Ok to use cam cap with minor scratch/nick?

I noticed a very minor nick and scratch on one of my cam caps that I can just feel with my fingernail. I removed the cap and immediately placed it in a marked plastic bag with the loose bolts, but was very careful when setting them down so I would be surprised if one of the bolts scratched it. I looked at it closely under a magnifying glass, but can't tell if my fingernail is just catching a depression or if there is raised metal. Would it be ok to use this as is?

CamCap.jpg

Note that all of the other transverse scratches that can be seen in the picture other than the one circled in red were caused by lightly running my fingernail over the surface and look worse in the photo than they are due to the zoom. Was kind of surprised at how easily this scratched because I was barely touching the surface with my fingernail.

Last edited:
Probably be okay.

If you’re worried pick up something like this Arkansas stone and lightly rub it, if it’s raised it’ll get shiny as the stone rubs it and you’ll feel it. I use these all the time to ensure there is absolutely no burr on parts I machine without scratching the rest of the surface up.

It's fine, it's not that much. And yeah i too was surprised to see just how soft these are.

Back