Finally A Homeowner Again!

Evening all! There have been a couple post by me that have hinted a new place for me. So, I figure I'll share it for all. Buying a house in these times has been rather difficult, but my realtor had did me a solid and this one didn't even go to market before I was able to put a contract on it. I had to make some compromises as far as my needs, but it hasn't been too bad.

I had lived in a rental house since December 2015. The house was nice, but after switching jobs the commute just wasn't cutting it anymore. I already put 15K miles on my truck since December 2020. Started looking around December '20, got my mortgage per-qualifications done, etc, etc. However as you all know the housing market at that time took a steep dive upwards. This priced most of what my wants and needs out of my budget. We looked at a couple here and there, but nothing seemed to "click" for me. October 2021 my work promoted me, which gave me a pretty decent pay increase. So, that expanded my budget considerably (50+K). Still couldn't find anything. Early December 2021 my realtor has some clients that just bought a house at auction and was getting a market evaluation. She told them she has a client (which would be me) in mind that would likely buy as is. Fast forward January 21, 2022, this one is mine!

GJrdAkh.jpg

UMrqxX2.jpg

pzhr4CO.jpg

PRHOFmW.jpg

It didn't click every box, and I more than likely paid a little too much. There's no garage currently, but once it warms up the carport will be easily converted. It's also on well and septic. While I have no problem with a well, the septic is a first for me. There's been some adjustment as to my waste usage, but I'm sure it'll be fine. While on a main road, it's out in the country. My only neighbors pretty much are a church, a pasture, and farm field. This house also cuts down my commute from 45-50 minutes to about 25. Also, in this township I got a card to take my garbage to the town building for free. Being on well and septic, no more water/sewer bills as well. So even paying more for a mortgage than my old rent, it almost equals out.

The house has been vacant for probably about 8 months, so there's been some issues here and there. But, nothing that I can't or haven't solved. I'm also only the second person since 1965 to actually live in this house. Previous owner was a smoker for sure, but that's nothing some cleaning and paint can't solve. It's a well built house; the floor joist are 2x10's! Which is actually rare for this area, most are 2x8's. My floors don't creak or give at all! There's also a cistern with its own separate pump that's tied to the spigots right now. Might tie into other stuff later. They had it feeding hot water, but I switched it over to the regular well (well water is softened).

Overall its been a journey, but this one is mine! Not as big and fancy as alot of people, but will suit me fine!

Looking good. Remember to have the septic tank pumped out, usually every three years or so. And have the well water tested for bacteria and nitrates as you are living in the country. Nitrates build up from fertilizer use.

I am in Centre County, PA so we are not too far apart. As a PA dweller you are no doubt used to the weather and all the poor bridges!

in this market to get the house, you did it extremely well

"as is" that means there is some work to be done on it likely but you're moved in so take it slowly

Congrats!

PS
with all that space around the house, the BITOG community can come and have some fun 😁

in this market to get the house, you did it extremely well

"as is" that means there is some work to be done on it likely but you're moved in so take it slowly

Congrats!

PS
with all that space around the house, the BITOG community can come and have some fun 😁

Yea, it's severely outdated for the most part. Nothing I can't spruce up over time. The bones of the house is very solid however. There's been a couple nick-nacky things that have appeared, but nothing bad. Owned a house in Mississippi that was built in the 1920's that was waaaay worse and we moved right into that one. I'm not one of those people that have to have it looking perfect right before move-in. I'll paint/spruce up a room here and there at my leisure. I got a hot shower and a place to lay my head, I'm good!

Yea, it's severely outdated for the most part. Nothing I can't spruce up over time. The bones of the house is very solid however. There's been a couple nick-nacky things that have appeared, but nothing bad. Owned a house in Mississippi that was built in the 1920's that was waaaay worse and we moved right into that one. I'm not one of those people that have to have it looking perfect right before move-in. I'll paint/spruce up a room here and there at my leisure. I got a hot shower and a place to lay my head, I'm good!
any work on the house is expensive these days, so save some money and go from there; also, you got the good rate too I suppose right on time before it goes up, that is very soon

Evening all! There have been a couple post by me that have hinted a new place for me. So, I figure I'll share it for all. Buying a house in these times has been rather difficult, but my realtor had did me a solid and this one didn't even go to market before I was able to put a contract on it. I had to make some compromises as far as my needs, but it hasn't been too bad.

I had lived in a rental house since December 2015. The house was nice, but after switching jobs the commute just wasn't cutting it anymore. I already put 15K miles on my truck since December 2020. Started looking around December '20, got my mortgage per-qualifications done, etc, etc. However as you all know the housing market at that time took a steep dive upwards. This priced most of what my wants and needs out of my budget. We looked at a couple here and there, but nothing seemed to "click" for me. October 2021 my work promoted me, which gave me a pretty decent pay increase. So, that expanded my budget considerably (50+K). Still couldn't find anything. Early December 2021 my realtor has some clients that just bought a house at auction and was getting a market evaluation. She told them she has a client (which would be me) in mind that would likely buy as is. Fast forward January 21, 2022, this one is mine!

GJrdAkh.jpg

UMrqxX2.jpg

pzhr4CO.jpg

PRHOFmW.jpg

Being on well and septic, no more water/sewer bills as well. So even paying more for a mortgage than my old rent, it almost equals out.
We were new to septic systems until we bought our current house. The best thing we did was have our septic system assessed and "tuned up" by some people who knew what they were doing. It takes a bit of time to figure out who is knowledgeable and who just fixes the current problem whatever that is, with the idea you'll be calling them regularly.

A number of our septic field runs were blocked with tree roots and pipes were broken here and there. It was probably functioning at 50% or less efficiency. Our septic tank was good though.

We're light water users and absolutely scrupulous about keeping grease out of our drains.

After a tune up and a bit of time to settle down, our field is now performing as it should and we're on a 5 - 7 year pump out schedule.

We moved from PA in 2005 so don't know how things are there now but here a septic system has to be pumped and certified before closing. We dealt with old faulty septic in PA you do not want to deal with it when things don't work. ASAP have it pumped out and inspected so you know what you've got then in 3 or 4 years have it pumped again then you'll know how it functions. Also good to know the details about the well and pump.

It's a great looking house, congrats 👏

^ what ecotourist said.

Wow vacant for 8 months is unthinkable in Utah. People getting sold in a week with a yardsign here.

Wow vacant for 8 months is unthinkable in Utah. People getting sold in a week with a yardsign here.

The original owner got put into a nursing home, so it was deeded to the daughter in the mean time. After she passed the house went up for auction. Luckily for me my realtor does stuff for the people who bought it at auction. I was able to buy it before it hit the market, so no competition and was able to work out the price easier.

My mortgage company was super easy to work with and communication was easy. I did have all my documents in PDF form ready to go, so that made it easier as well.

Back