Old Century battery charger

If he can fix it for a few dollars, what's the harm in that?
Absolutely none.
The OP's description evoked an "end of the road" feeling.
The question regarding selenium or silicone rectifiers had me wondering about parts availability and the overcharging scenarios didn't sound like the groundwork for a happy ending.

Always fix whatever you want. It nurtures the soul...for sure.

I bet a working, LED winking charger / booster, even in well-used condition, would sell.....or continue to be used.

Neighbors know and rely on my ancient 12-6 V basic.
It's a rebuild....a clone got crushed....the subassemblies' leads have spade connections.

If the switch it not proprietary, you can probably find it on Mouser. I needed a power switch for an older ShopVac that was not available separately from the manufacturer. I found it on Mouser for $1.30. Bought two so I have a spare. There are tons of Youtube videos on repairing stuff...sometimes they even list parts sources and part numbers.
I should have said "it was not available from Century for over 10 years. It was $24 from PLP Battery shipped.

Selenium Rectifiers get weak unlike silicon, and sometimes they explode and give off a horrible smell. They were used for many years because they were much easier and cheaper than using a transformer and a rectifier tube .

Selenium Rectifiers get weak unlike silicon, and sometimes they explode and give off a horrible smell. They were used for many years because they were much easier and cheaper than using a transformer and a rectifier tube .

This. Not just in something like a battery charger, but in many consumer electronics made into the early 1970s. I encountered it all the time in vintage tube equipment work.

And there is nothing you can do to stop them from degrading and failing. The selenium junctions, merely exposed to atmosphere, chemically degrade over time. And as the junctions degrade, their efficiency drops, their operating temperature rises, and the pass through voltage begins to drop. And that increased temperature just accelerates the process. Eventually, the junction overheats and explodes. And it's not unlike a pole cat thoroughly doing its business all over the chassis.

In some equipment, the declining voltage can cause a lot of collateral circuit damage before they blow. Most NOS seleniums you stumble on are not hermetically sealed, and are just as degraded and unstable now as the ones in service. So the seleniums are the first things to come out on any equipment I work on.

On a museum-grade piece where you want to retain original appearances, you can sometimes fit discrete silicon replacements in the gutted-out flat packs, but that's as far as you can go with them. On the open stacked ones, there is not much you can do except remove them.

Otherwise, a modern silicon replacement bridge is inexpensive, and will usually outlive the equipment.

I inherited a late 60s Sears 'Best' charger over 30 years ago that was stuffed with seleniums, and it surprisingly was still working within spec. It got a silicon transplant anyway, and soldiered along for another 15 years, until I replaced it with a much bigger Rizk (which are as old-school durable as it gets).

Selenium rectifiers had a lot of internal resistance. When replaced with silicon diodes it is sometimes necessary to insert resistors to compensate.

Selenium rectifiers had a lot of internal resistance. When replaced with silicon diodes it is sometimes necessary to insert resistors to compensate.

On older equipment, you sometimes have two reasons to trim down the power supply rails to bring them back into spec.

The other is that most of the equipment using seleniums were designed for 1950s and 60s mains voltages, typically about 7-10VAC lower than we see today in most of the US. That may not amount to much on something like a battery charger that is primarily a step down supply. But on an aggressively designed tube circuit that is pushing outputs nearer to their plate voltage limits to begin with, that's enough to start causing some issues.

Ironically, failing seleniums would sometimes sag down the higher working voltages into the design range ... right before they exploded.

Back