to drive on.

No 4WD anything was negotiating our hill that was covered in ice and snow. No cars for six days was eerie as well. So quiet.

So - what did I learn?

You might not be able to get out, to anything, for a week when a true weather disaster strikes. No food, no fuel, no medicine. Better hope the water stays on - or it’s going to get even harder.

You have to plan for disasters . Food , water , prescription meds , fuel for generators , etc. Most parts of the country are vulnerable to some kind of natural disaster . Hurricanes , tornadoes , snow and ice , something . It's amazing how many people wait until the last minute to prepare , and some don't even do that . They wait for government help ...

My memory was off, January, 1978. The storm in this case was particularly challenging, for power, and for load on structures. Over a foot of snow, that then changed to freezing rain. The snow weighed down the trees (and the roof), the the freezing rain increased the weight, but the drains on the roof were plugged with snow. The roof came down just hours after UCONN had a basketball game.

For us, there were trees down everywhere, and the roads covered in ice. Ice that was over an inch thick on our street. You could walk on the sheet of ice that was on top of all that snow. Plows couldn’t get out, or climb hills, and the utility trucks couldn’t, either, right after the storm brought down a record number of trees with the weight.

I am not faulting the power company. The mixed precipitation was epic. Never seen anything like it, with that much ice on top of the snow.

But it was 6 days without power - and without power, in January, we had no heat. We had some wood for the fireplace, and went through all of it. The fireplace was a luxury, not a source of regular heat, but thank goodness for the backup, and thank goodness that we were big campers - so, sleeping bags for warmth, Coleman lantern for light (once all the batteries died, which was night one or two). Fortunately, any food we had kept just fine in the snow. No spoiling despite the loss of the refrigerator. Even more fortunate - we had a well that was significantly up the hill, and had water pressure. Cold, but you could cook, wash, and flush.

And it was six days before the roads were cleared enough to drive on.

No 4WD anything was negotiating our hill that was covered in ice and snow. No cars for six days was eerie as well. So quiet.

So - what did I learn?

You might not be able to get out, to anything, for a week when a true weather disaster strikes. No food, no fuel, no medicine. Better hope the water stays on - or it’s going to get even harder.

Wow 6 days. You guys were prepared and hardy.
I've only lived through couple of ice storms and it's unbelievably dangerous and destructive.

Last year there was so much wet snow you could hear trees snapping like guns going off, it was really scary.
In some areas it was dangerous to be outside because of all the limbs coming down.

It amazing to me when I hear that people lose fridges and freezers in freezing weather and a porch full of snow????

Cost to run was about 75 dollars in fuel for the 30 hours.

Basically 3 fivers of gasoline equivalent.

Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 5.01.06 PM.jpg

Basically 3 fivers of gasoline equivalent.

View attachment 202402
You might be able to apply for a partial refund on the gas due to the outage. PG&E Will compensate for hotels, this would be cheaper compensation so maybe give it a shot. I haven’t had an extended outage yet (past a few hours) so haven’t had the opportunity to try yet.

Wow! Even when utilities charge over 25c per kWh, running a generator is no bargain.

When power is out here, I initially run on my Subaru powered portable 5500W generator, its ready to go fast, but will easily burn 15 gal per day. After some time, I drag out the 2 cylinder Lister Diesel (Really an India Lister clone commonly known as a Listeroid) and hook that up with a 75 foot cord. It burns about 6-7 gal per day running the central AC. I've run that for months on end.

If fuel gets tight, which can happen, I switch to the single cylinder Lister diesel, 3 gal per day is normal. But not much power, about 3 Kw or so. (peak is 4400W, belching black smoke)

Wow! Even when utilities charge over 25c per kWh, running a generator is no bargain.

When power is out here, I initially run on my Subaru powered portable 5500W generator, its ready to go fast, but will easily burn 15 gal per day. After some time, I drag out the 2 cylinder Lister Diesel (Really an India Lister clone commonly known as a Listeroid) and hook that up with a 75 foot cord. It burns about 6-7 gal per day running the central AC. I've run that for months on end.

If fuel gets tight, which can happen, I switch to the single cylinder Lister diesel, 3 gal per day is normal. But not much power, about 3 Kw or so. (peak is 4400W, belching black smoke)

I love listers, especially the 6-1, but Ive seen a smaller unit that was really neat, but yeah - this thing is no bargain to run.
Seems to me they are best used for something like charging batteries, but Ive seen whole operation run off big ones that had a million hours on them.

It costs about what a 5-9K gas genny costs minus the hassle of getting the fuel and refueling of course.

It's also nice not to have to count watts and just go about your day as you would normally.

You might be able to apply for a partial refund on the gas due to the outage. PG&E Will compensate for hotels, this would be cheaper compensation so maybe give it a shot. I haven’t had an extended outage yet (past a few hours) so haven’t had the opportunity to try yet.

Ive wondered if I could petition a deal from them, but never bothered.

Back