Older car repair advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hollow
Older car repair advice

^ That's the title of this thread.

The advice you've been given is to NOT fix it and to get rid of it.

And now you're throwing a hissy fit because we're suggesting you get rid of that heap?

"Let me list all of the known issues with the car, then I'll yell at everyone who addresses all those issues."

Seriously Hollow, it's your car, do what you want. You received a lot of good advice in this thread from the "run it into the ground" crew to the "cost/benefit analysis guys". I'm not sure what you are so ticked about, but soliciting advice and then throwing a tantrum when you don't like that advice isn't necessary.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
An exhaust leak not a safety issue? It's the only thing you've listed that I would actually be concerned with fixing IMMEDIATELY.

That, and your failing head gasket is just waiting to total the car.

Fix it all, or none of it. And be ready to fix more.

As a former Master Tech. I'm just going to agree with this.

Ok, one more thing OP: Any "Mechanic" who doesn't think that an exhaust system which is full of holes and held together with hose clamps and exhaust tape is a safety hazard for occupants, is incompetent at best, and giving possibly lethal advice at worst.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: brave sir robin
worn out suspension parts will cause accelerated tire wear but thats really about the only real concern I would have with this car.

I have heard head gaskets are easy on these motors fwiw

Not too bad if heads are flat which is unlikely in this case. I would bet this beater has been overheated more than once. To replace HG's correctly could cost $2k alone. Would definitely fix this and exhaust as top priority.

Last edited:
I swear no one here reads a [censored] thing I've posted. And as such maybe I need to yell a bit:

I DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE EXHAUST LEAK AND NEITHER DOES MY MECHANIC. IT IS NOT A SAFETY ISSUE.

I DO NOT CARE THAT THE CAR IS NOT WORTH MUCH. MY WIFE WANTS HER CAR FIXED AND I WILL DO SO.

/end thread.

I get it. This forum looks at things from a money only perspective. I do not. My goal is to keep the vehicle on the road and out of the junkyard as long as it can be safely done.

A mod can close this or delete it. I don't care anymore.

Let's see here. A wife who is so narrow minded she wants to drop more $$ in an unmaintained car than it is worth and a husband who throws a tantrum better than a two year old. Sounds like you two are well suited for each other.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like it is time to move on. I went through similar issues with a 93 Aerostar a few years back. Even though I was able to do all of the repairs myself it still wasn't worth it. I took the $500 the junkyard gave me and was very happy in doing so.

Vehicle: 2003 Subaru Outback with 163,000 miles.

Car is my wife's daily driver. It is needing a goodly amount of repairs due to age/miles/issues from being in the rust belt for 12 years before escaping. Car is paid off, my wife likes it, and want to keep it as long as we can.

Issues and needs:
-Exhaust leaks all over the place as the entire system is rusting apart. Eventually needs replaced from engine to exhaust tip. Mostly patched together currently with hose clamps and exhaust tape.

If you don't believe this is a serious safety issue you are mistaken, any mechanic who says its not dangerous is either a total hack, a moron or both and that is a fact

Quote:
-Drivers side headgasket has let go, leaking oil and coolant externally. Not planning on repairing this, just keeping fluids topped up.

Common on Subaru, don't fix it and there is a very good chance it will need an engine sooner than later due to coolant in the oil.

Quote:
-All suspension parts are factory and could stand to be replaced eventually. No clunking or grinding, but bumps are getting more notable and one strut is starting to leak, along with front ball joints boots split, both control arm bushings leaking.

163K on original parts in the rust belt, torn boots and leaking strut. It needs a front end rebuild. bushings cant leak they wear out but are not liquid filled.
You say parts and labor so apparently you are paying for this to be done.

Quote:
-Electrical short in passenger door affecting lock and speaker. Haven't been able to figure this one out yet, it's intermittent.

The least of your worries.[/quote]

Quote:
-New front bumper support needed, my fog lights are cracked and the bumper support is too badly rusted to mount new ones. Repair cost: $100ish at a junkyard.

Non issue

Quote:
]MOST of these are age/miles/rust related. Replacing EVERYTHING will run close to $2000 in parts and labor, but I also don't want to set money on fire (see ignoring the HG and exhaust until they become critical).

The exhaust is critical right now and so is the HG if you want to keep this car. Ball joints with torn boots wear quickly and leaking struts are a safety item as it increases braking distance. The whole car is critical and if your paying for labor repairing this is close to insanity and definitely setting the money on fire.
I know this is not what you want to hear but these are the facts.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Older car repair advice

^ That's the title of this thread.

The advice you've been given is to NOT fix it and to get rid of it.

And now you're throwing a hissy fit because we're suggesting you get rid of that heap?

EXACTLY!!

Besides, what's so hard about finding another similar make/model in better condition? Money ahead....

"A fool & his money are soon parting ways........."

tumblr_o12szlRLyf1rqe0rbo1_540.gif

My wife would be screaming to high heaven if this were her car. Wait....she'd actually refuse to drive it. And she's driven half a dozen cars into the ground over the past 30 years. My last "into the ground" tub had leaky brake lines (I filled the reservoir after each local drive), half the emissions system was missing (it rusted off), the exhaust was 230K miles original but with numerous holes in it, two windows wouldn't work. The cam shaft sensor would come and go at times leaving the car un-startable for days at a time, the suspension was a rotted mess.

I spent $500 on rear suspension and realized my folly. Had I dumped $2,000 more into this heap I should have been shot. Ironically, the guy I sold it to for parts ($300) was trying to drive it home 50 miles away. He never made it home before the engine over-heated and seized up at 232K miles. It served me well, but should have been dumped by 150K-175K miles. My biggest mistake was not taking $600 for one door when offered....lol. I should have tried Flex Seal.
wink.gif

In most states, a holy and jury rigged exhaust system would fail safety/emissions inspection.

Rusty car with a blown head gasket spells junk yard.Most of us have already been there, done that,Save your money and time.

Recent issue of Hemmings Classic Car featured an original owner of a 50 Ford that had accumulated 300,000 miles over the last 67 years. He just kept replacing stuff, repairing rust, even a new frame at one point. It's not a show car. Very eccentric. I am prone to the same thing.

Have it fixed. Start with the head gaskets and exhaust. Then later the suspension bits. Address the rust.

Pre-emptive maintenance [as opposed to preventive ] might have prevented the car from getting into it's current state.

A lower mileage, more sound version of something similar might be less troublesome if intending on spending the money anyway.

Don't mean to sound like a scold, anything can be kept running if one is willing to put in the time and money. But start with a decent base.

I keep my cars a long time [one I've had for 35 years]. But even after chasing down every flaw on a low mileage 86 Olds Calais, I finally had to give up. Just too many $300 incidents before 50,000 miles. And a $500 trade in value at the time.

Hard for me to let any car go, but I'd seriously consider moving on from this one.

I got several chuckles outof this , although cars & money are serious subjects . Then throw in safety !

I tell people not to ask me a question if they are unprepared to hear my answer .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back