Old House on 1 Acre w/ Septic, Bad Buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Much ado about nuttin' here.

Having lived on property with both septic and a well for over a decade I can say that with a small amount of sense (it is not common) they can serve you reliably for as long as you want.

That has been my experience with respect to septic systems. The only caveat I'd mention is that some local health departments(like mine) are staffed by complete goofballs who want you to install what they think is the best septic system ever- and that changes from year to year based on what conventions they attend. When I added a 500' of lateral lines as a precaution I had a friend do the work without telling the health department nitwits, because even if there wasn't a percolation(or other) problem I am sure they would have made me spend $$$ to install their latest system du jour.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Much ado about nuttin' here.

Having lived on property with both septic and a well for over a decade I can say that with a small amount of sense (it is not common) they can serve you reliably for as long as you want.

That has been my experience with respect to septic systems. The only caveat I'd mention is that some local health departments(like mine) are staffed by complete goofballs who want you to install what they think is the best septic system ever- and that changes from year to year based on what conventions they attend. When I added a 500' of lateral lines as a precaution I had a friend do the work without telling the health department nitwits, because even if there wasn't a percolation(or other) problem I am sure they would have made me spend $$$ to install their latest system du jour.

Agreed. When we redid ours at move-in the drainfield was built to code and inspected. Our neighbor a few hundred feet away had one done a few years later and it involved some sort of Styrofoam fill which was new code. Complete garbage. It is already failing after 5 years or so!!!

Originally Posted By: SevenBizzos

Local ordinances vary widely. If sewer is "available", you may not be allowed to replace the septic. It's 300' around here to be considered "available". That can get expensive.

And if it's reasonable today the city might have to replace its treatment plant tomorrow. To finance it rates can triple overnight. Flint, MI residents have $200+ monthly water bills to pay off their repairs, for example.

If other things are right have the septic and well evaluated. Is the well dug and drilled?

You can build into sale price a new septic system or repairs . I did on my 1 acre Home with brand new septic as condition of sale. Prior owner got full asking -$20000 septic system -$5000 asbestos removal -$2000 softener
smile.gif
they seemed annoyed at closing.

If water & sewer is or will be available, then be warned. Usually the municipalities will condemn your well and force you to hook up. You usually can keep your well for watering yard etc but, must be disconnected from the cities supply. Ed

I would have the well water tested, (that does not cost much.)
If ST is working now, fine. If not, have seller either fix same or get a price reduction from property price.
If the well water tested ok and if you want the property and like the price. Buy It!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back