Older Caravan?

I recall being warned about leadfree solder, VIN coded modules, and 4AT’s with the reliability of a wine glass, but are the pre-2000’s that problematic? Spotted a supposedly rustfree ‘98 on CL (supposedly not from a flood area either) so I’m curious, not the vehicle I want, but maybe a vehicle I could use.

They seem to leave blue plumes of smoke everywhere I see one. But that can be checked with proper oil or additives...

I have owned a 97, a 98, and two 99s. Very reliable vehicles except for the transmissions in the 97 and 98. By 99 the transmission had been improved. If the transmission in this 98 has been changed in the past, it has probably been upgraded and should be okay.
The 3.3 and 3.8 are good engines reaching 200,000 miles easily.

The headliner is can be a problem as KGMtech has mentioned but that is not an expensive repair.

Headliner held up with fender washers and drywall screws?
Missed that in the photos! does look to be drooping a bit. Contact cement and back it goes, or is it more involved than that?

Missed that in the photos! does look to be drooping a bit. Contact cement and back it goes, or is it more involved than that?
Screwing or pinning the headliner up is only a temporary fix. Glue won't really work as the foam backing of the headliner material turns to dust and some stays on the headliner making it impossible to glue anything to it. The only long lasting cure to remove the headliner, scrape it clean, and then re-glue new material.

Screwing or pinning the headliner up is only a temporary fix. Glue won't really work as the foam backing of the headliner material turns to dust and some stays on the headliner making it impossible to glue anything to it. The only long lasting cure to remove the headliner, scrape it clean, and then re-glue new material.
Sounds like a pain, but just labor, and on something that old, if it goes sideways, it doesn’t “have” to go back up.

Just keeping an eye out for my next vehicle. Something from the mythical rust-free lands that I don’t have to drive to get, always gets my attention. No use for 7 passengers, but something that can move stuff always appeals to me.

2nd the strut tower inspection.

We had 2 of them on the farm (98's) and they were beat up, but kept on running. 3.8L V6 was a trooper.

I think they are the best looking of all the generations as well. Dark Green was quite popular in the day.

I wouldn’t turn it away from consideration if it looks like it’s been well maintained. I had 2 of the next Gen, which were very similar. Due to the quantities of these sold, even the base models had good materials and interiors in them. I had two examples with transmissions that held up - one needed some help but the other was solidly reliable AND saw tow duty. The nice thing about these is that the repairs are usually straight forward and well documented. The downside is, there seemed to be a lot of cost cutting … in many places. The BCM will fail, period. It probably already has, and has been replaced. The engine hoses will rot, and probably already have, and been replaced. The solid rear axle beam can rust from the inside out, with no way of knowing, so be wary of that. So I wouldn’t buy one with “forever car” in the mantra, because it will require a lot of upkeep.

Back