Oil Supply in Stores

ships from all over the world and this is currently a major issue. Expect it to last for a couple years as the world catches up with production after covid.
We ship containers from Europe to the US and the only issue we have is we inquire about a container and the shipper gives us date options, vessels, etc and if you don't book/reserve it almost immediately, you'll lose it and end up with a later sailing. The most recent container took less than (4) weeks door-to-door. On the US side, there's two issues - 1) short supply of drivers who deliver the containers from the port to our location and 2) the rail yards only allow 24 hour storage once they arrive at the yard. A year ago, you'd have 3-5 days.

All COSTCO is doing is gaining more control of part of the process. They can still have the same issue many have (though this seems to mostly be an issue on the west coast) and that is the same # 1 I mention above. The linked article refers to this as well.

Yup, the shelves on all 6 local WMs are barren of oil. I'd say on average about 80% empty.

I suspect I know where it went though.... (evil laugh)....

The Great Oil Harvest Hurricane Walmart event....View attachment 72549View attachment 72550View attachment 72551View attachment 72552View attachment 72553View attachment 72554View attachment 72555View attachment 72556View attachment 72557

8E2402F3-4C19-4675-8C1C-5F44457ADDC1.jpeg

Is it just me or has anyone noticed that some oils that were always in stock are now hit or miss. I stopped by my local Walmarkts this weekend and the shelves were less that half stocked. Several weights and brands completely out of stock. I will say that this particular store is known for poor customer service and not keeping their shelves stocked.
You know I hadn't really noticed. Its times like this that those of us that have a stash shrug our shoulders and laugh!

We ship containers from Europe to the US and the only issue we have is we inquire about a container and the shipper gives us date options, vessels, etc and if you don't book/reserve it almost immediately, you'll lose it and end up with a later sailing. The most recent container took less than (4) weeks door-to-door. On the US side, there's two issues - 1) short supply of drivers who deliver the containers from the port to our location and 2) the rail yards only allow 24 hour storage once they arrive at the yard. A year ago, you'd have 3-5 days.

All COSTCO is doing is gaining more control of part of the process. They can still have the same issue many have (though this seems to mostly be an issue on the west coast) and that is the same # 1 I mention above. The linked article refers to this as well.
The "ALL COSTCO is gaining more control of part of the process " sounds like a big deal to me. As your whole paragraph states is you really are at the mercy of the shipper and you are. More so a chain like Cosco which can not have interruptions in their supply chain.

... and once in the USA more issues.

So yeah, Cosco gaining control of the process so they are not at the mercy of the industry as a whole or better said less at the mercy might seem like a noble effort to try.

I am sure you have WAY MORE experiences shipping from the sound of your post.
My wife works for a large company that imports from around the world, shipping is the dicey part of her VERY time sensitive industry right now and costs through the roof.
I also have an inlaw, small business who imports seafood, wow did they and still have issues, from the cost of containers to outrageous costs once in storage (as you also mention) in the USA. On top of that his is refrigerated.

Again, I dont know anything about the industry but I do know people and businesses have issues with shipping and its costly so I can see the appeal of Cosco wanting to control it. I guess...

The cost of group II and III base oils have gone through the roof over the past 6 months while availability has dropped. The cost of transport has also doubled. This may be forcing blenders to ration their supply by only producing their better selling and/or most profitable oil lines.

Walking through various stores it seems to be a hit and miss thing. My Fred Meyers store has full stock of apparel but down the road at Walmart the socks and underwear section is sparse. I see it in certain foods too.

Back