Primer bulb rant

I went to pump up the primer bulb on my 9.5 Evinrude this afternoon and it sprayed gas all over me. The best price I can find in a physical store for a new primer bulb is $19. Or I can buy a four pack of sketchy Chinese ones that have 0% chance of meeting the air quality standards for $15 on Amazon.

Gee thanks, EPA. You’ve totally solved the pollution problem now.

On the bright side, at least one of my old six gallon steel fuel tanks is still functional so when this plastic one inevitably cracks I won’t have to spend $60 on another disposable tank.

Are you talking about THIS :

1694845085886.png

OR THIS :

1694845148937.png

That's what I thought. I would go with the 4-pack of the Chinese one's on Amazon. Chances are the $19.00 one comes from China as well, and is just repackaged.

And with having a 4-pack, just keep an eye on it. They'll usually show signs of mild surface cracking long before they split apart and make a mess. You'll see it when you squeeze it.

I have a couple of 50' retractable air hose reels in my garage. They have shown mild surface cracking on the surface rubber of the hose itself for about 3 years now. But both still hold 95 PSI just fine.

The bulbs that Yamaha uses seem to be more robust and problem free. My boat has one that’s 6 years old. I’ve had those light cheap ones. They are good for about two years.

Back