Oil Suggestion - 2004 Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
This vehicle has the 2.5L Subaru WRX STI engine in it from the factory. Platform is Turbo/AWD/Auto/Cobb Stage 2. It has an uber cool overpriced Mishimoto Magnetic Drain Plug on it too that I got for free (long story).

WRX and STI were too short to query in the search function and the majority of Foresters don't run Factory Turbos. Factory spec is 5w-30. I purchased the vehicle with 74k miles and the dealer religiously used a Synthetic Blend. It's first oil change Was Quaker State HP. I think that QS HP is either gone or the label has changed.

I have never liked the oil consumption on this vehicle (I have never monitored it closely but it burns oil almost as quickly as my Galant VR4 (also Turbo AWD) which seems to be around a quart every 1000 miles or less. If it sits for a few days, I get a small puff of blue smoke at startup as well. I have never owned a vehicle this reliable though. I wonder if the turbo seals are bad or if it is bad valve seals etc. Anyways, it is wife driven (pretty gently and rather rarely) and I prefer durability over gas mileage until I figure out what is going on. I own many other vehicles, so all I can do is bandaid the consumption. What would you run in this case and at what OCI?

Last edited:
Maxlife 5w30 (either the blend or the full synthetic version wil ldo), at the factory suggested OCI

QS HP and Torque power were both full synthetics, since replaced by QSUD.

What makes you think you have an STI motor in your XT?

Your answer is, as with any question: it depends. Based on how your wife drives, then any stout 5W-30 API-SN oil will suffice.

If you plan to drive more aggressively, then maybe something like Rotella T6, M1 0W-40 or GC 0W-30 might be in order.

Thanks for all of the posts. Any thoughts on OCI. Wife drives moderately hard.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Your answer is, as with any question: it depends. Based on how your wife drives, then any stout 5W-30 API-SN oil will suffice.

If you plan to drive more aggressively, then maybe something like Rotella T6, M1 0W-40 or GC 0W-30 might be in order.

What makes you think that I don't? That is a strange question.

Those things are such sleepers, can't imagine how much faster it is with the upgrades!

I would have to agree with the thicker 30 or other suggestions since its turbo and hard on oil. M1 0w40, Rotella T6 5w40, or GC 0w30.

If you want a 5w30 i would probably go with Castrol Edge with Ti if you can find it in the gold bottle.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Those things are such sleepers, can't imagine how much faster it is with the upgrades!

I would have to agree with the thicker 30 or other suggestions since its turbo and hard on oil. M1 0w40, Rotella T6 5w40, or GC 0w30.

If you want a 5w30 i would probably go with Castrol Edge with Ti if you can find it in the gold bottle.

It is a sleeper. Unfortunately this one is red and loud so it attracts unnecessary attention so I don't drive it.
smile.gif
The high shift points and large for a 4 cyl. displacement do not compliment the TD04 and the automatic tranmission unfortunately. It needs a much bigger turbo in my opinion. Thanks for the thoughts.

Last edited:
More OCI suggestions and maybe filter suggestions would be appreciated too. Factory OCI is only 3750.

Thanks so far!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dx92beater
Thanks for all of the posts. Any thoughts on OCI. Wife drives moderately hard.

Wife usually drives gently, but moderately when taking off with the vehicle cold.
eek.gif

My two cents. Stick to factory oci and use whatever oil Dino or synthetic you like.

My wife has done this since brand new with our 05 legacy gt with also a turbo 2.5 but more HP/torque. It does not consume a drop of oil and no issues with turbo/engine in 157k miles. Subaru did state 7500 oci but reverted to recommend 3750 oci within a year.

Given the short oci IMho synthetic is a waste.

Subaru specifically states in the owners manual that a heavier oil is required under certain driving conditions. WRX's & STi's beat up the best 5W30's and some owners claim high oil consumption until they switch to a 5W40. Visit the Subaru boards if your in doubt.
I'm thinking the best oil you can use is Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 with it's low NOACK rating.
You really need to learn more about your Subaru. That oil filter has the wrong bypass setting.

Thanks, lots of great posts in here. I might just go Rotella T6 and Pure ONE. I am sure it will be ok with the Havoline for now....but moving forward I will change it. Debating the OCI per some posters though.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Subaru specifically states in the owners manual that a heavier oil is required under certain driving conditions. WRX's & STi's beat up the best 5W30's and some owners claim high oil consumption until they switch to a 5W40. Visit the Subaru boards if your in doubt.
I'm thinking the best oil you can use is Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 with it's low NOACK rating.
You really need to learn more about your Subaru. That oil filter has the wrong bypass setting.

What filter has the wrong Bypass setting? I frequent the Subaru boards plenty, but I don't like to limit myself to a specific enthusiast demographic. I only bleed Mitsu as well. Wife and I have a fire and ice thing going on.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dx92beater
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

What makes you think that I don't? That is a strange question.

Hmm, thought these came with EJ255s, even that far back. Is it a detuned EJ257?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

01.gif

I would not run the Havoline for more than 3,000 miles. From the factory, you have an STI block (yes, EJ255) with a different manifold and ECU with a WRX turbo and the car is modified increasing HP 16% and TQ 21% according to Cobb (a very conservative estimate IMO). The thicker viscosity recommendations listed in the owner's manual would be a wise choice, IMO. After the Havoline, run anything that is not Resource Conserving. GC, BC, M1 0W-40, or RT6 would be my pick for parts store/Wal-Mart oils with an OCI of no more than 5-6k miles, regardless of UOA results. Do you know if your AVCS and turbo banjo bolt screens have been removed? With a very good protune you might be able to get away with an RC 5W-30 but the above oils that I mentioned are a no brainer.

My consumption is usually 1.5 to 2 quarts per 6k interval with any xW-40 and I can burn through a quart or more on a 600 mile one way drive to SC. I'm running Cobb Stage 1, OTS tune, on stock TD-04 turbo #3. The factory turbo was replaced at 62k due to excess oil getting passed the seals and that one lasted only 20k miles before oil starvation to the turbo running girly man oil beyond 3,750 mile intervals. The AP reflash was done after the second turbo replacement and I'm running all banjo bolt screens. You can replace the PCV but that didn't help my consumption.

If you absolutely want to run a 30 grade I would only use Motul 300V, Red Line, an ACEA A3 xW-30, or something like Amsoil HDD 5W-30. An HTHS of 3.5 or higher is your friend.

I keep it simple and run the OEM Honeywell blue can of death.

19.gif

-Dennis

Last edited:
Bluesubie knows his stuff!

Take a look at Amsoil full SAPS EFM 5W-40. Price is not crazy.

This thread gets me all excited waiting for my WRX. Yeah I'll run an API compliant 5W-30 (OE or XL) for the first couple three changes, then it's full SAPS EFM 5W-40 or HDD 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back